Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which name brand housing ... or wait?

Started by Bombsight ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Which name brand housing ... or wait?

27 posts
  1. Hello everyone.

     

    I'm in a double dilemna.

     

    I have a 5DMKII & a 7D. Soon, I will be buying a dslr housing for either the 7D, 5DMKII or maybe even the new "5DMK III".

     

    I have been looking at the Subals and Aquaticas.

     

    I plan on shooting both wide angle (15mm) & macro (100mm). Also, I have a 16-35mm f/2.8.

     

    Anyone have any input as to the route I should go?

     

    I plan on shooting both stills & video.

     

    Thanks for any and all input.

     

    Mark @ Bombsight Photography

  2. Hello everyone.

     

    I'm in a double dilemna.

     

    I have a 5DMKII & a 7D. Soon, I will be buying a dslr housing for either the 7D, 5DMKII or maybe even the new "5DMK III".

     

    I have been looking at the Subals and Aquaticas.

     

    I plan on shooting both wide angle (15mm) & macro (100mm). Also, I have a 16-35mm f/2.8.

     

    Anyone have any input as to the route I should go?

     

    I plan on shooting both stills & video.

     

    Thanks for any and all input.

     

    Mark @ Bombsight Photography

    Only you can say how quickly you need some pics. I would add Nauticam to the mix of housings. My vote was for the 7D/Nauticam because I had the Tokina 10-17 which on the 5D needs a 1.4 tele and I wanted to shoot the Inon insect eye that needed the 60 macro which is a no-go on the 5D. If you can afford to wait a year for the 5DIII and associated housings we all expect it will be killer but you never know.

    Bill

  3. I agree with Bill...Nauticam 7D. I checked out your photo site and didn't notice any UW pics, so assume this is a new venture? Save your 5D2 for topside (really dig your pics, especially your landscape) and get your feet wet with the 7D so your not risking your high dollar camera on a possible flood.

  4. I agree with Bill...Nauticam 7D. I checked out your photo site and didn't notice any UW pics, so assume this is a new venture? Save your 5D2 for topside (really dig your pics, especially your landscape) and get your feet wet with the 7D so your not risking your high dollar camera on a possible flood.

     

     

    Thanks for the replies, men.

    Isnt the jury still out on the new Nautica? I didnt see where the Canon 15mm f/2.8 could be used also.

     

    Is the Tokina 10-17 really all that good? .... seems like it would be slow at some deeper depths. :lol:

    Edited by Bombsight
  5. Hello everyone.

     

    I'm in a double dilemna.

     

    I have a 5DMKII & a 7D. Soon, I will be buying a dslr housing for either the 7D, 5DMKII or maybe even the new "5DMK III".

     

    I have been looking at the Subals and Aquaticas.

     

    I plan on shooting both wide angle (15mm) & macro (100mm). Also, I have a 16-35mm f/2.8.

     

    Anyone have any input as to the route I should go?

     

    I plan on shooting both stills & video.

     

    Thanks for any and all input.

     

    Mark @ Bombsight Photography

     

    The 5D Mk II still seem to be the top dog of the pros, but the 7D has got a few feather on its cap that do make it interesting, it has optical sync capability, will take the Tokina 10-17mm (even if you don't mention it), the insect eye is somewhat of a novelty lens, but yes it will take it as well (we do not make a port for it, but there are third party ports for it out there, I am not sure if Nexus does have a port for it).

     

    You can shoot the 15mm Fisheye behind a 6" dome, but if you want to use the 16-35mm, then I recommend getting the 8" dome (better corner performance), there is also a dedicated extension with a focus knob that was especially designed for this lens when shooting video,

     

    I still find the 5D Mk II jaw dropping for video, there is a bunch of underwater TV shows and videos being done with this camera. So if video is high on the agenda and optical sync is not a priority, take a close look at this baby, it is still one of the best seller for underwater imaging by pros.

     

    Other wise the 7D is a sweet camera and both the Nexus and Aquatica (the two manufacturers you seem interested in) will offer optical sync and a good choice of ports for these lenses.

  6. Not doing any serious video, I changed from the 5DM2 to 7D recently. I have only been on one trip with the 7D, doing approximately 60 dives with it, and I am very happy with it. The three big deals for me in changing was the AF, the 10-17 and the optical wiring. AF is, at least the way I shoot, just so much better than on the 5DM2. The 10-17 I haven´t used a lot, but I do like the close focussing and look forward to try it out in better viz than on my last trip. And optical firing is just so sweet. Wireless would be even better, but untill that is realized, I will probably never use electrical again. I have kept the 5DM2 housing, and might use it some time doing natural low light stills or video, but that will most liekly happen rarely.

