Hello,
I am new to the forum so thank you in advance for any advice. I have done a lot of research but can not find exactly what I am looking for.
I have been an avid photographer for about three years now. I have a canon 5d mark ii with 28-70mm l and 70-300 l series lenses. I also recently purchase a Nikonos V with 15mm and a few Ikelite strobes. I have never used film before but I was able to get the entire Nikonos set from a retired photographer who kept everything in pristine condition for less than $500. I could not pass it up considering the 15mm lens can go for more than that. My question now is, if I were to take the plunge and buy an underwater housing for my canon 5d ii with strobes etc, would the results I got from that be much better than the Nikonos V using High grade slide flim? My question is not which will be easier because obviously digital is far easier. I am mainly concerned with which will produce higher quality images. Ideally, I would like the challenge of mastering the Nikonos and buying a quality scanner to scan my own prints into digital for post processing. Cost is not my concern, only quality. I am in the Army and stationed in Hawaii so I try to dive atleast once a week. My bonus will be used pretty much entirely on photography gear so I just want to make sure that I end up with the best set up possible. If the Nikonos and Good slide film can produce the same images or better images than my 5d I would much rather stick with the Nikonos for UW shots and keep the Canon for above water shooting. Again I apologize for being yet another newbie asking probably the same question youve seen 1000 times but as Ive said, I have done considerable research and have not been able to find many people who use the 5d ii for underwater shots let alone a comparison between the two. Thank you for your time.
Jim
I forgot to mention that the reason that I purchased the Nikonos is because I am a marine biology major and I will be taking as many photography classes as possible. The first couple of classes are film based classes so I figured the nikonos could double as my film camera for class as well as my UW camera for diving.