Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Dream Holiday = Camera Upgrades

Started by jody2803 ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Dream Holiday = Camera Upgrades

23 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I'm a total newbie and only found the forum after reading Maria Munns UW Photography book. It only arrived yesterday but have read it pretty much cover to cover already and have already learnt so much.

     

    I learnt to dive in Egypt last year and bought a Fuji F100fd with Fuji housing for the occasion. The shots were very washed out and blue (obviously) and I was only using the UW mode as I, until this weekend, had no idea about ISO/Aperture/White Balance. This coming May I will be heading to South Ari Atoll in the Maldives for a two week holiday, it is my dream trip and I knew from early on that I wanted to get some amazing shots to remember it by. I started looking into getting a new camera or getting strobes etc which is why I bought the book, I figure a camera is only as good as the person using it so I needed to top up my own knowledge first.

     

    The upshot of all of this is that I think I have now decided not to go ahead and buy a strobe kit for a few reasons, the first being that I am still a novice diver and I don't want to be distracted by bulky kit and secondly, I don't have the sort of budget to buy a good and long lasting piece of kit. This has led me on to where I am now....lenses and filters. I was advised by an underwater camera specialist not to bother with filters as they were almost obselete, not sure if this was to get me to buy a strobe instead but having read otherwise and seen some amazing videos on youtube where the filter was added halfway through, I am undoubtedly sure that I could benefit from one. I also wondered if adding a macro lens would help me in my mission? From re-visiting my Egypt photos many of my shots are close-ish ones of fish more than wide angled reef scenes. I don't like getting massively close to my subjects in case I scare them so I thought the lens may be a good way of getting it that bit sharper and clearer?

     

    It seems that Fantasea make a push on red filter for my camera but if I want the macro lens I will probably have to get the adaptor to take a 67mm round lens, I am not yet sure if I could stack it with the red filter although for macro shots with the flash I assume I wouldn't want/need the red filter anyway. I am only planning on doing a few dives out there anyway as my partner is a non diver and I don't want him to spend the holiday alone (again). That said, I will undoubtedly spend hours snorkeling as well so I want to make sure I get something that I can use at the surface or in the shallows as well. I also have my heart set on picking up a Panasonic FT2 before we go, I've seen lots of sample videos and shots and it looks very good, it would also be nice to have something I can just grab and use in the water, rather than worry about housing. I also have this strange fear of leaking cameras so I wont go with any less than 3 cameras, my third cam is an old vivitar but it would do if all else failed.

     

    Reading all of that, if anyone has any further advise or suggestions about what lenses to get/avoid, where to get them from etc, I would be most grateful!

     

    Jody

  2. Not quite certain if you are getting a strobe or not.

    But a popular filter on this site is Magic Filters

    http://www.magic-filters.com/

    Study the info on that site to determine if its what you are looking for.

     

    You might do a search on this site using +magic +filter (you get threads with both words present).

     

    Another good read is Martin Edge's 4th ed of "The Underwater photographer".

     

    Closeup shots really benefit from using a strobe and a small aperture but using the flash on the camera often leads to a lot of backscatter. You are correct, if using a flash for macro you would not need to use a filter.

    Your snorkeling shots and shallow shots would benefit from the magic filter - their website will tell you more about it.

     

    Sounds like a lovely trip, and welcome to the addiction of underwater photography.

  3. Jody,

    welcome to the vortex of diminishing cash that is underwater photography !

    I also have a Fuji F100 which I have used on my trips to Mexico, Borneo, Egypt and Bali over the past couple of years, and to be honest i love the camera. The housing is well made and although it doesnt have full manual or raw controls it does take some excellent pics. www.flickr.com/mooseman1007 (the DSC pics are from the Fuji, the others are from a Pana TZ10 which I bought to go to Bali so I coudl do hi def video. I bought a Fantasea adapter for 67mm lenses and have added a red filter and Inon Macro lens, though to be honest I never did get the hang of the filter, just never found it as good as manual white balancing !

    Ive just gone down the route of buying a strobe (a Sea+Sea YS01 for the next trip) as there is really nothing like light ! Your pics will be sharper and more colourful and the shutter speed wont have to drop as low and give blur! In fairness the Macro lens is an excellent tool but really not one for beginners. The only reason as a beginner myself I got away with it was the type of diving in Bali allowed for plenty of trys, plus somewhere to lean on the sand !