     

    regards Bent

  7. hmmm ...

     

    This post along with Bill & Mikes suggestion has me thinking twice .... http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...=35507&st=0

     

    Can I use both of my lens (Canon 16-35 II & 15mm fisheye) along with the 60 macro & Tokina 10-17mm on the Nauticam NA-7D?

     

    Any suggestions as to which port to get in order to cover all 4 above mentioned lens applications .... as well as sync cords, would be most helpfull. I dont know a lot about the linkage of the 7D to twin YS-250's.

    Edited by Bombsight
  8. The Ys-250 will trigger optically, but will not give S-TTL, the standard optical cord for them is # 50107

  9. Can I use both of my lens (Canon 16-35 II & 15mm fisheye) along with the 60 macro & Tokina 10-17mm on the Nauticam NA-7D?

     

    If you're going to use the Tokina 10-17, then don't bother with the 16-35 or the 15mm, they're just being redundant.

     

    Any suggestions as to which port to get in order to cover all 4 above mentioned lens applications .... as well as sync cords, would be most helpfull. I dont know a lot about the linkage of the 7D to twin YS-250's.

     

    No 1 port can work well with the 4 lenses. I've used the 16-35L with the Aquatica 8" Dome port, and 15mmFE on a 6" Dome with the 5dmk2. I've used the Tokina 10-17 with a 6" Dome with the Aquatica 7D. I don't own the 60macro but for best results with it or any macro lens, you'll need to use a flat port.

     

    I do have a demo 5dmk2 housing for sale at a great price in the Classifieds btw (I'm hoping this isn't against forum rules?). For images taken with the 16-35, 15mmFE, 10-17 and 100mm Macro (my favorite Macro) I have them on my website. Aquatica Image Gallery

     

    As Jean mentioned, you can't have TTL with the YS250, if you want S-TTL, then you'll need to get the YS110a.

     

     

     

    Stu

    Edited by Stewart L. Sy
  10. hmmm ...

     

    This post along with Bill & Mikes suggestion has me thinking twice .... http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...=35507&st=0

     

    Can I use both of my lens (Canon 16-35 II & 15mm fisheye) along with the 60 macro & Tokina 10-17mm on the Nauticam NA-7D?

     

    Any suggestions as to which port to get in order to cover all 4 above mentioned lens applications .... as well as sync cords, would be most helpfull. I dont know a lot about the linkage of the 7D to twin YS-250's.

     

    Hello Bombsight,

     

    You can use all of the lenses you mention with the NA-7D. You'll want one dome, maybe two, and one flat port (for the 60mm macro). For the flat port, I'd recommend the Macro Port 41. If you do ever think you'll use the Inon bugeye lens at some point as was mentioned, get the Macro C60 port.

     

    For domes, the 8.5" acrylic dome along with a couple extensions will handle the 16-35, 10-17, and 15mm. We also offer some glass domes from Zen Underwater that would work very well too. I just did a little blog post on our website about glass domes and smacking them on aluminum dive ladders. :-)

     

    To shoot your twin YS-250's, you'd need the optional bulkhead and a dual sync cable. As the others mentioned, you won't get TTL by default with this setup. While TTL is nice in some situations, my personal preference is to shoot manual flash exposure anyway, so TTL is not important to me.

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

  11. Since we've spoken previously, I may as well chime in...

     

    I tried (with some frustration) the Subal 8" dome with the 16-35 II and abandoned

    that lens for the 15mm FE due to sharpness/focus issues with the recommended

    dome/extension/diopter for the 16-35.

    When Zen released the 9" dome for Subal it became possible to use both lenses

    with great results.

     

    The Subal 5D housings have dual bulkheads so you you're hardwired to the YS-250's

    (which are heavy but provide great recycle times and a lot of power)

     

    I've got a buddy that has the Subal for his 7D (his 1st Canon after switching from Nikon)

    and he seems to be very happy with that system and the 10-17mm for his WA work.

     

    I'm sure you'll be stoked no matter what you get. There's boat loads of good people here

    that'll help you suss things out rather quickly.

