Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic GH2 - Any one have one

Started by loftus ·

  • 67Posts
  • 67Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GH2 - Any one have one

67 posts
  1. Thanks Alex,

     

    If the housing is under 2k it might be exactly what I am look at to replace my 7D Nauticam (don't use the 7D on land so looking for something smaller/cheaper for only underwater).

     

    Looking forward to getting some images of the new housing.

     

     

     

     

    Latest price list I have received puts the GH2 housing at $1550. We will be showcasing this new housing, alongside new housings for the Panasonic LX5 and Canon D60 at the London Dive Show next weekend.
  2. hey guys

     

    check out the in depth review by dpr

     

    the first time a m43rd camera being compared with a mid range dslr. (60d,d7000)

    with the suggested price of the gh2 and the housing mentioned,

    its very close to call between those dslrs and gh2.

     

    There's also an announcement about nikon mirror-less camera aims for enthusiasts,

    we just have to wait and see.

  3. where was the nikon mirrorless announcement? Not just a rumor? What lens mount?

  4. On the autofocus they say it is just as fast as the DSLRs for stationary subjects, but does not doquite as well, for subjects moving towards or away. Could be things moving fast like bicyclists...

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2/page9.asp

     

    ===========

    Panasonic's G-series has set the standard for contrast-detection autofocus for some time now, and the GH2 raises the bar again. At 120Hz the GH2's sensor's readout speed is considerably better than its siblings, which pays off in noticeably improved contrast-detection AF compared to the GF2 and G2. In fact, for day to day (i.e. non-specialized) use we consider the GH2's CDAF system to be virtually on a par with most competitive phase-detection systems in terms of its speed.

     

    As well as being pleasantly fast and responsive, focus accuracy is impressive too. As we've come to expect from cameras with high-end CDAF systems, the GH2 is unerringly accurate with static subjects, and you can be confident that when it confirms the subject is in focus, it really means it. It is easy to overlook Face Detection, but for casual photography it is enormously useful. We're not completely sold on the need for Face Recognition, but it works very well.

     

    The GH2's AF tracking mode is also pretty effective, reliably following subjects as they move around the screen. Although it is undoubtedly slightly quicker than the G2 and GF2, the GH2's autofocus system has similar difficulties when it comes to following subject movement towards or away from the camera. Basically, the AF system isn't always able to keep up with the camera's understanding of where the subject has gone, meaning that there's sometimes a little shutter lag while it catches up. If you continue to track the subject the camera will tend to get the focus right, but this does mean you sometimes miss the perfect moment when working with fast-moving subjects. (You can of course turn Focus Priority off, but this risks the image being out-of-focus). Hunting - where the AF system is unable to stay with its target and makes large experimental adjustments to re-acquire it - can also be an issue with the GH2, but only occasionally.

     

    To a large extent, this is simply a limitation of CDAF technology. A CDAF system has no way of knowing whether a subject is sharp or not without shifting focus back and forth to check the difference in contrast. When it comes to continuous CDAF, matters become even more complicated, since if the subject moves out of the plane of focus the system has no way of telling whether it has moved to a position behind the focal plane or in front of it, again, without shifting the focusing element/s back and forth to check. Not only is this more time-consuming than the equivalent operation in a phase-detection system, it also makes 'predictive' AF more processor-intensive. Obviously this creates problems when it comes to accurately tracking subjects moving towards or away from the camera.

     

    The increased speed of the GH2's sensor readout compared to other G-series (and indeed the Olympus PEN) cameras means that it can output subject contrast information more quickly, and we're left in no doubt after using the camera for some time that the GH2 offers the best all-round CDAF performance of any current camera. Ultimately though, while it bests its Micro Four Thirds peers, the GH2's continuous AF performance isn't quite up there with the phase-detection systems of competitive DSLRs.

     

    Where continuous AF comes in really handy is when shooting video. Although it displays the characteristic (and to some extent inevitable) CDAF 'wobble' when it initially locks onto a subject, focus is very smooth, and generally very accurate. Just as with still shooting, continuous AF can lag a little behind subjects which are either moving very quickly or are closing rapidly with the camera, but this is far less noticeable in movie footage.

  5. On the autofocus they say it is just as fast as the DSLRs for stationary subjects, but does not doquite as well, for subjects moving towards or away. Could be things moving fast like bicyclists...