    While you can stack the macro lens and filter, its probably best not to, if you get the macro lens then use the onboard flash (youll have to construct a different diffuser to fit on the macro lens or you get a shadow from the barrel of the lens, but its easy to do with the plastic from a milk carton !

    Get yourself the lens adapter and macro lens if you fancy, it is really quite tricky getting focus but the pics are well worth the effort (see my pygmy seahorse pic) The other thing which helped me was a focus light, even just a little fantasea nano, just helped to give the camera some extra light to focus by and switched off when the flash went off. I have been more than happy with the F100 and am dreading the day it packs in on me, but after 4 holidays, 30+ dives and hours of snorkelling its been excellent value. Just remember to check the firmware is up to date or some of your pics can have a pink band on the left side (google the issue !)

    Dont know about the FT2 personally but my experiences of the TZ10 have only been good, excellent video and while the lens isnt ideal for underwater, it did me just fine

    Either way...Have fun, we're not at all jealous of a trip to the Maldives....Honest !

    Moose

  4. Not quite certain if you are getting a strobe or not.

    But a popular filter on this site is Magic Filters

    http://www.magic-filters.com/

    Study the info on that site to determine if its what you are looking for.

     

    You might do a search on this site using +magic +filter (you get threads with both words present).

     

    Another good read is Martin Edge's 4th ed of "The Underwater photographer".

     

    Closeup shots really benefit from using a strobe and a small aperture but using the flash on the camera often leads to a lot of backscatter. You are correct, if using a flash for macro you would not need to use a filter.

    Your snorkeling shots and shallow shots would benefit from the magic filter - their website will tell you more about it.

     

    Sounds like a lovely trip, and welcome to the addiction of underwater photography.

     

    Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. Sorry if the strobe issue was confusing, I meant to put a line in about how I WAS going to get a strobe but then decided against it, that would have made it a little clearer! I have looked at the Magic Filters but I was worried that it might make shallower shots a little pink, I like the idea of being able to remove a filter halfway through a dive if needed but I will definately take another look as the cost is much lower than a threaded lens.

     

     

    Jody,

    welcome to the vortex of diminishing cash that is underwater photography !

    I also have a Fuji F100 which I have used on my trips to Mexico, Borneo, Egypt and Bali over the past couple of years, and to be honest i love the camera. The housing is well made and although it doesnt have full manual or raw controls it does take some excellent pics. www.flickr.com/mooseman1007 (the DSC pics are from the Fuji, the others are from a Pana TZ10 which I bought to go to Bali so I coudl do hi def video. I bought a Fantasea adapter for 67mm lenses and have added a red filter and Inon Macro lens, though to be honest I never did get the hang of the filter, just never found it as good as manual white balancing !

    Ive just gone down the route of buying a strobe (a Sea+Sea YS01 for the next trip) as there is really nothing like light ! Your pics will be sharper and more colourful and the shutter speed wont have to drop as low and give blur! In fairness the Macro lens is an excellent tool but really not one for beginners. The only reason as a beginner myself I got away with it was the type of diving in Bali allowed for plenty of trys, plus somewhere to lean on the sand !

    While you can stack the macro lens and filter, its probably best not to, if you get the macro lens then use the onboard flash (youll have to construct a different diffuser to fit on the macro lens or you get a shadow from the barrel of the lens, but its easy to do with the plastic from a milk carton !

    Get yourself the lens adapter and macro lens if you fancy, it is really quite tricky getting focus but the pics are well worth the effort (see my pygmy seahorse pic) The other thing which helped me was a focus light, even just a little fantasea nano, just helped to give the camera some extra light to focus by and switched off when the flash went off. I have been more than happy with the F100 and am dreading the day it packs in on me, but after 4 holidays, 30+ dives and hours of snorkelling its been excellent value. Just remember to check the firmware is up to date or some of your pics can have a pink band on the left side (google the issue !)

    Dont know about the FT2 personally but my experiences of the TZ10 have only been good, excellent video and while the lens isnt ideal for underwater, it did me just fine

    Either way...Have fun, we're not at all jealous of a trip to the Maldives....Honest !

    Moose

     

    Hi Moose, thanks for the detail in your reply and for the link, I am truly envious of your shots, top work!

