Just finished watching the 1st episode of the Frozen Planet. I have to say Jamie's shots of the Orca were awesome! And those penguin surfing slomos! Simply magnificent! Congrats Beebs crew! There are very cool setups with timelapse under the ice by Hugh Miller and Doug Anderson too.
- 63Posts
- 63Replies
Read-only discussion
BBC Frozen Planet
-
-
Ouh man... Now I really need to see this!!

-
I agree, it was great. The Orcas and timelapse were great. A good friend of mine, Mateo Willis shot some of the glaciar timelapse topside. Can't wait for next week's episode.
-
Yep, just finished watching it. Superlative. Loved the sea lion and penguin sequence.
-
Oh, I am going to download this from the iPlayer and watch it. Thanks for the heads up - miss the promo for these things not being in the UK.
Alex
-
It was very impressive watching it in HD and the timelapse sequences were especially magical. The Beeb at her best.

-
Don't forget to watch Freeze Frame, the behind the scenes program that comes after the main program.
One thing I just realized is that Sir David is 85 years old and traveling to the poles! I hope I'm that active at that age... IF I make it there!
-
One thing I just realized is that Sir David is 85 years old and traveling to the poles! I hope I'm that active at that age... IF I make it there!
Amazing what you can do with Green screen ...

Yes it was an awesome prog and why I do not mind the licence fee...
Dean
-
Oh, I am going to download this from the iPlayer and watch it. Thanks for the heads up - miss the promo for these things not being in the UK.
Alex
Hello Alex! how do you get to download it from the iPlayer outside of the UK? I would love to watch it but I get "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only"

-
I thought it was brilliant. Am I glad we installed a new big LED HDTV on that very day! A wonderful effort by the Beeb (especially after their last less than riveting attempts with Paul Rose and Britain's Secret Seas).
-
Just....
.... wow!
It's not really fair to compare it to the low-budget productions: this is elite TV. It is astounding: more beautiful images in fifty minutes than a Moderator's slideshow!
The snow-covered trees at the edge of the taiga were amazing, and the orca were stunning but the scenes in the sea below Mt Erebus were sublime, indescribable, haunting...
Tim

-
Tim, which moderator has a 50 min slide show? That would be zzzzz
-
still waiting to find out to utilize iplayer outside the UK........
-
Richard you just need an IP in the UK. It's pretty easy. I do it with a Slingbox.
-
Ok is it me or was there a sophomore slump in "Spring"? Can't wait for summer and the hunting of minkes!
-
Thanks Drew
-
Don't forget to watch Freeze Frame, the behind the scenes program that comes after the main program.
One thing I just realized is that Sir David is 85 years old and traveling to the poles! I hope I'm that active at that age... IF I make it there!
You might not get "Freeze Frame" in the USA.
Discovery Channel who pay part of the production, have a 50 minutes slot plus commercials to make up the 60 minute [hour]
As BBC dont have Ad. breaks they decided to make up the hour by adding the "Making of"
David A. did actually go on most of the locations to shoot the links.
-
I watch it through Slingbox HDDVR. I like the making of sometimes more than the show itself.
-
Anyone catch Freeze Frame last night? Doug's encounter with those Orca makes me think twice about getting in the water with them in the Antarctic during feeding!
-
I watched the first one last night. Which I really enjoyed. Still trying to catch up on the rest of the series. Will connect my VPN later and download the latest too.
I wish the iPlayer had a more official way of doing this. I pay my BBC licence fee - but I travel a lot - and believe I should be allowed to watch the BBC when I am away - since I still pay for it, whether I am there or not.
Alex