Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which name brand housing ... or wait?

Started by Bombsight ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Which name brand housing ... or wait?

27 posts
  1. I guess the Tokina 10-17 is a "must" for wide angle on the 7D? .... Could I use the Canon 15mm fisheye instead? Does fast glass not matter down there like on land? Seems like one would want it wide open as opposed to the Tokina being "slow". :(

     

    The Tokina is a fabulous WA/Fisheye lens. Take a look at some of the posts about this lens before you take this off of your wish list. It is only available for cropped sensor cameras and you will find full frame folks talking about this lens. I use it behind a 6" dome in an Aquatica housing. I have also seen it used with the zen mini dome with great results. It is a great lens to have for CFWA work.

     

    There is so much information to sort through. And decisions, decisions, decisions. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing pics from your new rig - DiverPam

  2. In the debate between the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom vs a full frame fisheye I wonder if anyone has done a test comparing the results of the zoom vs a cropped section of the fixed focal length fisheye? In theory a fixed focal length should be sharper and might equal the results with the zoom. Particularly when shooting the full frame fisheye on the full frame 5DII vs the zoom lens on the cropped 7D which would require blowing the image up 1.6x more to give the same print or image size. Is the Tokina zoom capable of delivering 1.6x the resolution of the fixed focal length lens? I have my doubts. I think this kind of comparison is especially worth testing for those who consider using the Tokina zoom with a 1.4x converter which would lower the resolution of the image even further.

     

    Fred

  3. While not quite the same image on both, here's my test samples as per Fred's requirements, sorry for the crops not quite matching up, just did a quick cut at actual pixels.

     

    Here are the images:

     

    Taken with the 5dmk2, Sigma 15mm FE, Aquatica Pro Housing, 6" Dome. F22, ISO 100:

     

    5d_full.jpg

     

    Taken with the 7D, Tokina 10-17 @ 10mm, Aquatica 7D Housing, 6" Dome, F16, ISO 200:

     

    7D_full.jpg

     

    Center crop of 5Dmk2

    5d_Cen.jpg

     

    Center Crop of 7D

    7d_cen.jpg

     

    Corners, 5Dmk2

    5d_LL.jpg

     

    Corners, 7D

    7D_cor.jpg

     

    5dmk2 has the better IQ, but...BUT that's at 100% on screen. Printed to 16x24, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. On web sized images, you wouldn't be able to tell. The ergonomics of the 7D housing and the flexibility of the 10-17 led me to decide that I preferred the housed 7D as my underwater tool of choice.

     

    cheers

     

    Stu

  4. Awesome images, Stewart .... thanks for sharing!

    I'm currently leaning toward the 7D now because I already have a "Surf" housing made by Essex ... & plan on keeping the 7D for a long while yet for that reason.

    If I were to get the kit for my 5DMKII, I would be committing myself to keep both the 7D & the 5DMKII for YEARS!!!!!!

    By getting a kit for the 7D, I open up the window to sell the 5DMKII when the new "5DMK3" hits the market .... without trying to sell a housing also.

     

    Now, .... the only question is WHICH housing brand.

    I like the way the Subal looks and their reputation supercedes them.

    ... on the other hand, I've talked to many who said the Nauticam has much better "Button" ergonomics for switching from stills/video/stills..

     

    The issue as to which housing is best, is subjective, I know. I just wish there was more imput on this thread on that issue. :(

  5. I just wish there was more imput on this thread on that issue. :(

     

    Hi partner,

    Be sure to do a good search on past threads, lots of info and multiple discussions. Here is one to get you started http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...;hl=7d+Nauticam

     

    One must be a little careful reading older threads on any new housing as they may have been updated. The best solution is to get to one of the great shops and get your hands on the real thing.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  6. The best solution is to get to one of the great shops and get your hands on the real thing.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

     

    Thank you, Steve.

    I would do exactly that but I'd spend a fortune just traveling to the nearest dealer. I live in S.E. Texas and none are near. :(

     

    Pretty much made up my mind though. Looks like its going to be the Subal 7D & Tokina 10-17mm kit. Reef put together a pkg which looks pretty good compared with others.

     

    Thanks for everyones help.

  7. Pretty much made up my mind though. Looks like its going to be the Subal 7D & Tokina 10-17mm kit. Reef put together a pkg which looks pretty good compared with others.

     

    Congrats on the new system! If you can't visit, talking to Ryan and the guys is the next best thing. The Subal for the 7D is a beautiful rig. Have fun with it.

     

    Waiting to see the images,

    Steve

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.