     

    The fantasea adaptor is already on my shopping list, I decided I would be better off getting the 67mm thread rather than the fuji specific red filter as it would give me much more scope. I still think a strobe is something I will end up with, but it's not on the list at the moment although the focussing light may be a very good idea! I am trying to look at all the different options at the moment and work out what I think I will get the most use from. Do you use a white slate to adjust the white balance underwater?

     

    I keep trying to convince myself that whatever I end up getting is an investment and will undoubtedly get used again but watch the pennies at the same time. That said, I came across a 67mm wide angle Epoque lens on Ebay last night and before I know what happened I had clicked on bid.......*impulsive female alert*, well it was less than half the current retail price. I know a strobe would be beneficial for wide angle shots but I am hoping that in shallower water with some nice ambient light that I will still see an improvement.

  5. Unfortunately I can't post links yet but I have just found an entry level fantasea strobe rebadged as a Fuji underwater strobe (it's the fantasea nano flash), this could be good news as I know someone who works for Fuji and can normally get the products half price so it would cost me around £75.

     

    Even for an entry level strobe I guess this would be a good addition and I would be silly not to for that price?

  6. I've used Magic Filters in 2m of water and, as long as you shoot away from the sun (which is the best way with ambient light, anyway), they are fine.

     

    A macro lens will need strobe illumination, but a wide angle lens will be really useful if you want to shoot schools of fish, manta rays or are lucky enough to get close to sharks. I would think about the Inon S2000 strobe and/or an Inon wide-angle kit for your housing. I bought a wide-angle for a Fuji compact, although I don't use it much... it usually travels as a back-up to my Nikon.

     

    You just have to swap lots of money with Duxy and the team at Cameras Underwater for this sort of thing in the UK, unless you're unlucky enough to live near Basildon, where Maverick's might sort you out!

     

    Tim

     

    :P

    Edited by tdpriest
  7. Hi Jody,

    I know the strobe you mean, considered it myself but thought I could justify picking up a strobe that would stay with me for years to come, hence the YS-01. But at that price it would definately give a little more light to your macro pics just dont expect it to light a wide angle scene, unfortunately a YS-01 or S2000 with arm would come in ~£6-700. Another option may be the Epoque ES230 somewhere in between. I bought myself a Kood Underwater filter (67mm) as an alternative to the URPRO (didnt want to not be able to remove it during the dive like the Magic filters !) and at £30 is worth a pop to see if you like it (just remember to have somewhere to put the filter/macro lens if you take it off, Ive found a draw string mesh bag from laundry tablets worked a treat !. Just got a copy of the same book, and seem to remember the nano flash getting a good mention. Its also a lot more compact than the other "Fuji" strobe, the Remora which is a beast. Cant wait to try our my YS01...20 days and counting :-)

    Moose

  8. I've used Magic Filters in 2m of water and, as long as you shoot away from the sun (which is the best way with ambient light, anyway), they are fine.

     

    A macro lens will need strobe illumination, but a wide angle lens will be really useful if you want to shoot schools of fish, manta rays or are lucky enough to get close to sharks. I would think about the Inon S2000 strobe and/or an Inon wide-angle kit for your housing. I bought a wide-angle for a Fuji compact, although I don't use it much... it usually travels as a back-up to my Nikon.

     

    You just have to swap lots of money with Duxy and the team at Cameras Underwater for this sort of thing in the UK, unless you're unlucky enough to live near Basildon, where Maverick's might sort you out!

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    Thanks for your input Tim. I really hope we see some Manta, or even a whale shark :P

     

    The Inon strobes were the first thing I looked at but I have to admit that the price is considerably more than I want to pay. I don't want to sound tight at all, afterall good equipment is necessary but I am only ever going to be a holiday diver so it's not going to get a good ratio in my cost to use caluclations! I concur with the swapping money with Cameras Underwater, have already sent them an email!