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2/page9.asp

     

    What I can tell you from real world experience with mine is the dog running to chase something is fine but a fast object coming right at you is not always in focus. I have no DSLR experience so I can't compare.

     

    This is with the GH2 and I can do this all day so I don't think it will be an issue underwater for what I do.

     

    110226150321.jpg

  6. Hey Mark, and all.

     

    You can get a gh2 direct from panasonic, for $695, by becoming a fan on facebook..

     

    I was about to pull the trigger, and then started looking at lens reviews.

     

    Many people seem to think the macro lens is very slow to focus. Have you noticed that?

  7. Hey Mark, and all.

     

    You can get a gh2 direct from panasonic, for $695, by becoming a fan on facebook..

     

    I was about to pull the trigger, and then started looking at lens reviews.

     

    Many people seem to think the macro lens is very slow to focus. Have you noticed that?

     

    The macro lens is slower then the others and wouldn't be good for video but for macro work it is fine for me. I've been using it on my GF1 for about a year and a half now. Only had it out one time on the GH2 but it should be a hair faster on it. Most of my macro work is not that speed sensitive. The hardest things to focus on are fans and whips that have water behind them as it will hunt between the two but again these things aren't going anywhere.

     

    baby_s2-036.jpg

  8. There are some interesting photos for the GH2 nauticam housing in the wetpixel London dive show thread.

     

    Reef & photo have a listed price of $2000 for the housing (No photos available)

     

    I am seriously considering the GH2. Will wait for more details on the Nauticam housing(weight,size & ports)

     

    Regarding the 45mm macro lens, it has 2 minimum focus distances, 15cm & 50 cm. Will this produce 1:1 at 15cm & 50cm?

     

    Any recommendations on what topside kit lens, the 14-140 or 14-42 to buy with the camera?

  9. There are some interesting photos for the GH2 nauticam housing in the wetpixel London dive show thread.

     

    Reef & photo have a listed price of $2000 for the housing (No photos available)

     

    I am seriously considering the GH2. Will wait for more details on the Nauticam housing(weight,size & ports)

     

    Regarding the 45mm macro lens, it has 2 minimum focus distances, 15cm & 50 cm. Will this produce 1:1 at 15cm & 50cm?

     

    Any recommendations on what topside kit lens, the 14-140 or 14-42 to buy with the camera?

     

    The1 to 1 is at the 15cm because things only get smaller as you get further away. It has a switch to bypass the macro so it will focus faster when using it as a standard lens and the 50cm might be the minimum distance in that mode.

     

    I got the 14-42 but if I had the money would have gotten the 14-140. From all accounts it is a very nice lens and much more expensive if bought by itself. It is also the best for video so I do want one at some point. I have not even used the 14-42 as I already have the 7-14, 14-45, 20, 45 and 45-200.

  10. Hi guys

     

    Do you have some uw video to show taken with GF or GH camera?

     

    Thank you in advance

  11. Hi guys

     

    Do you have some uw video to show taken with GF or GH camera?

     

    Thank you in advance

     

    The two videos from the Philippines were shot with the GF1. The pool video was shot with the GH2. videos

  12. The two videos from the Philippines were shot with the GF1. The pool video was shot with the GH2. videos

     

    Thank you for sharing.

    Actually it's very difficult to have a idea of the camera/housing video quality from them :)

    I saw your beautiful photos but I wonder about DOF and minimum focus for video.

    I saw that at the beginning the shark video it's out of focus. Are you using auto-focus? Also the cuttlefish? They seems very dark.

    Which lens were you using?

     

    PS

    Sorry for my thousand questions but Panny G camera are somewhat considered the best DSRL for video but it seems impossible to see a nice sample while it's full of 7D uw videos ;)

  13. Thank you for sharing.

    Actually it's very difficult to have a idea of the camera/housing video quality from them :)

    I saw your beautiful photos but I wonder about DOF and minimum focus for video.

    I saw that at the beginning the shark video it's out of focus. Are you using auto-focus? Also the cuttlefish? They seems very dark.

    Which lens were you using?

     

    PS

    Sorry for my thousand questions but Panny G camera are somewhat considered the best DSRL for video but it seems impossible to see a nice sample while it's full of 7D uw videos ;)

     

    I have shot very little video and have no video lights so those are all I have attempted. The shark video did have some hunting as the sardines moved in and out and I'm not sure how you prevent that. I think they were both shot with the 7-14 at 14 so leaning towards the wide end of things. I'm sure someone has much better samples but I'm not sure where.

