Jean, Jean, Jean,
This is the second time you have questioned my relationship with Ryan and Reef Photo Video on Wetpixel. I am not sure why you seem to take my comments on this forum so personally.
My comment regarding support for site members had nothing to do with Aquatica and was directed at those who tend to always reference B&H as the end all for photo equipment. B&H is a fine company but it seems that supporting your local dealer is better for the Underwater photography community in general.
I have made no secret about the fact that I am a retired West Palm Beach Police Officer with an extensive background (thirty years) as a public safety diver. My interest in underwater photography has spanned over forty-five years now so I make no bones about the fact that I have payed my dues. I have also been on the board of directors for South Florida Underwater Photography Society for nineteen years to date where my relationship with Reef Photo began when they moved to the Ft. Lauderdale Florida area several years ago. Several of Reefs staff are also photo club members and Reef has allowed SFUPS to use the store to teach club workshops. I fact Reef’s own Shen Collazo was just awarded our 2011 Photographer of the year trophy, great job Shen. My rather dated bio can be found on the sfups.org site for those concerned.
My first U/W camera was a Nikonos II, my first housed camera was a Canon AE with with a macro lens in a Tussey housing, followed by two Aquatica housings for Nikon F-3’s and then fifteen years with Nikonos RS equipment. During that time I tried a lot of other systems but remained with the RS until going to digital. It is also no secret that I have been a big fan of the Olympus 43'd s cameras starting with an Olympus E-1 that I used for crime scene photography on the job.
I now have been able to use the knowledge I have gained over the years to teach workshops for Hasselblad, Mexican Diver, US Dive Shows, SFUPS and others. I have also been a contributor for Underwater Photography magazine, Mexican Diver, Underwater Journal, Dive Chronicles, popular science, assorted dive publications and others.
To this end Inon, Olympus, Reef Photo and others have helped with equipment and tech support. I can not afford to buy every piece of equipment I review nor do the other equipment reviewers we see around the world.
I also make no bones about the fact that I have worked at the Inon stand in the Reef Photo display for the 2010 and 2011 DEMA shows. So what, it is good business for Reef because they are short on staff to cover both the show and the store during DEMA. I am fairly well known in the photo and public safety diving community and have been an Inon user for near thirty years so I know the equipment quite well. The fact is that none of this has anything to do with my product reviews. I choose the equipment I wish to review baised on what is offered to me. The last time you questioned my relationship with Ryan and Reef Photo I offered to review an Aquatica piece of equipment. This offer was again extended to Aquatica at DEMA 2011 and rejected. I have nothing to do with the fact that Reef Photo does not sell Aquatica but if they did I would have ask to review one of your housings . I believe they are quite well made and I was very happy with the two I owned for the Nikon f-3’s. Those I know who own your equipment are also quite happy with the products.
In closing I am not sure what it is you want me to “sign up” for. I am quite sure I have the respect of my peers and the residents of Palm Beach county community for my service as a Police Officer who worked on the street until the day I retired.
Phil Rudin