Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Dream Holiday = Camera Upgrades

Started by jody2803 ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Dream Holiday = Camera Upgrades

23 posts
  1. Funnily enough I did the same in Egypt last year, after completing my Scuba Diver in Mexico 2 yrs ago, decided to take a quick holiday to finish my Open water, then do 5-6 more dives. As it happened the Divemaster suggested i do the Advanced open instead of just normal dives, worked out a similar price to be honest and gave me an insight into some of the specialties available, including a night dive, which is a great laugh, anyways something to think about !

    One thing I do notice is that the shallower water pics are nicer coloured (without flash of course) as to be expected, but often a real pain due to the swell rocking you back and forward. A muck stick, or 2 fingers down on a rock is often necessary at the best of times, but in the shallows....well put it this way, on several occasions in Bali I was face to face with a mantis shrimp that didnt really like me that close, only for me to get pushed closer by the swell...fun!

    The diffuser is only needed for the macro lens when you dont have the strobe on, as when you do, the velcro mask covers the cameras flash, but for some pictures the onboard was fine, just get yourself some Polymorph (mouldable thermo plastic), a milk carton and some elastic, and bobs your uncle, a diffuser which fits around the Inon Macro lens.

    Weight wise it shouldnt be too bad, especially the little nano strobe, just remember some spare batteries and charger too !.

    Either way.....ENJOY !

    Moose

    Edited by Mooseman1007
  2. Well I thought I would come in and update!

     

    On Sunday I passed my PADI exam with 98% and managed to pass confined water 4 & 5 in about 20 minutes, I did all skills first time round so I was very pleased :D . They also let me have a tank and just swim around on my own (I hasten to add it was in a pool with plenty of other staff around) and it was really nice to have that time to myself just to relax and practice with my buoyancy etc.

     

    I am going back to the pool next month to do some basic navigation work and re-do some skills to make sure I am happy before my holiday.

     

    I've had an otherwise expensive month, car needing work etc so 'tog equipment has taken a back burner. I have put the Epoque lens up for sale because I wont get the best out of it with my camera and I would like to use the money towards buying my Panasonic FT2 as I will get more use from that while snorkeling than I will a proper rig whilst diving. I still want to get into the macro side of photography but I have to be realistic - it may not be in time for this trip, that's ok though as it's just a very good reason to go back :lol: .

     

    Thanks to everyone for their input, it certainly wasn't a waste and I will still be sticking around. Hopefully I'll be able to share some pictures with you when I get back!

     

    Jody

  3. I'll just keep the camera as it is and save the money!

     

     

    Just to note, if you don't plan on doing much diving / dive photography then you may want to inquire if there is a place that will rent you their camera gear (and ask what gear). Also, ask if you can hire a pro dive photographer. Instead of spending thousands on something you will use rarely, if ever, you could spend less then $100 for a rental, or maybe pay a dive photographer a $200-$300 to and have that person give you all of the RAW photos (or pay them more to process it for you - whatever you can agree on). You can then instruct the photographer to split their time by taking pics of you and your family and taking pics of critters.

     

    Anyhow, just a though.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.