Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Share your favorite photographers

Started by oceansblue ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Share your favorite photographers

32 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Who are your top five favorite underwater photographers that you are inspired by their work, like their photos and basically their work are remarkable to you?

     

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Al

  2. I will start with two: David Doubilet and Paul Nicklen. There are several other topics in wp about this same matter...

  3. I will start with two: David Doubilet and Paul Nicklen. There are several other topics in wp about this same matter...

     

    I guess David Doubilet is among the legends when it comes to underwater. Big names even bring up his name!

  4. Wes Skiles is always the first that comes to my mind.

  5. There are many inspiring, published photographers out there that are worth mentioning. Just share those that you like their work and you feel like you've been moved by their work at least once.

    Edited by oceansblue
  6. Thanks for sharing Andres.

  7. Let us not forget our own Eric Cheng as well as Marty Snyderman, Eric Hanauer and Michelle Hall.

    Steve

  8. These three are pre digital and are a big influence on my carreer, anybody that ever shot Kodachrome underwater will understand why I choose those three guy's

     

    David Doubilet

    Stephen Frink

    Chris Newbert

     

    Jim Church for is no nonsense approach to the mechanic of underwater photography

     

    Paul Nicklen for is bold new blood and for pushing new frontiers on what can be or should be done all the time

     

    And Eric Cheng for the quality of his work on such a short carreer, give the dude another 20 years and the technology that he is working on and... Ahem! the O'le geezers have better watch out!!! :)

     

    So ok its six, so bite me :laugh:

    Edited by Viz'art
  9. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned AlexMustard; few people have been as prolific and creative in the approach to underwater photography. And then there are the unsung heroes in my book - maybe not professional photographers, but every bit as good - Jose Alejandro Alvarez (elbuzo) comes to mind.

    Edited by loftus
  10. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned AlexMustard; few people have been as prolific and creative in the approach to underwater photography.

     

    Well you just did :laugh:

     

    In my case I based my top four on the impact they had on me getting involved in underwater photography (Alex is, fortunately for him, way to young to have had any influence on me at the time :) ), Paul, I selected because of his fringe polar working environment and the determination he constantly shows in getting the work completed, a true mark of a professional photographer, one who brings back images and not excuses and finally Eric, because of not only his very talented personal work, but again, for the deep influence and platform he has provided (read Wetpixel) on newcomers to underwater photography, but by then I was already past my allocated 5 photographer :fishblue:.

  11. Zena Holloway and a topside photographer Jan Tove. His photos are art to my mind and I wish I could emulate that feel underwater.

  12. OK; my 5 including pool folks then.

     

    David Doubilet

    Jim Church

    Alex Mustard

    Paul Nicklen

    Howard Schatz

     

    There are many other great photographers, but I think in terms of body of work, development of a style and contribution to the art, few can compare with these guys. And if I could sneak in a 6th, I think a very under appreciated photographer who has a remarkable sense of light, movement and presence underwater is Mauricio Handler.

    Edited by loftus
  13. Yes Mauricio by all mean, I would have put him as well, but he is to much of a good friend :) I that would have been to much bias from my part. Been a friend sucks sometime :laugh:

  14. Let's not forget the truly excellent photographic work of Steve Wong and his wife Takako Uno shooting incredible work over in the Asian areas.

    Steve

  15. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned AlexMustard; few people have been as prolific and creative in the approach to underwater photography. And then there are the unsung heroes in my book - maybe not professional photographers, but every bit as good - Jose Alejandro Alvarez (elbuzo) comes to mind.

     

     

    HAHAHAHAHA , buddy you made me blush !

     

    Now that i saw this post , let me put my top five list :

     

    Laurent Ballesta

    David Doubilet

    Paul Nicklen

    Ernest Brooks II

    Chris Newbert

     

    Through his workshops , Mauricio Handler was the biggest influence on me so he's next on my list.

     

    JA

  16. Ah yes! Ernie Brooks, not only an excellent photographer, but even if the man would have never shot a single frame in his life, he would still be one of favorite person, what an enjoyable fellow!

     

    And Loftus is right you have some great stuff!

     

    Boy O Boy, we need more than five! :laugh:

  17. My current favourites, in no particular order...

     

    Alex Mustard... a wonderful all-rounder, as we all know.

    Charles Hood... a natural problem solver with an eye for the original. At his best on wrecks or with basking sharks

    Nigel Motyer... an Irish photographer who brings incredible vitality to every project he embarks on. Great with temperate reefs and big animals

    Douglas Seifert... a natural history purist, the best shark photographer ever

    Jordi Chias... a Spanish photojournalist with a wonderful eye for colour and form

    Steve Jones... another great UK photographer who can turn his hand to anything

    Doug Perrine... the ultimate obsessive with big animals. His sardine run set was the best portfolio I have ever seen

     

    Yeah... seven. Sorry.

     

    I have omitted some obvious 'grandees' on purpose. I decided to pick people based on the last five years of work.

     

    It's just my opinion. It might change tomorrow!

     

    Simon

  18. These three are pre digital and are a big influence on my carreer, anybody that ever shot Kodachrome underwater will understand why I choose those three guy's

     

    David Doubilet

    Stephen Frink

    Chris Newbert

     

    Jim Church for is no nonsense approach to the mechanic of underwater photography

     

    Paul Nicklen for is bold new blood and for pushing new frontiers on what can be or should be done all the time

     

    And Eric Cheng for the quality of his work on such a short carreer, give the dude another 20 years and the technology that he is working on and... Ahem! the O'le geezers have better watch out!!! :guiness:

     

    So ok its six, so bite me ;)

     

    Thank you for sharing your list. They are all amazing photographers.

  19. My current favourites, in no particular order...

     

    Alex Mustard... a wonderful all-rounder, as we all know.

    Charles Hood... a natural problem solver with an eye for the original. At his best on wrecks or with basking sharks

    Nigel Motyer... an Irish photographer who brings incredible vitality to every project he embarks on. Great with temperate reefs and big animals

    Douglas Seifert... a natural history purist, the best shark photographer ever

    Jordi Chias... a Spanish photojournalist with a wonderful eye for colour and form

    Steve Jones... another great UK photographer who can turn his hand to anything

    Doug Perrine... the ultimate obsessive with big animals. His sardine run set was the best portfolio I have ever seen

     

    Yeah... seven. Sorry.

     

    I have omitted some obvious 'grandees' on purpose. I decided to pick people based on the last five years of work.

     

    It's just my opinion. It might change tomorrow!

     

    Simon

     

    Thank you Simon for sharing your top photographers.

  20. What about

    • Cathy Church
    • Curt Bowen

    I guess they too have contributed a lot to underwater photography.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.