     

     

    Hi Jody,

    I know the strobe you mean, considered it myself but thought I could justify picking up a strobe that would stay with me for years to come, hence the YS-01. But at that price it would definately give a little more light to your macro pics just dont expect it to light a wide angle scene, unfortunately a YS-01 or S2000 with arm would come in ~£6-700. Another option may be the Epoque ES230 somewhere in between. I bought myself a Kood Underwater filter (67mm) as an alternative to the URPRO (didnt want to not be able to remove it during the dive like the Magic filters !) and at £30 is worth a pop to see if you like it (just remember to have somewhere to put the filter/macro lens if you take it off, Ive found a draw string mesh bag from laundry tablets worked a treat !. Just got a copy of the same book, and seem to remember the nano flash getting a good mention. Its also a lot more compact than the other "Fuji" strobe, the Remora which is a beast. Cant wait to try our my YS01...20 days and counting :-)

    Moose

     

    Seems like the YS will be a good piece of kit and I look forward to seeing the pics with it. I've been scouring Ebay for a used strobe but they come up few and far between, obviously I still want a macro lens and need to get the eyedapter.....so I need to purchase wisely. Thanks for the info on the Kood too, I had seen them but didn't realise that they did U/W ones as well, for £30 it's def worth a trial I reckon. I am sure the nano flash was mentioned a bit in the book too, I have to remember that I am still a novice and a lot of this will be trial and error but whatever shots I end up with, I am sure they will be considerably better than my last set!

  9. hmmmmm, just had a long chat with Cameras Underwater, it would seem that the Epoque lens may not work with my housing, I'll probably get vigniette-ing?

     

    I can go for a 67mm macro lens though which is the good news! Their advice was to maybe consider selling the Fuji and purchasing an Ixus 105 instead. I would then be able to use the Epoque lens, I can't remember whether it was suitable for macro or not!

     

    Now I am in more of a quandry than when I started!

     

    Big part of me still things macro with a strobe is the way to go

     

    confused.com

  10. hmmmmm, just had a long chat with Cameras Underwater, it would seem that the Epoque lens may not work with my housing, I'll probably get vigniette-ing?

     

    I can go for a 67mm macro lens though which is the good news! Their advice was to maybe consider selling the Fuji and purchasing an Ixus 105 instead. I would then be able to use the Epoque lens, I can't remember whether it was suitable for macro or not!

     

    Now I am in more of a quandry than when I started!

     

    Big part of me still things macro with a strobe is the way to go

     

    confused.com

     

    Hi, i think it's a good advise from cameras underwater, if join a dive clubs who also doing uw photography it will help a lot, you'll understand uw photo equipment and technique quicker and they probably have cameras you can try before you decide buying them. good luck and look forward to see your Maldives photos

  11. I have often regretted spending less and having something less than I wanted/needed. I have rarely regretted spending more and having what I want/need. Long after the money is gone, the equipment is in hand and I am either happy I have it or regretting not getting what I wanted in the first place.

    Not trying to convince you to out-spend your budget. Rather encouraging you to buy what you are really going to be happy with for the longer haul. If it takes a while to get the kit setup for all you want, join the crowd...many of us are that way. Your budget says...you cannot get it all now. So stick with quality for the money you do have.

    If you buy a strobe, buy one that will fit you for years, not just this one vacation. Same with any camera or housing selection. Then you spend the money once for that part of the kit.

     

    So if you are leaning toward macro and strobe, go with it. A strobe and 67mm closeup lens will have far more impact than buying another camera at this point. If you later change camera's, you would then have a strobe good enough for the new camera. Mooseman seemed to make a 67mm closeup work with the same camera you have now.

     

    It can be confusing with so many choices and not being able to do everything you dream about.... at least not at once. Breaking the problem into steps might help. This year, I get to upgrade to this step. Next year, to another step, an so on. Just trying to simplify it for you rather than add to the complexity.

    Hope this is of some help.

  12. I have often regretted spending less and having something less than I wanted/needed. I have rarely regretted spending more and having what I want/need. Long after the money is gone, the equipment is in hand and I am either happy I have it or regretting not getting what I wanted in the first place.

    Not trying to convince you to out-spend your budget. Rather encouraging you to buy what you are really going to be happy with for the longer haul. If it takes a while to get the kit setup for all you want, join the crowd...many of us are that way. Your budget says...you cannot get it all now. So stick with quality for the money you do have.

    If you buy a strobe, buy one that will fit you for years, not just this one vacation. Same with any camera or housing selection. Then you spend the money once for that part of the kit.

     

    So if you are leaning toward macro and strobe, go with it. A strobe and 67mm closeup lens will have far more impact than buying another camera at this point. If you later change camera's, you would then have a strobe good enough for the new camera. Mooseman seemed to make a 67mm closeup work with the same camera you have now.

