Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which mirrorless system for UW..e-pl3 vs gf2 vs sony nex-5n?

Started by cheetohcat ·

  • 55Posts
  • 55Replies

Read-only discussion

Which mirrorless system for UW..e-pl3 vs gf2 vs sony nex-5n?

55 posts
  1. Thanks Stewart. That is great.

     

    Last year I went to the scuba show in long beach, and went to all the uw photo manufacturers, and vendors including reef and backscatter. At the time, they could not get the nex 5 to change apertures, in the housings they had. I think mostly nauticam.

     

    Sounds like that has been resolved, I hope.

     

    Marcell ,to claim that a little dial around the menu button, is the same ergonomics as an SLR with 2 lateral thumb wheels is not true in my experience.

     

    The lack of native lenses for the nex system that support AF is still a big problem for underwater.

     

    I also played extensively, and even bought an oly epl2. I kept it for 1 month, and then returned it before time was up. Yes, you could use it in M mode, but clicking through the values takes too much time, compared to turning a thumb wheel.

     

    Don

  2. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned the GH2. With the hack, it is pretty much universally agreed to have the best video of any camera priced under $10K, and takes decent pictures too. The only thing keeping me from buying this camera is the rumor of the GH3 coming out soon. I have a trip in April, and I'll likely wait until the last minute to upgrade.

     

    I must admit that the NEX-7 seems to also be a very nice camera. I guess I would go for the NEX-7 if photo were my priority, but would go with the GH2 if video were my priority.

     

    I agree with the lack of lenses for the NEX-7, but realistically you only need 2 underwater: a good wide angle, and a macro.

     

    --Mark

    I agree, and the wide angle is probably covered. There is no good macro though that I know about. Of course "it is coming" but who knows when.

    Bill

  3. The NEX5n is basically the D7000 stuffed into a smaller body. It's probably the most interesting of the 3 on your list. Eric and I talked about it and he likes the system. I like that there are adapters out for Canon so I can use my legacy lenses, although that will be a challenge for housings. The menu system is a bit confusing but I think that's par for course for Sony. Image quality wise, I think it's up there with the best.

     

    Lens system is limited but given the fisheye, medium and macro rule, the lenses available do fit the requirements.

    Which macro? I have the 30 macro lens and it focuses so close to the end of the port that lighting is nearly impossible. Image quality is quite good but the best you can get and lit is probably 1:2 and of course diopters on that lens are not terribly useful.

    Bill

  4. Thanks for all the great info everyone has been sharing here! So I took the plunge! Stopped by Bluewater here in LA to check out the options, and decided to get the Sony nex 5n with the kit lens, 16MM pancake and the fisheye. Still debating on if it's worth it to get the 30MM macro or wait a bit. I went for the Recsea housing and ports as well. The EPL 3 and Pan also seemed liked great cameras, but I preferred the Sony camera and housing combo best overall.

     

    I think my biggest surprise was that the camera + housing aren't that much larger than my S90 set up. I was worried about that in moving up from compacts, but here are some photos for reference with my tray etc so you can gauge relative size.

     

     

    IMG_3752.JPG

     

    IMG_3754.JPG

     

    IMG_3755.JPG

     

    IMG_3757.JPG

     

    IMG_3758.JPG

     

     

    I'm dying to get this into the water..I drove down to San Diego yesterday to dive the Yukon and Ruby E, but we were met with ~5ft viz, and had to call the 2nd dive! Majorly disappointing. :) Working on some dive time for this coming Saturday so I'll report back on how it goes.

  5. Thanks for all the great info everyone has been sharing here! So I took the plunge! Stopped by Bluewater here in LA to check out the options, and decided to get the Sony nex 5n with the kit lens, 16MM pancake and the fisheye. Still debating on if it's worth it to get the 30MM macro or wait a bit. I went for the Recsea housing and ports as well. The EPL 3 and Pan also seemed liked great cameras, but I preferred the Sony camera and housing combo best overall.

     

    Working on some dive time for this coming Saturday so I'll report back on how it goes.

    Really a sweet lookin' rig. For macro, I would prefer 60 to 90 mm lens. Longer working distance for 1:1. The Sony NEX system is open for 3rd party lenses. Surely someone will make a reasonable focal length macro for the e-mount, but what do you use until then? Please do share your experience.

    Bob

  6. Gorgeous! How much did the cam and housing set you back?

  7. Looking good, will be interested to hear how you get on with it

  8. Really a sweet lookin' rig. For macro, I would prefer 60 to 90 mm lens. Longer working distance for 1:1. The Sony NEX system is open for 3rd party lenses. Surely someone will make a reasonable focal length macro for the e-mount, but what do you use until then? Please do share your experience.

