Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Problem with buttons

Started by Seabeast ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Problem with buttons

24 posts
  1. Hi guyz! I have some problem with Hugyfot housing, give me some advice plz. After 10 days of using in saltwater the buttons looks terrible. They are made from brass with a nickel plating and the plating has been eaten away. Pascal Eeckhoudt (from Hugyfot support) said me that the reason is due to potential difference (electrical circuit) created by all metal parts surrounding the housing (including diving gear). It sounds fantastic! I have some metal parts on my equipment like D-rings etc, but I can't believe it causes any problems. It seems more likely that the problem is with the poor quality of buttons. I've seen some Hugyfot owners here, tell me please do you have this experience?

     

    8f506991ddeb.jpg

     

    Probably this will not affect the water tightness, but it looks like a s**t and doesn't make me happy after payment 2000 euro for the housing =(

  2. Hi guyz! I have some problem with Hugyfot housing, give me some advice plz. After 10 days of using in saltwater the buttons looks terrible. They are made from brass with a nickel plating and the plating has been eaten away. Pascal Eeckhoudt (from Hugyfot support) said me that the reason is due to potential difference (electrical circuit) created by all metal parts surrounding the housing (including diving gear). It sounds fantastic! I have some metal parts on my equipment like D-rings etc, but I can't believe it causes any problems. It seems more likely that the problem is with the poor quality of buttons. I've seen some Hugyfot owners here, tell me please do you have this experience?

     

    Probably this will not affect the water tightness, but it looks like a s**t and doesn't make me happy after payment 2000 euro for the housing =(

    Hugy support is correct. Salt water is an excellent electrical conductor. You can consult your countryman’s (Mendeleyev) periodic table to see that copper (CU) and zinc (ZN) are more reactive than aluminum (AL) or iron (FE). I had a similar problem when I used ikelite Ai strobes with aluminum housing. I think they ground to the housing. I added zinc “electrodes” attached to the housing. That helped.

     

    If it where my 2K euro housing, I would have it refurbished by Hugy and consult with them about what of your diving equipment could be causing the problem.

     

    Bob

  3. Thanks Bob. Unfortunately it's too expensive for me to send the housing to Belgium again. Can you explain a little bit about "electrodes" which are you used? Is it just a small zinc plates, attached to the housing?

  4. I have no experience at all with Huggy housings but that looks like an awful lot of electrolysis for 10 days use.

    I think I would be somehow checking for any stray currents. What strobes & connection are you using.

    A zinc anode on the housing will certainly help but won't get to the root of the problem.

    Edited by Balrog
  5. I use 2 x Z240 strobes with fibre optic cable and there is also the CR123A lithium battery inside the housing.

    Not all the buttons look like this. Some of them are in better condition.

     

    5aa6179b9241.jpg

     

    I use the line also with s/s snaps to fasten the housing to the harness. Maybe it works as a conductor?

    I'll try to change s/s snaps to plastic, but now it's too late =(

     

    cf4b19aff8c5.jpg

  6. You are using 2xZ240 with fiberoptic now. But, did you ever used S&S cables + TTL converter with it ?

     

    Sam

  7. This trip is my first experience with underwater photography. This is a brand new equipment and I have never used something else before.

    Edited by Seabeast
  8. If you can find a location for an addition to your housing, coating a piece of aluminum with galvanizing paint then using threaded connections to attach it to your housing might be of use. This should prevent further corrosion of your buttons if they are connected to the galvanized Al via metal parts. The galvanized part does not have to be large - it just needs enough surface area to provide a sacrificial coating.

    This will not help you buttons current state but could prevent further issues.

     

    Overall, I am rather amazed that a reputable housing maker would have buttons that are the most prone to corrosion part of the assembly. Galvanic corrosion and its prevention is nothing new nor is it so difficult to manage. But adding galvanizing yourself in some form should be useful.

     

    Hope that is some help.

    dave

  9. I use 2 x Z240 strobes with fibre optic cable and there is also the CR123A lithium battery inside the housing.

    The Inons with fiber connection should not be a problem. Nothing but non-conductive connections. I don't think the strobe arms should be a problem, but they could be isolated if required.

     

    The Li battery inside may be the problem. I don't know the Hugy housing. Is this a moisture alarm or a part of the Hugy check system? If possible, make sure there is no conductivity between the battery and the housing.

     

    I use the line also with s/s snaps to fasten the housing to the harness. Maybe it works as a conductor?

    I'll try to change s/s snaps to plastic, but now it's too late =(

    With the nylon straps, I don't think this a suspect. Galvanizing is plating zinc onto another metal. The more the surface area, the more the Zn will be "sacrificed". Check out a marine supply store for Zn plates. They are used on motors and keels to prevent this problem. Galvinizing plate will not last as long as a Zn rod or plate.

     

    Unfortunately this crosive action will continue. Consider replacing the affected buttons and controls.