     

    It can be confusing with so many choices and not being able to do everything you dream about.... at least not at once. Breaking the problem into steps might help. This year, I get to upgrade to this step. Next year, to another step, an so on. Just trying to simplify it for you rather than add to the complexity.

    Hope this is of some help.

     

    That was really what I needed to hear so thank you. I think I have become so overwhelmed with choices/lenses/strobes etc that I can feel myself getting bewildered and to the point of saying bugger it, I'll just keep the camera as it is and save the money! The Ixus on the face of it seems fine, then I realised it's a 46mm thread so I would have to buy an adapter to use my Epoque lens and that's without stumping up the extra for the set up to start with. It's money that, as you say, could be put towards something more beneficial and long lasting, both for now and in the future. I am already certain, that with my new knowledge of features that my pictures will be a big improvement on my last set which is a really good start. It's my birthday in a few weeks so I am hoping that my (lovely) family will contribute towards my camera fund which will help, I'm more than happy to buy used equipment so I will frequent the forums and ebay to see what comes up in terms of strobes and lenses, I would much rather spend my whole budget on one item that will be good than buy lots of 'ok' items - does that make sense??

     

    I am also more than happy to pick up used goods so I'm going to keep my eyes open on Ebay etc for the time being, I have 11 weeks until I go so plenty of time to accumulate kit!

     

    I have decided that I am definately going to get an FT2 as well, purely for the video and it being my 'back up' camera, I am hoping that the release of the FT3 in 2 weeks time will drop the price a little.

  13. Stepping out to the big picture, I would caution against buying a new camera to bring on the dream trip unless you are going to have time to use it and be comfortable and effective with it beforehand.

     

    The issue is that you end up missing all the great shots you wanted because the new camera didn't capture what you wanted, or you spend the whole trip doinking with the camera instead of actually enjoying the view because you're only watching through a little tube. I do race photography but I am a race fan first so I have to remind myself to put the camera down for a few laps to enjoy the race and not just the awesome zoomed shot I wanted.

     

    Getting the beautiful shots is a lot more than point and shoot the awesome camera. If you have a competent rig now, consider whether you can either bring it too or just use it to get the good shots. Nothing sucks more than that long wait after getting back from the dream location to go again to fix the problems on the first trip. I know the new camera is going to win out but I had to tell you this. :-)

     

    However, it works out, remember to put the camera down and fill your memory banks directly.

     

    I know little about still underwater photo, but light is extremely important for colors when I am shooting video. Without light and effective WB, it's all blue...or green if it's Sony.

  14. I would much rather spend my whole budget on one item that will be good than buy lots of 'ok' items - does that make sense??

     

    That makes perfect sense and was exactly the concept I was attempting to convey. You have described it far better.

     

    You mentioned used equipment. I have an unused URPRO color correction filter in 67mm thread. I bought it to use with my G9 but upgraded before I ever used it. I might have used it in a pool but I have forgotten.

    I have not been answering your thread to try to sell you something. But I remembered I had this filter and thought maybe you were interested. I have no idea what they cost now but I would send it for half price whatever they trade for now. If interested, send me a PM. I am NOT saying you should buy a color correction filter and in fact, I sent to you towards Magic Filter.

    I am in central USA so there would be some shipping.

    I keep thinking I need to put some things on Ebay and I never seem to quite get to it. Anyone need a Nikon 8008s film camera? They do not make them anymore so I am sure it must be a collectors item

    :) :-)

     

    dave

  15. That makes perfect sense and was exactly the concept I was attempting to convey. You have described it far better.

     

    You mentioned used equipment. I have an unused URPRO color correction filter in 67mm thread. I bought it to use with my G9 but upgraded before I ever used it. I might have used it in a pool but I have forgotten.

    I have not been answering your thread to try to sell you something. But I remembered I had this filter and thought maybe you were interested. I have no idea what they cost now but I would send it for half price whatever they trade for now. If interested, send me a PM. I am NOT saying you should buy a color correction filter and in fact, I sent to you towards Magic Filter.

    I am in central USA so there would be some shipping.

    I keep thinking I need to put some things on Ebay and I never seem to quite get to it. Anyone need a Nikon 8008s film camera? They do not make them anymore so I am sure it must be a collectors item

    :) :-)

     

    dave

     

    I am glad my ramblings made some sense!

