Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Little micro strobe batch!

Started by owfotograaf ·

  • 103Posts
  • 103Replies

Read-only discussion

Little micro strobe batch!

103 posts
  1. post-25546-0-50894800-1372100359_thumb.jpgpost-25546-0-12238900-1372100379_thumb.jpg

  2. Thanks for sharing the pics, Pete!

     

    What is the benefit of Hedvig's design vs the simple MOSFET version?

    (Is there a circuit published somewhere? single LED would be fine for me...)

    Only thing I can think of if the LED may not shut off in time and force the

    strobes to keep firing...

     

    First I'll try replicating rtrski's design with an IR LED and some beefier batteries.

     

    Tamas970

     

    Sorry for the delay in replying - been away for a few days.

     

    The example of Hedwig's unit that I have seen was nice - much more sophisticated than the MOSFET version. I did make it work by firing the LED directly into the fibre optic bulkhead connector, but did not fit it to the camera as it mounts on the hot shoe....and mine is already used by the camera pressure lead detector.

     

    The MOSFET circuit I am using has 2 x 12V LR23 batteries in parallel, with the 4 high power LEDs mounted in series. Hedwig uses 2 CR button cells of 3V each, and his LEDs appear to be in parallel.

     

    Herewith pictures of my version. One shows the batteries and circuitry mounted under the camera tray, the other shows the hot shoe connector with the wiring break for the flash, and you can see the 4 LEDs mounted on a board directly under the bulkhead connector. Units are connected with computer plugs. Wiring is rather untidy - I will make another one when I have a minute and tidy things up.

     

    Pete

     

     

     

     

     



    Ah, the photos failed. I will try again.

    Edited by tamas970
  3. Tamas970

     

    You probably ought to ask Hedwig about the features of his design. As far as I can see, the flash comes when the switch (ie camera hot shoe) is broken rather than when it is made, but this happens so quickly there is no problem. The LEDs are also mounted in terminal blocks and are in parallel, so you can use more (or less) and adapt them easily.

     

    The circuit I have used is the same as rtrski's instructions, though I didn't get it from him. I've just used veroboard, rather than try to etch a circuit board. It also just produces a single short pulse as the hot shoe circuit is made, so there is no problem with making the strobes continue firing.

     

    Pete

  4. How much banding do you get at 1/320 and 1/400?

  5. The D90 will only sync up to 1/200 with a non-Nikon flash, though it will sync at faster speeds with a proper Nik flash. Can't afford one of them....in an underwater housing as well!

     

    At 1/400th, the shutter is covering perhaps 10% at the bottom of the image. 1/320th, it will be less but still visible at 1/250th.

     

    Pete

  6. My E-PL5 is similar or somewhat better. Stock fastest sync is 1/250 and using a non-communicating flash 1/320 is clear, 1/400 gives <10% loss with my inons, which is not necessarily a concern underwater. (I might even risk 1/500 with 40% loss in certain scenarios)

     

    What kind of LEDs are you using? I am planning to order a couple white ones just in case the infared wouldn't work.

  7. Is anyone still making these? I would love to get my hands on one!

  8. me too!!

  9. Me too.

  10. I have them in stock but reading this topic first is a must before contacting me.

    grts, Hedwig.

  11. Hi,

     

    Did some one use it with a Canon 600D into a Sea&Sea RDX-600D ? Did i have some modification to integrate it ?

     

    I have a Sea&Sea flash YS27-DX .... will i have troubles...

     

    Best regards

    Edited by 006fazer
  12. i have tested Hedwig's "hobby" project ... it works perfect with the INON Z270 type 4.

  13. Any idea if these would work with the nauticam d800 and YS-d1 strobes?

  14. I believe some have tried and failed to get reliable operation with the YS-D1's

  15. In the Nauticam 7D housing I can get the YS-D1 to fire about half the time. The issue is twofold. First the strobe trigger sensor in the S&S strobes is not very sensitive compared to the Inons. Secondly, I think the sensor in the D1 is not perfectly concentric with where the fiber attaches since if I put the fiber nearer the edge it sometimes works better.

    Bill

  16. Hi,

    i 'm not gone make new MLS anymore.
    There are housing brands and types where they don't fit in and it is not easy to aim the leds into the fibers.
    Also the Sea&Sea strobes sensor is not always in the middle off the fiber ... resulting in not enough light for the strobe to trigger.

    greets, Hedwig.

  17. I still have 7 pcb's left ..... so i have decided to assemble them because there is still a demand after the MLS.

    Edited by owfotograaf
  18. Measurements of the MLS.

     

    post-11074-0-29036800-1392757856_thumb.jpg

  19. Hi. I receive one mls yesterday. And it doesn't work with my seasea ys27dx :-( . I know that it shouldn't work... Did some one test With led whit or more powered ? Or change the light sensor in the flash ?

     

    Edit : it work with changing settings on the strobe :-) use first light and not preflash...

     

    "Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 5 avec Tapatalk"

    Edited by 006fazer
  20. Hi

     

    My MLS is mount in my seasea housing... Just add a little PCB to mount LEDs.

     

    I'll make a good cut of each optic fiber. It seems the strobe are sensible...

     

    post-42813-13937728964697.jpgpost-42813-13937729065788.jpg

     

    By ;-)

     

    "Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 5 avec Tapatalk"

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.