     

    Bob

  10. From your picture, the buttons look orange or copper colored. You say they told you they were nickel plated. Normally in the plating process, a thin copper plating, called a strike, is done first to give nickel a good grip to stick on. Then the object is given a nickel plate. Usually calles an electroless nickel plate. It looks like the final nickel plate was bad and it wore/deplated off. I'd call this defective product and insist that Hugy step up to their product responsibility. Take this note and your housung to a local plating shop and ask for some free advice. The Hugy response about "potential difference between metals in salt water " is a correct explanation of why their product failed. Did you get a discount for a poorley plated set of buttons?

    Adding a zinc will only work if there is electrical continunity with the buttons, which I doubt!

     

    Good luck!

  11. Notwithstanding my previous, and others comments, the fact remains that you purchased a product intended for underwater use. By a diver who uses equipment that may contain various types of metals and their housing is built for strobe attachment. Weather the plating was deficient as implied in my earlier comment , or it is a good plating, the fact remains that it correded after 10 hours of use.

     

    From their web site Hugy boasts that they have been in business for 68 years and by now they should not be putting out a product that goes bad after 10 hours.

     

    They should replace the buttons or a new back at their cost.

  12. From their web site Hugy boasts that they have been in business for 68 years and by now they should not be putting out a product that goes bad after 10 hours.

    They should replace the buttons or a new back at their cost.

    10 days, not the hours =)

    Pascal was out of office for few days. Today he promised to send me a new set of buttons. I'm not sure about the cause of corrosion. Hugyfot has long experience and a lot of customers. I didn't find anything about the problems with their buttons. But I don't have anything unusual about my equipment also. Hope it was a random problem with the quality...

     

    p.s. He answered also that they don't make stainless steel buttons, because s/s acts very aggressive on alluminium.

  13. Hi guyz! I have some problem with Hugyfot housing, give me some advice plz. After 10 days of using in saltwater the buttons looks terrible. They are made from brass with a nickel plating and the plating has been eaten away. Pascal Eeckhoudt (from Hugyfot support) said me that the reason is due to potential difference (electrical circuit) created by all metal parts surrounding the housing (including diving gear). It sounds fantastic! I have some metal parts on my equipment like D-rings etc, but I can't believe it causes any problems. It seems more likely that the problem is with the poor quality of buttons. I've seen some Hugyfot owners here, tell me please do you have this experience?

     

    8f506991ddeb.jpg

     

    Probably this will not affect the water tightness, but it looks like a s**t and doesn't make me happy after payment 2000 euro for the housing =(

     

    Hi Seabeast,

     

    I agree with what everyone is saying about you needing zinc anodes attached to your housing. I have seen a Nikonos 15mm lens that was almost completely eaten away by galvanic response to sea water and some housings with corrosion problems. I have used zince anodes on my Nexus housings and they have faired much better than my earlier housings before using the anodes.

     

    Anodes may be purchased here http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...;classNum=10312. I think the treads are 1/4x20, which your housing may not use, but the zinc is so soft it would be easy to tap the end with your metric threads. I have no commercial interest with West Marine, they are just close to my house.

     

    I use 2 anodes on my housing, one on the front and one on the back half section of the housing. The anode only needs to stick out about 10mm or 1/2".

     

    Good luck,

    Barry

    www.marinekeywords.com

     

    www.bareports.com

  14. It seems that housing already has zinc anodes. There are two washers on the bottom. I'm not sure about the metal, but it looks similar to zinc.

     

    d32e45dd7f1d.jpg

  15. Yes, looks like it - or less likely aluminium. Huggy will tell you.

     

    They've taken a bit of action too in just 10 dives. It looks like they were machined so doubt they were pitted when the housing was new.

    I can only say again that I think you should be looking for some source of stray current. The strobes with fibre optic are unlikely candidates, particularly if they have plastic ball ends.

  16. Yes, looks like it - or less likely aluminium. Huggy will tell you.

     

    They've taken a bit of action too in just 10 dives. It looks like they were machined so doubt they were pitted when the housing was new.

    I can only say again that I think you should be looking for some source of stray current. The strobes with fibre optic are unlikely candidates, particularly if they have plastic ball ends.

    I agree. The Hugy Check uses a 3 VDC battery. Is it completely insolated from the camera housing? The strobe circuitry looks complicated. Any possible leaks here? You might try this. Submerse housing in sea water without camera and check battery. Corrosion? If not, add check battery and repeat and if OK then the camera fully hooked up and so on.

     

    Isn’t there a warranty on a new housing? Shouldn’t Hugy stand up for their product?

     

    Bob

  17. Hi @ all,

     

    this is not a Hugy problem.....

     

    I had the same problem with my housing now I use a zinc anode between the arm on the left side and the housing.

     

    This is the link to my german seller...

     

    http://www.hydronalin.com/shop/article_HUG...29.html?pse=apq

     

    MwST

    Edited by mwst
  18. ...this is not a Hugy problem.....

     

    If they are indeed all like this, it's certainly put Huggyfot off my list of possible future suppliers. Shame they are attractive rigs.

     

    I don't think many would want to shell out for a housing that starts to rot after a few dives and that is a Huggy problem.

     

    If the standard housing is constructed in such a way that it needs an anode, they should fit one.

     

    2c

     

    Tim

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.