     

    Thanks for the offer of the filter, that's very kind of you, once I have worked out exactly where I am going with it all I might take you up on that ;) .

     

    I woke up with a MUCH clearer head today (sort of) and decided the following;

     

    1) I am sticking with my Fuji.......for now

    2) I am going to buy a Macro lens.......may have to be an Epoque as on checking out the Inon's, it would mean getting a further adaptor as they are bayonet mount, not threaded, ergo I would have to get the adapter for the Fuji to take 67mm threads and then get a further adapter, makes it kinda expensive.

    3) I am >50% likely to get some sort of strobe kit. It may only be a little compact one for macro shots but if I can get the half price Fuji one then it's quite possible I can sell it after my trip and not lose any money.

    4) I am going to practice, practice and practice some more.

     

    I am currently PADI Scuba Diver and am doing the remaining confined water training to upgrade to open water this weekend (I am doing my 2 further qualifying dives in the Maldives), I might see if the club has a pool sesson late April/early May so I can practice using the set up underwater while I am all kitted up, would give me a chance to practice with my buoyancy :)

     

    Shasta Man, thanks for your input, I certainly wont be spending my underwater time stressing about the perfect shot, if it doesn't happen then so be it, at least I will get to see it first hand!

  16. My Inon macro has 67mm threads. You could get it either with threads or the bayonet mount.

    Reef photo still shows the 67mm thread available. Here is a link to it. I suspect you can buy the same closer to home.

     

    Reef photo 67m thread inon UCL-165

     

    Glad you are sorting out what you want to do. Congratulations.

  17. The Inon 165 macro lens will have a little vignetting on the fuji, but just zoom in a little past it or crop the photo as required. I imagine the same would be true with any of the alternative macro lenses. For what its worth I much prefer the fantasea lens adapter for the Fuji than the inon one I have for my Panasonic, cheaper and easier to fit. The only downside for the Inon lens is the lack of lanyard, though i imagine thats so they can sell the lens holder :-) And remember youll need another diffuser if you use the flash !

    Im holding off buying a wide angle myself until I upgrade to an EVIL system, so the macro is getting all the practice at the minute !

    Definately agree with Shasta tho, keep to a camera you are comfortable with and be prepared to switch it off and clip it on to your BCD so you can concentrate on the important things, even something as simple as putting on your fins from a shore entry can be tricky whilst holding a camera/mask etc

    Moose

  18. You were right, I was looking at completely the wrong section on the UK site!

     

    Thanks very much for your help Dave, I don't think I have got to this decision without your input and I really appreciate it :)

     

    My Epoque Wide Angle has just arrived in the post, very good condition and I am really pleased given the price I paid. I am going to order the adapter for my housing today as well and take some test pictures to see how bad the vignette is, if it's not too savage then I don't mind doing a little picture crop. If it is horrific then I will have to sell up and put the money towards the macro lens but we will see. I might even post some pictures :) .

     

    I have my eye on a strobe kit, it's the Fuji Remora strobe set up and comes with the fibre optic cable. It would (only) work out about £80 dearer than the basic fuji/fantasea set up once I factor in buying the cable but it has adjustable power output, not the greatest of beam angles but maybe the best 'budget' option for my needs?

     

    Fuji Remora Strobe

  19. Thank you for the kind words. They are of great use today as I cope with the frustrations of work and the later visit to the dentist.

    I think you will be delighted by the improvement the strobe makes. The 60 degree angle will be enough for single fish photo's and macro work. Its a great place to start.

    I see no reference to TTL so you will need to manually adjust the power based on your results.

     

    I see you are really just starting out diving. When I started out using a single YS-25 (not as powerful as your planned purchase), I found it worked well to select a target zone for the setup. So for example, I would try photo's of fish about 0.5m from the lens. So I set the strobe angle to illuminate that location. Then I test fired shots on coral that was mid-brightness to adjust the strobe. Once completed, you have everything set for those fleeting moments when a lovely fish dances into range.

    When you find something really slow moving or sitting stationary, you can re-adjust a bit away from it, test some shots on similar objects, then move in for your shots. This tends to give better results and limits the disturbance of the subject. This is really necessary with rays in the sand, for example. They will rarely tolerate us fiddling with settings/gear before they move on but you can have it all set in advance by testing on the sand ~5m away before moving closer.