  12. Don't neglect ikelite.

     

    Half the price, or less, after ports are added in.

     

    Full functionality. Lighter underwater.

     

    You can see the o-rings after closing everything up! This is the way to true peace of mind, and avoiding floods.

  13. The downside (speaking as someone who has a 7d and ikelite housing) is that if you want TTL you're more or less

    limited to only the ikelite strobes (which I have). There's not enough room in the housing to open the built in strobe

    for optical TTL.

     

    Eric

     

    Don't neglect ikelite.

     

    Half the price, or less, after ports are added in.

     

    Full functionality. Lighter underwater.

     

    You can see the o-rings after closing everything up! This is the way to true peace of mind, and avoiding floods.

  14. So confused as to which housing to buy! :D

     

    I do know I want to go the 7D route instead of the 5DMKII .... because of the better AF.

     

    Its either the Nauticam or Subal.

     

    Steer me in the right direction here, people! I dont know much about lights, ports or arms.

     

    I guess the Tokina 10-17 is a "must" for wide angle on the 7D? .... Could I use the Canon 15mm fisheye instead? Does fast glass not matter down there like on land? Seems like one would want it wide open as opposed to the Tokina being "slow". :D

     

    If I were to buy a housing right now, it would be the Nauticam with at least an 8" port. Seems as though the ergonomics would be best on it with the "piano keys".

     

    Somebody make it easy for me and put the ultimate pkg. together for me! :lol:

     

    Thanks if you can.

     

    Mark

     

    ps .... whats up with the port which has the built in WB? Seems pretty cool.

    Edited by Bombsight
  15. Eight years ago, after some looking at a few different housings, I went with Subal. I preferred the controls and also how well everything works...every time.

     

    And then six years ago, when I updated to a 5D, I looked around a bit again and again went with the Subal. I've been very happy with it. My only gripe with it, like many people, is that you have to very careful with the port accidentally turning. That takes constant vigilance, especially when the dome port. Beyond that, it's been a solid system that has worked on every single dive. The main housing that I've seen people have problems with are Ikelites; a lot of people that I see with Ikelites seem to have some little trouble here and there, but then I am not sure what their care and maintenance is like either.

     

    If I were to update at this point, I'd look around again at all the housings, but that would mainly be for pricing, rather than performance. And I would be influenced both by my experiences and also by the fact that I already have all the Subal ports.

     

    I will add that I have seen the Nauticam in person, but not had it in my hands and played with it.

     

    Overall, I think there are so many great housings out there and, between the higher end housings, I think some of the decision is comfort and ergonomics.

     

    Best of luck to you.

  16. Best of luck to you.

     

    Thanks gregarius .... I think I've made up my mind and am now going with the Subal & 5DMKII .... with twin Inon z 240s (unless someone could tell me why the YS-250s would be better) and the 16-35/15mm lens.

    It was recommended that I get the Zen 230 port.

     

    Still would like a link to the best light supports.

  17. Thanks gregarius .... I think I've made up my mind and am now going with the Subal & 5DMKII .... with twin Inon z 240s (unless someone could tell me why the YS-250s would be better) and the 16-35/15mm lens.

    It was recommended that I get the Zen 230 port.

     

    Still would like a link to the best light supports.

     

    http://www.ulcs.com/

     

    Inons are smaller, lighter and have a confusing UI until you learn it.

    You'll also face lower guide number, slower recycle times and the

    need to change/charge batteries more often but great flashes.

     

    250's are faster, more powerful, physically larger and way heavier.

    They may also be more difficult to position for macro shots

    (my experience at times) but great flashes.

     

    You just have to decide what fits your needs better. Both will do

    the job.

  18.  

     

    Thanks for the link, Cary .... this DSLR stuff is all new & exciting to me. I'm spending more than what my skill level needs but I hope to grow into it rather than out of it. Working a lot of overtime to get what I want.

  19. Thanks for the link, Cary .... this DSLR stuff is all new & exciting to me. I'm spending more than what my skill level needs but I hope to grow into it rather than out of it. Working a lot of overtime to get what I want.

     

    I think many of us feel the same way :) I hope (after the learning curve)

    it exceeds your expectations. It's pretty fun!

  20. Hi I have a canon 5d mkii which I use underwater with a 16-35mm l zoom lens in a hugyfot housing with dome port, have a look at their housings - well engineered and easy to use underwater.

    Malc

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.