Our friends over at Reef Photo and Video sent us some images of the expected Subal Nikon D7000 housing. Hopefully this means a release date is imminent. From the photos it looks as if there is full access to all the controls which should bode well for photographers and videographers alike.
Looks very nice. Also nice to see optical bulkheads etc. Hmm should I get this or a Seacam Prelude.
I see Reef has the new Subal listed on their website for $4289 USD.
You should get two Jeff.
Cheers,
Steve
I see Reef has the new Subal listed on their website for $4289 USD.
You should get two Jeff.
Cheers,
Steve
LOL; Don't tempt me. Just bought a Nauticam D7000 for my daughter.
Those folks at Subal really do make a beautiful piece of gear. (It's the engineer in me I can't help it)
Did Ryan say when we could expect to see a review?
Steve
Hmmm the LCD window looks like it'll partially blocking the full screen.
Hmmm the LCD window looks like it'll partially blocking the full screen.
With the Subal magnifying viewfinder there probably is a little
No I think it's blocked width wise as well.
No I think it's blocked width wise as well.
What's up with the negativity Drew?
Not negative,.. just observation Mike. Seems full view of the LCD isn't a priority, and dual ability to shoot video, it is a bigger deal. But if I'm wrong about it, that's a good thing.
Hmmm the LCD window looks like it'll partially blocking the full screen.
Hey Drew, you've got me buddy... how can you tell when there is no camera fitted in the housing in the pictures that are posted here?
LOL; Don't tempt me. Just bought a Nauticam D7000 for my daughter.
Well, can't go wrong with Nauticam either. Got on the list for two of the Subals myself. Cant wait to try out the D7000s underwater with optical strobes.
To me it doesnt seem like the window is too small, but I dont have my D7000s here in San Juan to check.
Initial price of over US$4,000 places them about $1,000 over Nauticam and $1,500 over Aquatica.
While they may be nice; are they worth that much more?
Even the economy SeaCam is $1,000 less!
Hey Drew, you've got me buddy... how can you tell when there is no camera fitted in the housing in the pictures that are posted here?
Like I said, "it looks like" to be obscured based on the layout and the scale of the window to any camera with a 3:2 3.0" screen. I'd estimate the left side of the screen is partially blocked. But I'm not curious enough to find and superimpose 2 images to prove it. I'd be happy to be wrong because it seems Seacam and Subal don't seem to take full view of the LCD into account in the design. However, housing designs are always about compromises.
Okuma, I think Subal is the only manufacturer with a 10" dome. That alone could be worth the premium for some, especially super duper wide rectilinear shooters.
Hi guys,
When I spoke to Subal at LIDS, they were talking about having interchangeable rear windows. One of these will have a prism built in, to allow a 100% view of the Live View/Video LCD at a more natural angle. This housing has an info window on the top, so the rear window would probably only be used for image review and Live View.
Adam
Factory interchangeable or user interchangeable? Sounds like a cool idea.
From what I remember - Rolf's answer in London was "not user changeable, like their viewfinders". I then pointed out I take my subal viewfinder off for every flight - and he admitted many users do - but they don't want to encourage less experienced users to do those things - as it can lead to problems.
Alex
Ive seen Subal viewfinders leak twice now during trips. In both cases people that took them off during transport. Rolf has a point
Factory interchangeable or user interchangeable? Sounds like a cool idea.
You mean this......
They have a ADEX booth opposite mine! Hope to see some Wetpixellers tomorrow night for the meet and greet gathering.
You mean this......
They have a ADEX booth opposite mine! Hope to see some Wetpixellers tomorrow night for the meet and greet gathering.
That looks like a great idea. Add a little hood and I could possibly see myself using this as a regular viewfinder.