Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Little micro strobe batch!

Started by owfotograaf ·

  • 103Posts
  • 103Replies

Read-only discussion

Little micro strobe batch!

103 posts
  1. Ah, got it! No, no mirrors. The plastic fibre is just bent. It is possible, compare with the radius of the coiled fibre. I think S&S just made these strobes a little too insensitive

     

    Maybe they use mirrors in the grey 90° part, to make the short turn ???????
  2. There was a problem with shutter masking with the trigger at sync speeds well below at 1/100 on 3 "led outputs". This is now solved.

    Also the mirror problem has been solved by a user, just aim the led straight up and not trough the mirror in the Nauticam housings.

    Hedwig.

  3. There was a problem with shutter masking with the trigger at sync speeds well below at 1/100 on 3 "led outputs". This is now solved.

    Also the mirror problem has been solved by a user, just aim the led straight up and not trough the mirror in the Nauticam housings.

    Hedwig.

     

    I got it to work in my NA-D7000 with S&S 250's using the aiming below:

     

    i-zRVS2Sp-S.jpg

  4. Does anyone know whether this will fit in an Aquatica 5dmk3 housing?

  5. Working on a second batch of led-strobes. :)

  6. Do you still have any available? I'm thinking of housing my Canon 5D Mk. III in a Nauticam but was hesitant about going back to electrical sync cables. I'm currently using a Canon 7D also in a Nauticam with fiber optic connections and much prefer this to sync cables.

     

    Btw I got 2 Triggerfishes from you last year and they worked really great in the caves in the Yucatan earlier this year. Thanks for a great product!

  7. To all the experts & 5D Mk. III users out there, what do you use to trigger your strobes? I'm particularly interested in solutions to use Sea & Sea YS-D1s or YS-110 alphas with the 5D Mk. III in a Nauticam housing. Apart from using electrical sync cables with only manual control possible, is there any solution for TTL?

     

    Also is TTL control possible with the strobes above on a fiber-optic connection? On my 7D, TTL works very well with the built-in flash. Since the 5D does not have a built-in flash, is there any TTL converter or adaptor in the market that will work with fiber-optic connections?

     

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

  8. Presently, all third party fibre optic strobe triggers will only work as manual triggers. Of course, if the Canon flash protocol were included in such a device, so that an E -TTL output is replicated, it should be possible to use S -TTL with, for example, a 5D3 and INON Z -240s. I expect it won't be too long before a company like Nauticam pulls that rabbit out of the hat!

  9. Yes I'm hoping that since Nauticam has put fiber-optic connectors on their 5D Mk. III (knowing full well that the camera does not have a built-in flash) that they are indeed working on a TTL solution. From my own experience in UW photography I've found that TTL strobe output does make it much easier for macro subjects and as I dive mostly in the tropics (Manado & Lembeh, Indonesia being one of my favourite spots with its amazing 'macro' critters), I'm particularly interested in a TTL solution. However I've also read that the Canon flash protocol is notoriously difficult to crack. But I'm hoping Nauticam works it out and 'pulls the rabbit out of the hat'!

     

    In the meantime, looks like it'll have to be full manual control with Hedwig's 'little micro strobe' for now if I want to continue with fiber-optic connectors...

  10. There have been a number of Canon flash converters available (Ike, Heinrich's, S&S etc.) so I don't think that is the problem. The problem will be to emulate the electrical signals and turn them into an optical signal. Notoriously hard to do with LED output (quenching them for low power is tough) but I remain hopeful.

    Bill

  11. Thanks Bill, for your comment. I see what you're saying.

     

    From Wetpixel's coverage of Photokina 2012, it looks like Nauticam is indeed working on an adaptor. See quote below. I'm hoping it will be a TTL-adaptor and that they're able to get it out to market soon. That should make for an elegant solution for their 5D3 housing.

     

    "Edward mentioned that he is working on an adaptor that will allow the use of fiber optic triggering with cameras that don't have a built-in flash, or for cameras that do, but the recycle times are an impediment."

  12. Thanks Bill, for your comment. I see what you're saying.

     

    From Wetpixel's coverage of Photokina 2012, it looks like Nauticam is indeed working on an adaptor. See quote below. I'm hoping it will be a TTL-adaptor and that they're able to get it out to market soon. That should make for an elegant solution for their 5D3 housing.

     

    "Edward mentioned that he is working on an adaptor that will allow the use of fiber optic triggering with cameras that don't have a built-in flash, or for cameras that do, but the recycle times are an impediment."

    I would love one even if it were manual. I have one of Hedwig's boards it works great for my Inon Strobes but miserably for my S&S strobes in a Nauticam housing. I am sure that some smart EE could figure out how to make an LED mimic the ETTL (Matthias did it electrically) but I certainly am not that guy (just a poor chemist)

    Bill

  13. The problem with the Sea&Sea strobes and the MLS is the sensors location. It is not located right in the middle of the sensors hole so the fiber is not in line. So there is a lot of light needed to lighten the sensor and the leds are not bright enough to do this.The Inon strobes do not have this problem, the sensor is located right in the middel of the hole. I have no solution for this problem. sad.png

     

    Other usersand i have tryed with white leds, but with no results. So the wavelenght of the light has nothing to do with the problem.

     

    Hedwig.

    Edited by owfotograaf
  14. Is there anyone out there that can tell me if this would fit inside an Aquatica housing built for my 5D MII and if there is a fiber optic arrangement that would allow me to fire my S&S 110 alpha's? I would like to get rid of the TTL converter from S&S and go with a fiber optic arrangement. Thus one/both of the strobe port(s) and associated wiring would have to be changed out to work with this trigger and the 110 alpha's.

     

    Stephen

  15. I believe (but Jean can confirm) that there should be a way to get a fiber optic coupled to the housing with a custom bulkhead. If so, the board should almost certainly fit since it is no thicker than the hot shoe connector. The trick will be to get good enough alignment to trigger the 110 alphas. On my system I can get them to fire about a third of the time.

    Bill

  16. Chances are a custom bulkhead isn't needed as Aquatica already has the optical bulkhead, the only issue is that the triggering of the 110a's isn't a sure thing with the Micro LED. I've tried it with a 7D in the Aquatica Housing, using the on camera flash at 1/128th power, I can trigger my YS-D1's no problem, but using the MicroLED with the LED's pointing straight up into the bulkhead's window won't trigger the strobes.

     

    S.

  17. I have used a Zillion's Led solution for many years now, works perfect with my Inons and 5D Mk2 in Aquatica housing . I use a normal Nikon bulkhead that I have drilled out for the Hugyfot Acrylic optical adapter.

  18. Hello,

     

    those Triggers works also with the Sony A99?

     

    regards

     

    Joki

  19. The first batch is sold and .... i am not gone make a new batch.

    Because there are housing brands and types where they don't fit in and it is not easy to aim the leds into the fibers.

    Also the Sea&Sea strobes sensor is not always in the middle off the fiber ... resulting in not enough light for the strobe to trigger.

     

    greets, Hedwig.

  20. Hi Hedwig, its an interesting point that you have made about the S&S strobes. Have you found this to be a problem with the YS-250 Pro? I believe I am correct that the only S&S strobes which has worked with any micro strobe trigger is the YS-1D. It would be interesting to start a discussion to find a solution or work-around.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.