Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

EPL-2 as alternative to high end compact

Started by Tim_E ·

  • 45Posts
  • 45Replies

Read-only discussion

EPL-2 as alternative to high end compact

45 posts
  1. I am looking at the Olympus EPL-2 and Olympus housing as an alternative to a high end compact set up like the Canon S95, rather than as an lighter/smaller alternative to a DSLR set up which most people seem to consider it for. As such I am only interested in the Olympus with its kit lens, and possibly the 9-18mm, with the Zen dome port, and won't be looking at buying other lenses for the forseeable future (especially given the prices of micro 4/3 lenses) - the Olympus will only just fit into my budget as it is. I am wondering whether this is a valid approach and if anyone else has already thought along the same lines - and if so their logic for choosing the Olympus (or not)? The main benefit would seem to be the higher quality images from the larger sensor versus a compact, against which I would lose the ability to switch wet lenses and the benefits of greater DOF and higher flash sync speeds with something like the S95.

     

    There are also two questions I can't find any answer to - the first is whether the Olympus fisheye or wide angle adapters that fit onto the Mark 2 kit lens can fit into the Zen dome, and the second is whether there is any benefit to using Olympus own brand UFL strobes (eg. is the flash sync any higher than using a Sea & Sea or Inon strobe)? Can anyone help with these questions?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Tim

  2. I am looking at the same thing. EPL2 with the latest 14-42. Plus for sure a dome and the Pana 7-14. 14 (28 equiv) is not wide enough. The EPL2 (or EPL1 with the 2G 14-42) is just an excellent package. Did you notice the live autofocus tracking in video mode! That would be great underwater.

     

    I am moving up from an Oly 5060 after many successful years. With the m43, I relish the idea of a big sensor, all the Oly controls, interchangeable high end glass....yum. BUT I on the other hand already have 2 ikelite strobes, arms, tray, etc and would buy an ikelite housing TODAY if it existed. In fact I am holding off buying the camera just for this reason.

     

    Ike, where are you! Don't make me switch housings and strobes! Place my order today and PLEASE update the web site with a date!

     

    :)

  3. Ike, where are you! Don't make me switch housings and strobes! Place my order today and PLEASE update the web site with a date!

     

    :)

     

     

    OK I have jumped and bought the EPL2. It has many advantages over the EPL1, not the least is the MYSET1-4 like the old My Mode, that was not in the EPL1. This is perfect for UW quick access settings. With a big sensor and world class lenses this is a great camera. Also I just discovered I can use many other lenses such as all my old manual Canon SLR lenses (with an adapter). Great stuff.

     

    Now I am sitting on the sidelines for a couple of months with respect to the housing. PLEASE ike! If there is no ike housing soon I will go get the Oly housing, Zen dome and a pair of Z240s.

  4. FYI - A Nauticam housing is in the pipeline.

  5. FYI - A Nauticam housing is in the pipeline.

     

     

    Ah! Very interesting. Many thanks!

     

    I believe the m43 cameras are going to blaze a path underwater and we are just seeing the start.

  6. I currently own an S95 and I'm going through the same delimma.

    Debating whether to house the S95 in a recsea housing ($800) or go to an EPL-2 in Oly housing about $1100.

    The other factor is that my wife loves the S95 and has kind of taken it over, so if I invest in a recsea housing, I'd probably get a second S95 as a backup. She has a tendancy to lose things and/or bang them around.

     

    But, what I would not consider is the nauticam housing for the EPL-2. If I was spending that kind of money, I'd house a NEX-5 in a nauticam. It seems like a better camera to me. Also, better video which I'm interested in.

    So, I'm not bashing the EPL-2 or nauticam at all, just don't see the wisdom in the price difference.

  7. I currently own an S95 and I'm going through the same delimma.

    Debating whether to house the S95 in a recsea housing ($800) or go to an EPL-2 in Oly housing about $1100.

    The other factor is that my wife loves the S95 and has kind of taken it over, so if I invest in a recsea housing, I'd probably get a second S95 as a backup. She has a tendancy to lose things and/or bang them around.

     

    But, what I would not consider is the nauticam housing for the EPL-2. If I was spending that kind of money, I'd house a NEX-5 in a nauticam. It seems like a better camera to me. Also, better video which I'm interested in.

    So, I'm not bashing the EPL-2 or nauticam at all, just don't see the wisdom in the price difference.

     

     

    I really looked at the NEX5, but preferred the idea of a m43 camera so that I would be part of a bigger system. The sony does look like a great camera. As far as the housing, the nauticam is definitely the high end of the price range. Whether you bought a EPL2 for $550 or a NEX5 for $650, I think the housing choice would be independent, I am more driven by the fact I already have 2 ike strobes. I suspect a lot of people looking at this camera are upgrading from some other rig and so the choice of housing will be very influenced by what else they already have.

     

    I just bought the 9-18 Olympus ultrawide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) zoom to go with the EPL2, and love it. That will be my wreck lens. It is almost unbelievable how small and light the system is. I can't wait to get it in the water - probably in the fall. For now I am learning the menus and getting it set up. Very happy so far.

    Edited by jetlife2
  8. I really looked at the NEX5, but preferred the idea of a m43 camera so that I would be part of a bigger system. The sony does look like a great camera. As far as the housing, the nauticam is definitely the high end of the price range. Whether you bought a EPL2 for $550 or a NEX5 for $650, I think the housing choice would be independent, I am more driven by the fact I already have 2 ike strobes. I suspect a lot of people looking at this camera are upgrading from some other rig and so the choice of housing will be very influenced by what else they already have.