    You can test all this in a pool at home so you are comfortable with how it works. For example, you can alternate test photo's of a buddy's gloved hand at 0.5m then change to photo his watch at a few cm, then switch back to the gloved hand. This type of practice will make it easier when you are in the ocean with currents, excitement, etc.

     

    Its good to limit how many things are 'new' to each dive, thus lowering your stress level and increasing your safety and enjoyment. Your pool work not only improves your results, it increases your safety.

  20. The Inon 165 macro lens will have a little vignetting on the fuji, but just zoom in a little past it or crop the photo as required. I imagine the same would be true with any of the alternative macro lenses. For what its worth I much prefer the fantasea lens adapter for the Fuji than the inon one I have for my Panasonic, cheaper and easier to fit. The only downside for the Inon lens is the lack of lanyard, though i imagine thats so they can sell the lens holder :-) And remember youll need another diffuser if you use the flash !

    Im holding off buying a wide angle myself until I upgrade to an EVIL system, so the macro is getting all the practice at the minute !

    Definately agree with Shasta tho, keep to a camera you are comfortable with and be prepared to switch it off and clip it on to your BCD so you can concentrate on the important things, even something as simple as putting on your fins from a shore entry can be tricky whilst holding a camera/mask etc

    Moose

     

    Hi Moose, only just seen your reply - I must have been replying at the same time and missed it! I am pleased you consider the fantasea adapter to be pretty decent, I don't mind using a little zoom or crop to get past the vignette if it's not too bad, after all, I expect my first few shots will be blinking awful anyway :)

     

    I'm really trying to keep the equipment to a minimum for weight and bulk purposes, will see how I get on this coming Sunday in the pool again. Had no probs using the camera in Egypt last year and I kept being told I was TOO careful in regards to the reef, I was always way above it. I keep reef fish at home so protection of the marine environment is paramount for me. I am hoping that even in the shallower water there will be some nice outcrops where I can rest on the sand to get a nice shot!

     

    Do I need a diffuser if using a strobe or is it just the internal flash? Me thinks some home bath tub testing is in order!

     

     

     

    Thank you for the kind words. They are of great use today as I cope with the frustrations of work and the later visit to the dentist.

    I think you will be delighted by the improvement the strobe makes. The 60 degree angle will be enough for single fish photo's and macro work. Its a great place to start.

    I see no reference to TTL so you will need to manually adjust the power based on your results.

     

    I see you are really just starting out diving. When I started out using a single YS-25 (not as powerful as your planned purchase), I found it worked well to select a target zone for the setup. So for example, I would try photo's of fish about 0.5m from the lens. So I set the strobe angle to illuminate that location. Then I test fired shots on coral that was mid-brightness to adjust the strobe. Once completed, you have everything set for those fleeting moments when a lovely fish dances into range.

    When you find something really slow moving or sitting stationary, you can re-adjust a bit away from it, test some shots on similar objects, then move in for your shots. This tends to give better results and limits the disturbance of the subject. This is really necessary with rays in the sand, for example. They will rarely tolerate us fiddling with settings/gear before they move on but you can have it all set in advance by testing on the sand ~5m away before moving closer.

    You can test all this in a pool at home so you are comfortable with how it works. For example, you can alternate test photo's of a buddy's gloved hand at 0.5m then change to photo his watch at a few cm, then switch back to the gloved hand. This type of practice will make it easier when you are in the ocean with currents, excitement, etc.

     

    Its good to limit how many things are 'new' to each dive, thus lowering your stress level and increasing your safety and enjoyment. Your pool work not only improves your results, it increases your safety.

     

    Sounds like a really good way to get it set up, I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to always run the camera at -.05/-1 EV if using a strobe, I'm half guessing that it would be easier to lighten a picture in post editing rather than trying to darken one but I could be wrong?

     

    I don't have any set days of diving planned out there yet, I've agreed to do my 2 OW qualifiers and at least another five, I will make sure I take the rig out snorkeling as well so I get used to the feel of it in the water as I am anticipating more bouyancy in the sea over a pool. Safety will always be my ultimate prority, if at any point I feel unhappy trying to dive and shoot then I will just clip the camera somewhere with something (that part needs more thought) and forget about it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.