Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

new nikon mirrorless with a twist

Started by derway ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

new nikon mirrorless with a twist

23 posts
  1. for a camera that have a 73 point af system (say whaaaatt..)

    it does looks promising..

  2. for a camera that have a 73 point af system (say whaaaatt..)

    it does looks promising..

    :D OK - I asked Eric Cheng about setting up a seperate section for the EVIL - Mirrorless cameras w. interchangeable lenses. He suggested posting in the DSLR section. So, if WP doesn't create a new catagory, we could agree to post in one. I think these tpes are closer to DSLRs than digicams.

    Bob

    Edited by Alex_Mustard — typo corrected by Mod
  3. :D OK - I asked Eric Chen about setting up a seperate section for the EVIL - Mirrorless cameras w. interchangeable lenses. He suggested posting in the DSLR section. So, if WP doesn't create a new catagory, we could agree to post in one. I think these tpes are closer to DSLRs than digicams.

    Bob

     

    Good idea with the new category - to keep the categoriee menu tight maybe the "Film Cameras/Housings" and "Dedicated U/W Digicams" could be merged, since there is not much traffic in there? (Unless a Digital Nikonos RS appears out of nowhere, but this one would for sure get a category on its own...). Just my 2 cents.

     

    Jock

  4. Those are small cameras.

     

    The mockups indicate a possible macro lens and wide angle zoom.

     

    One has a viewfinder and one does not. So I don't know what category you should put them in.

     

    Where's my Nikonos DS?

  5. Alas, if you search, you will find, already, there is more on the EVIL cameras in this forum, than in DSLRs.

     

    Every oly PEN, and most of the pana GH and GF threads are here.

     

    We really need that extra forum!!!

     

    Come on Eric.

  6. Looked at the V1 at Sammy's. Compared it to the GF3.

     

    The Nikon was bigger. The salesman at Sammy's was very high on the GF3. Thought it was as excellent camera.

     

    I mention this because there are housings becoming available for the GF3 now, while there are not even UW useful lenses available for the V1 yet.

     

    Of course the GX1 with an improved sensor was also announced yesterday.

  7. The gx1 same sensor as g3. Pretty darn good. The new add on EVF is the same spec as the g3 evf. So much better than that first evf out for the gf1..

     

    The nikon series 1 looks like bad jokes. Not enough lenses, and it'll be years!

     

    Nikon should put one of these sensors in a really great p7100 replacement - with an f2.8 24-100 lens, and a really good OVF!

  8. Looked at the V1 at Sammy's. Compared it to the GF3.

     

    The Nikon was bigger. The salesman at Sammy's was very high on the GF3. Thought it was as excellent camera.

     

    I mention this because there are housings becoming available for the GF3 now, while there are not even UW useful lenses available for the V1 yet.

     

    Of course the GX1 with an improved sensor was also announced yesterday.

    In the conclusions section of the Dema report, Adam notes that none of the housing companies seem interested in the Nikon J1/V1. I am thinking the Sony NEX7 or the Pany GX1 may be the best bets.

     

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  9. In the conclusions section of the Dema report, Adam notes that none of the housing companies seem interested in the Nikon J1/V1. I am thinking the Sony NEX7 or the Pany GX1 may be the best bets.

     

    Bob

     

    imho,i dont think nex7 will do that well.

    i think for now the nex5n is the king of mirrorless. the gx1 looks good though.

    Cos i saw on the net the nex5n is better in terms iso test against the nex7.

    The 24mp is good but it is too much for the sensor.

    The buzzkill for me about the nex7 is the ridiculous price.

  10. In the conclusions section of the Dema report, Adam notes that none of the housing companies seem interested in the Nikon J1/V1. I am thinking the Sony NEX7 or the Pany GX1 may be the best bets.

     

    Bob

     

    The fast burst rate (continuous shooting at 60 frames per second) of the Nikon V1 seems interesting for macro. No more worrying about getting the right part of the critter in focus, just start moving and fire off a burst!

     

    Of course, this would require a video light instead of a strobe (or naturally lit macro), but it does seem like an interesting niche use, assuming the Nikon "1" macro lens is decent.

  11. The fast burst rate (continuous shooting at 60 frames per second) of the Nikon V1 seems interesting for macro. No more worrying about getting the right part of the critter in focus, just start moving and fire off a burst!

     

     

    Hmmm ... So much for Cartier-Bresson's critical moment. :B):

     

    I wish Sony would stop the mega pixel race. Soon we will have 5 lb. lenses on a 12 oz. camra to match the resolution.

     

    Bob

  12. I actually wouldn't say that no housing manufacturers are watching J1/V1. I know of two that have expressed interest.

     

    I have J1 in hand, and think it is a fun camera, but am not sure if I could deal with 1/60 flash sync as a primary underwater cameras. V1 doesn't have the sync speed problem, but the housing form factor will "unusual" to house the camera and SB-N5 together.

  13. Ryan is obviously privy to information that I was not :)

     

    The general reception to the Nikon 1 series seemed to be pretty unenthusiastic, whereas the NEX-5N and NEX-7 have been very well received. The fact that many manufacturers were showing or have announced their intention to house the NEX-5N whilst none have done so for the Nikons, seems to promote the idea that they are being cautious about them.

     

    I'm planning to do a review of NEX-5N housings-I'll keep everyone posted!

     

    Adam

  14. Adam

     

    I would be very interested in your review as I am thinking the nex 5n as my next camera,

  15. The J1 could make an nice underwater camera and maybe Ikelite will show it some love. It would be interesting to compare with Micro 4/3.

     

    On land, I wouldn't be very interested in the 1 series. The sensor is too small for the portraiture that I like to do. Instead, I bought a Sony NEX-5N. It is, quite litteraly a pocketable D7000. I have an old pre-AI 105mm Nikkor that is now a joy to use with the focus peaking feature.

    Edited by DesertEagle
  16. I'm planning to do a review of NEX-5N housings-I'll keep everyone posted!

     

    Adam

     

    Problem with the Nex system is lack of lenses. I agree that the 5N is nice (and the pictures it takes too!) but no UWA, no macro (well, 35mm is a bit short!). So you get a very nice body but no lense and then what?

  17. Maybe I'm completely out of the box here, but to me this is the only serious contender... the Nikon v1 that is.

     

    My daily gig... shooting OW entry level divers on their recreational dives... requires a fast recycle time on the strobe to re-do the less-than-ideal shots (think exhaling bubbles, & awkward body positions)... and there's no way an internal flash/fiber optic cable combo is going to (1) do the trick or (2) be durable enough for a professional setting (think how often dive guides get kicked, swatted or run into by new divers).

     

    So the Nikon v1 having a hotshoe makes it the only EVIL camera on my radar. Sure hope Nauticam or somebody is going to produce a housing. Until then, I'm stuck waffling between my G10/Patima combo (getting above average shots but secretly knowing i could have gotten better)... or attempting to hulk around my 5D/Subal with it completely in the way of my dive guiding.

     

    Come on guys... give us' blue collar pros' something we can work with!

     

    Oops, stepping away from soapbox now.

  18. Every panasonic evil camera has a hot shoe, except for the gf3. The oly ep and epl series also all have hot shoes.

     

    Most of these are far less expensive than the nikon, far larger sensors, and far larger lens selections.

  19. Surely the hotshoe argument is history? I use a d-slr on manual strobe settings and low power to trigger optical strobes and it fires just as often as I like.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.