I have followed (and foolishly commented on) the Final Cut Pro X "expectation" and "post partum depression" thread. As an amateur, it would appear that FCP X has been developed for me. However, it also appears that if I wanted to do some animation, I would need Motion, and if I wanted to export thing with some kind of sophistication, I may need Compressor. That's a $400 investment in a product that is, from all opinions, still in a preliminary state.
What I understood is that I would not be able to run it off my 2006 MBP, so I have ordered a 21.5" iMac i7, which I am planning to beef up to 12 or 16 GB of RAM (that's the max). Not a pro station, but all I am planning to invest in editing hardware (and I love the form factor). FCP X should run fine on this, but so should Premiere. I have started looking into Adobe's website, and I must say, I am pretty impressed by the amount of tutorial information there is for grab. The attractive thing is that I realized that I could get CS5.5 for $359, which is less than the complete product "half-suite" from Apple and contains tons more (although I may not need half of it).
Being only familiar with FCE (after migrating away from iMovie 9 out of frustration), I wonder what to do. It seems that migrating from FCP/FCE to Premiere shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am seduced by the idea of having a complete suite with which I may in the future do things that I don't know I needed to do now. Moreover, it appears that Adobe is capable of doing something that Apple pathetically says is impossible (that is importing FCP projects into a different NLE environment), which is great.
I'd be interested to hear about passionate (and not so passionate) opinions and advices on software (and possibly hardware).
Thanks!