Anyone catch Freeze Frame last night? Doug's encounter with those Orca make me think twice about getting in the water with them in the Antarctic during feeding!
Yeah, saw it last night. Looked like the orcas were trying to figure out how to get them out of the rib, the wave didn't work....wonder what their next tactic would have been.
Well to be fair,it was the juvies that tried it... they were practising! Note to self... not all juvies are cute and cuddly!
I watched the first one last night. Which I really enjoyed. Still trying to catch up on the rest of the series. Will connect my VPN later and download the latest too.
I wish the iPlayer had a more official way of doing this. I pay my BBC licence fee - but I travel a lot - and believe I should be allowed to watch the BBC when I am away - since I still pay for it, whether I am there or not.
Alex
Well Alex, IP blocking is the cheapest way of doing it. I'm sure you'd appreciate your tax dollars being efficiently used! IF they start having to deal with admin of accounts and what not, the bandwidth drain, not to mention the licensing rights issues would be seriously compromised. They already have to deal with torrents pirating. Discovery paid for part of it and won't broadcast for another few months. I can see why they do it in such a stupid way. I'm just lucky I have a slingbox in the UK, just for occasions like this. Also I think the owner of the home wants to get her "Only way is Essex" fix on the road. Sad!
I have not seen the Essex show - but I gather it is a fairly accurate portrayal of modern British culture! Actually, that is a scary thought.
I believe they should simply have a secure log-in to the iPlayer for licence fee holders abroad. The system could also be expanded to allow overseas people to pay the BBC licence fee and watch the BBC for a year. The cash strapped Beeb could then earn more than the Licence Fee x Number of British house-holds. They have been talking about an overseas iPlayer for ages.
Like you, I have a solution, but I think they are missing a trick and a potential income stream. Plus I would imagine the take-up would be quite low (mainly expat Brits) and so would not impact on overseas broadcast sales (which in most countries see programs re-dubbed anyway).
Alex
I've only seen it once for like 30 seconds when I accidentally hit that program instead of what I wanted to watch. A reality TV show from what I can see, apparently the British higher class Jersey Shore, or so I'm told!
Licensing agreements are really a pain, much more than one would think. Each cable/TV/broadcast company in each region has to buy the program from the BBC. Or it is licensed from BBC/Discovery for that region. To protect the regional licenses, they probably have keep this block up. The internet does complicate things.
Autumn was awesome.... and again the Freeze Frame was as cool if not cooler than the actual program. The Belugas sequence was magnificent as is the now "almost overdone" Emperor Penguins! They managed to do some new stuff that hasn't been covered by other docos or Happy Feet 1 or 2!
'twas an awesome programme'
Belugas were filmed by John Aitchinson I believe ... My freeze frame highlight was Didiers monster housing being used as an polecam!!! The rutting Musk Ox left me with a headache!
Dean
Australians get to see the programs a week earlier apparently. Ep.5 "Winter" apparently has been aired on GEM. That sucks compared to having the US broadcast, which will be one episode short!
Australians get to see the programs a week earlier apparently. Ep.5 "Winter" apparently has been aired on GEM. That sucks compared to having the US broadcast, which will be one episode short!
Finally got around to watching it.... what amazing cinematography, absolutely stunning.
Yeah, I've just watched the GEM broadcast of "the last frontier" which is number 6 I think. I have to admit that the BBC broadcast is so much nicer without ads! Every time that darn GEM ad break sequence comes up, it's always interrupting. Funny also you ozzies don't get the Freeze Frame BTS. I guess I'll just wait for the BBC HD version on Wed.
Just finished watching the latest episode - absolutely stunning again. Jaw dropping filming on land, from the air, underwater and underground. Fabulous.
So true, I will purchase the Blu Ray when it's released no adverts.
Man that wolf vs Bison fight in freeze frame was just GREAT!
The underwater sequences from last night's episode were utterly sublime. It's great to see the Beeb doing what it does best, rather than some of the very poor programmes that they have churned out over the last couple of years.
Yeah the brinicle sequence by Doug and Hugh was very unique and eye popping!
As I was channel flipping before Frozen Planet came on, I watched last bits of That's Britain! That wasn't so bad! LOL
I have to say I wasn't too pleased with the color grading on the Empies. Ruined some wonderful shots of the Empies in sun rays.
We're getting through it too - half way through autumn here. It is a great series, agree with Simon that this is what they should be spending their/our money on.
Alex
The underwater sequences from last night's episode were utterly sublime.
The whole series seems a labour of love: my family is getting fed up of the exclamations of amazement coming from the living room!
Tim
Every programme gets better and better... The Juve Bison/ Wolf sequence was both emotional and awe inspiring. I've heard peeps whining that it's a polar bear & Penguin show but this is not the case. They has prominent parts but that's all good and yes we have seen alot of the sequences before but who cares!!! Their all ace...
If you like your cold climate progs catch a glimpse of Nordic Wild on NatGeo wild HD and that looks amazing...
Dean
I certainly agree with you on that one Drew - I was gobsmacked by the bison/wolf sequence. Totally amazing.
I am downloading the Winter episode as I type! Heard everyone going on about the bison/wolf sequence (on here and elsewhere) really looking forward to watching it this evening.