With my 105mm I hardly ever use AF, although it is an AF lens; Underwater, I set-up at, say, f16-f22 with 2 strobes, so I don't need VR either (I use a focussing light when its dark (a Chinese made $15 UW LED torch strapped to a strobe)). I do have tripods I use with a different camera underwater (an old modified Benbo Trekker, I have also used my Manfrotto 055B and an old Gitzo #5), but for macro I usually just either put down the camera onto something hard, or at least steady myself with both elbows. That may take a bit of patience and practice, but gives results.
Many moons ago I started with the 60mm AF, 1-2 strobes and the Nikon F4, often just leaving it in AF mode, and was very happy with the results without any AF problems on that set-up as well.
On land, I set the camera up on a tripod and a have small softbox on an external strobe (occasionally with extra reflectors), or a ring-flash. I also use clamps and an umbrella if wind is a factor, again, VR is not really useful unless I'd do e.g. available-light portraits instead.
E.g. UK-Germany makes a UW-ringflash, if you're interested: Here is someone else's pic of one on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cerianthus/363837150/