     

    As far as distance and DOF I would think that it will have the same limitations as the lens does in still mode. I'm not real fond of the settings the cameras pick when in auto and the same might apply to video but I do know that full manual is a lot to handle in video mode on the surface so it must be tough underwater. Maybe "A" would be the best setting.

     

    I have not attempted video with the 45macro and will need to play with it.

     

    Now you have me wanting to play with it some more. I guess I'll need to stick the 14-45 or 45macro on the GH2 and see what i can come up with. I will try to borrow some lights and shoot some video this weekend.

  14. I have shot very little video and have no video lights so those are all I have attempted. The shark video did have some hunting as the sardines moved in and out and I'm not sure how you prevent that. I think they were both shot with the 7-14 at 14 so leaning towards the wide end of things. I'm sure someone has much better samples but I'm not sure where.

     

    According with the video guru's in the other subforum, I think that autofocus should be avoided and with VidDSRL we should stick with MF. All the 7D video I saw there is no hunting. Giving that the panny autofocus is one of the best, I guess no autofocus is used.

     

    As far as distance and DOF I would think that it will have the same limitations as the lens does in still mode. I'm not real fond of the settings the cameras pick when in auto and the same might apply to video but I do know that full manual is a lot to handle in video mode on the surface so it must be tough underwater. Maybe "A" would be the best setting.

     

    Seeing this table:

     

    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

     

    With a 7mm lens at f5.6 and focusing at 1 meter, eveything from 0,37m to infinity should be at focus

    Do you think that a fixed focus could be used for wide shots?

     

    If you use A, then you break the basic rule of video: shutter speed multiple of frame rate and you would get strange results. 24/25p -> 1/50 (PAL), 30p -> 1/60 (NTSC)

     

    Now you have me wanting to play with it some more. I guess I'll need to stick the 14-45 or 45macro on the GH2 and see what i can come up with. I will try to borrow some lights and shoot some video this weekend.

     

    I would really appreciate

    Thank you for your patience

    Edited by Long John Silver
  15. I have used my GH2 in nauticam housing for several dives. Mostly I used FSH in S Mode and fixed shutter to 1/100s (PAL), Auto ISO and Continuous AF.

    I have the following observations :

     

    1. MWB with a light grey glove tends to result in a WB shifted to the "Green" Side. Clips were quite noisy so I gave up the idea to use a red filter.

    2. FSH mode has unacceptable noise and the bit rate is not sufficient. I will try 24P cinema mode next time.

    3. ETC crop mode is good for macro, but it is noisier and need a lens with OIS.

    4. Focus hunting was quite severe as I think the aperture was wide opened which is not good for AF. I think it is better to turn off the continuous AF

  16. I have used my GH2 in nauticam housing for several dives. Mostly I used FSH in S Mode and fixed shutter to 1/100s (PAL), Auto ISO and Continuous AF.

     

    Hi Frankie,

     

    On video forum there are two nice post on basic VidSRL settings:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=265885

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=265862

     

     

    Actually they are the same suggestions as on land shots.

     

    I have a GF13 and a GH13, a 20 pankake, a 14-45 plus several vintage yashica/contax lens but for a basic uw setup I should invest in a 7-14 lens + housing + lights. Not less of 3K Euro with a cheap housing like 10Bar. Except for the beautiful photos I saw it's a mistery how they perform with video.

  17. Manual exposure is certainly better but I think in some diving conditions it is not very feasible. In my last trip the surge and current was so strong that I could hardly do just "point and shoot".

    7-14 should be good for photos with strobes but I doubt if it is fast enough for video especially when u are shooting below 25m.

  18. Manual exposure is certainly better but I think in some diving conditions it is not very feasible. In my last trip the surge and current was so strong that I could hardly do just "point and shoot".

    7-14 should be good for photos with strobes but I doubt if it is fast enough for video especially when u are shooting below 25m.

     

    Hi all, any chance to see some real video taken with this panny?

     

    Bye

  19. Soon... We have housings in Monterey and Dominica in the hands of accomplished videographers, and we'll push to get there short films on line as soon as we can!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.