Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

should i move to mac?

Started by kun1 ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

should i move to mac?

27 posts
  1. Yep I can point you in the right direction.

    The thing is you want a set up that's easy to restore in case of a problem especially when you are in the field, even if it does not boot due to some software problem.

    Does not really matter how bad you stuff up your software or operating system, you can always easily get it prefect again.

    Edited by wagsy
  2. kun1, how are the drives on your laptop going to be configured. When I last looked, you could get 3 hard drives into those big Dell Precision laptops. That had me thinking that I would have separate drives for OS/programs (a small fast C:\), "My documents" (D:\), and video/audio assets (1TB E:\), and avoid partitioning completely. But maybe you have to sacrifice something else in order to get the 3 HDDs in?

  3. kun1, how are the drives on your laptop going to be configured. When I last looked, you could get 3 hard drives into those big Dell Precision laptops. That had me thinking that I would have separate drives for OS/programs (a small fast C:\), "My documents" (D:\), and video/audio assets (1TB E:\), and avoid partitioning completely. But maybe you have to sacrifice something else in order to get the 3 HDDs in?

     

    Hi Nick,

     

    Unfortunately something had to giveway when i was customising the system, so i ended up with a small HDD. it cost me a hell of a lot of cash!! The great thing about this series of dell laptops is its very easy to get access to the parts to upgrade the system. When funds allow i will put a SSD in.

     

    I was just wondering if the link to the clip i sent you worked?

     

    I read your tutorial on colour correction and found it very usefull, thanks. Its been bookmarked!

  4. Buy your SSD drives from online venders. OCZ SATA 3 are fast and dropping in price.

  5. Hi Nick,

     

     

    I read your tutorial on colour correction and found it very usefull, thanks. Its been bookmarked!

     

    Hey Nick,

    I never read your tutorial. Where is it; would like to read your perspective.

    Steve

  6. @kun1 - Yes, I got the download link thanks. It's here in my things to do list.

     

    Also, kun1, did you get the 3 year Dell warranty? I really think it's worthwhile. BUT, if you change things like the SSD yourself, remember to put all the originals back if you ever need support, since I'm pretty sure that would void warranty. I had a bit of a moment with mine when the engineer came to swap out a RAM stick, since I had upgraded my HDD.

     

    @Steve - kun1 is referring to my article on how to conform levels for web video in Sony Vegas Pro. Other NLEs may even do this for you to some extent. I don't know. So it's not really a CC tutorial at all, and indeed it's not really how I now work, since I do just about everything with color curves. However it's worth reading if you're not up to speed with the issue of how footage outside of 16-235 will get clipped at web playback.

  7. Nick, there isn't true in the US. Dell (or any other manufacturer) cannot void the warranty if you change the HDD etc unless you damaged the computer during installation. Now if you try to say change the processor on the motherboard, then that's different. Components that can be interchanged like HDD and RAM, they can't void the warranty UNLESS it's not spec.

    I'm pretty sure it's like that everywhere in the world. Apple replaced my motherboard in Thailand ever though I had replaced my DVD with a HDD and my RAM as well.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.