     

    I just bought the 9-18 Olympus ultrawide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) zoom to go with the EPL2, and love it. That will be my wreck lens. It is almost unbelievable how small and light the system is. I can't wait to get it in the water - probably in the fall. For now I am learning the menus and getting it set up. Very happy so far.

     

    In my original post when I said price difference, I really meant between the OLY housing and the nauticam housing. The price between cameras is fairly neglible. I guess what I meant was if I decided to go NEX-5, then nauticam or aquatica is kind of only choice. But, if going epl-2, then the oly housing looks nice and a dome port is available. That 1K of price difference between nauticam and oly can almost buy a dome port and the 9-18.

     

    I'm still waiting to hear whether the new oly add on lenses for the 14-42(II) are viable underwater.

    that could make things very interesting.

  9. So... Is anybody using any of these 4/3 systems?

    How good are the results?

    Any examples of pictures?

    One of these may be a nice alternative to a housed DSLR especially when flying.

  10. So... Is anybody using any of these 4/3 systems?

    How good are the results?

    Any examples of pictures?

    One of these may be a nice alternative to a housed DSLR especially when flying.

     

     

    here is a good review of the EPL1

     

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/hands-on-re...t-ep01-housing/

  11. I was also wondering whether the E-PL2 accessory lenses will fit or are useable in the housing with the normal or dome ports?

  12. We have received and tested the MCON-P01 and FCON-PO1 lenses.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42 /3.5-5.6 II & MCON-P01 is usable in Zen WA-100-EP. It is not usable in WA-100-EP714, DP-100-EP, or FP-100-EP.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42 /3.5-5.6 & FCON-P01 is not usable in any of the ports we currently offer. We are investigating a short extension ring for WA-100 that would allow its use, but I can't comment on image quality or compatibility yet.

    Edited by Ryan
  13. Also take a look at the Recsea housings for the E-PL1 & E-PL2 , they offer interchangeable ports that support a broad spectrum of lenses

     

    Scott

  14. We have received and tested the MCON-P01 and FCON-PO1 lenses.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42 /3.5-5.6 II & MCON-P01 is usable in Zen WA-100-EP. It is not usable in WA-100-EP714, DP-100-EP, or FP-100-EP.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42 /3.5-5.6 & FCON-P01 is not usable in any of the ports we currently offer. We are investigating a short extension ring for WA-100 that would allow its use, but I can't comment on image quality or compatibility yet.

     

     

    Ryan,

    thanks for the info.

    I'll be looking forward to more updates regarding these add on lenses.

  15. I am loving the M4/3's system. If you are going from a P&S to M4/3"s you will be in heaven. The no shutter lag alone will net you more keepers as well as the IQ. The two lenses I would recommend are the Panny 45mm macro and the Panny 7-14mm. A good macro is a must and the 7mm 114 degree view is just incredable. I am saving for the Panny 8mm fisheye next.

  16. We have received and tested the MCON-P01 and FCON-PO1 lenses.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42 /3.5-5.6 II & MCON-P01 is usable in Zen WA-100-EP. It is not usable in WA-100-EP714, DP-100-EP, or FP-100-EP.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42 /3.5-5.6 & FCON-P01 is not usable in any of the ports we currently offer. We are investigating a short extension ring for WA-100 that would allow its use, but I can't comment on image quality or compatibility yet.

     

    Ryan, you said the MCON-P01 is usable with the Zen port.

    How about the images? Is it worthwhile?

  17. In response to the original post of e-pl2 vs a high end compact.

     

    I speak from experience. I moved from an Oly xz-1, one of the very best compacts ever, to the e-pl2. There is NO COMPARISON between the two for image quality. The m43 sensor is 8 times bigger than the compact, and, boy, does it show. The Oly gives full-on professional quality if used with the right technique. The xz-1 cannot even come close, especially once you begin cropping or image adjustments. But even the xz-1 at its best cannot come close to the e-pl2.

     

    I did not switch looking for image quality. I switched because the xz-1 would not sync for TTL exposure with my Sea and Sea ys-01 strobes (and, also, the xz-1 would not digiscope--which is taking high maginfication images of birds through a spotting scope).

     

    However, when I put the images up from the new camera, I was just amazed at the difference.

     

    Is it equal to my 5dII? Of course not. Still, I am pretty picky and this more than satisfies my demands for a very high quality and compact UW rig. I will not go back to any compact ever again except for point and shoot snapshots.

  18. Hey guy.

     

    Is the difference clear, in raw, at base ISO? Or do you have to go up some in ISO before you notice?

     

    Thanks!

  19. I have used both of these cameras underwater and yes the difference is clear in raw at base ISO. Many on wetpixel and other sites have raved about the difference between full frame and the 4/3 size sensors which are less than four times smaller than fullframe (35 mm size). If the difference is that great between full and 4/3 I think it would stand to reason that P & S cameras with sensors 5 to 7 times smaller than the 4/3 sensor would have the same short comings. The Olympus XZ-1 is one of the best in its class but you can't expect it to compete with the much larger 4/3 sensor any more than you would expect the Olympus E-P3 to compare to the Nikon D3X.

     

    Phil Rudin

  20. When you use the epl2 in M mode, with auto ISO, how fine are the ISO steps? 1/3, whole?

     

    Has that changed on the ep3 epl3?

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.