    Bob

    Well they have been promising us lenses for a couple of years now. I have shot a bunch with the 30 and once you figure out the lighting (like strobes pointing inward a bit) it is pretty nice.

    Bill

  9. Well they have been promising us lenses for a couple of years now. I have shot a bunch with the 30 and once you figure out the lighting (like strobes pointing inward a bit) it is pretty nice.

    Bill

     

    Hi Bill

     

    Are you shooting with the Subsea diopters? What's your working distance with the 30 and the +5 & +10 respectively.

     

    This is my ... wife's ;-) setup...

     

    AN-5_WideAngle1.jpg

     

    Stu

    Edited by Stewart L. Sy
  10. Stewart, I like "your wife's" set up. I'm sure she doesn't mind if you borrow it. :)

     

    Bill, sounds like I might need to get the 30 MM after all... Are you able to use a ring flash at all with the focus distance so short? I know I ran into that problem with my s90 and 2x Inon macro lenses where the focus was too close for the flash, so I'd just get a dark spot where the subject was (but the area around it was beautifully lit!)

     

    derway, the camera body + 18-55 lens is $699, 16MM $220, fisheye $120, so approx $1040. The 30MM lens is another~$250. Not sure how things are in your area, but I had a hard time finding any place with the camera in stock - seems to be backordered at all electronic and camera stores. I ended up snagging it all from Amazon finally, and extra batteries and a spare charger as well. The Recsea housing was similar to Nauticam at $1625 base - plus the ports based on your lenses.

     

    I am hoping to dive Saturday (assuming i can find an open boat) so I'll report back on how that goes.

     

     

     

    ]

     

    This is my ... wife's ;-) setup...

     

    AN-5_WideAngle1.jpg

     

    Stu

  11. Regarding the Sony E-mount 30mm macro it has very nice image quality for a $250.00 macro lens but I think that people are expecting it be somthing which is not. This lens has about a 50 degree angle of view and at 1:1 (life size or the size of the APS-C sensor) it needs to focus to 3.75 inches. That number is and has always been measured from the sensor/film plane, so when you add the length of the lens at 1:1 you are about an inch from the lens glass. While this may work well using a tri-pod or rail for photographing stamps or coins it does not translate well for underwater work. The lens is in fact about the same AOV as using a 50mm macro on a 35mm (film/sensor) camera. Most of the old 50mm lenses only went to 1:2 (twice life size) for this very reason. If the lens is used for what it is suited for I think it works very well underwater and has better image quality than the "kit" lens which comes with the camera. From about three inches to two feet is the range I would be shooting in and with a 50 degree AOV this covers a lot of subjects. Adding any close-up lens will only make the 30 macro harder to use because you can't get to 1:1 well as is and the close-up lens requires you to get even closer. I am quite sure that Sony is well aware of the gaps in their lens line and will be coming out with more lenses than they had intended. I also see lenses coming from every third party lens maker for both M43 and NEX designs. If you can't live without super macro I am sure that someone will come out with a macro port to support Lens adapters and DSLR lenses using manual focus.

     

    I have used the Athena ring flash with the 30 macro but again you will need to backup to about three inches for it to work well. Shooting from an inch away can be done but it will limit your subject matter and could result in damage to the subject.

     

    Phil Rudin

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  12. Stewart, I like "your wife's" set up. I'm sure she doesn't mind if you borrow it. :)

     

    Hi Cheetohcat,

     

    Depends if she's using the camera topside or not. :) In my case, it's also a viable backup system to my full DSLR setup. It's amazingly easy to use. You'll love it.

     

    S.

  13. Phil,

     

    I fully agree - a longer macro lens (~ 60mm) is what I am waiting for before I buy a NEX7. What I really cannot understand: Tamron and Sigma presented e-mount lenses: A 18-200mm from Tamron, which competes with the 18-200mm from Sony, and a 30mm macro from Sigma, which competes with the 30mm macro from Sony... PLAIN STUPID!!!!

     

    Joerg

  14. Hi Jock,

     

    The Sigma 30mm F/2.8 for NEX is NOT a macro lens. It will focus to about 30cm and only gets to about 1:8. Still nice to see that the NEX market is beginning to open up. Rokinon also has a new 8mm fisheye coming for NEX in the next month or two but it is all manual.

     

    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/30mm-f28-ex...nk=jan_m_1_cta2

     

    Phil Rudin

  15. Hi Jock,

     

    The Sigma 30mm F/2.8 for NEX is NOT a macro lens. It will focus to about 30cm and only gets to about 1:8. Still nice to see that the NEX market is beginning to open up. Rokinon also has a new 8mm fisheye coming for NEX in the next month or two but it is all manual.

     

    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/30mm-f28-ex...nk=jan_m_1_cta2

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    Phil Do you happen to know if the underside of the Nauticam NEX 5 and NEX7 are the same? Are the holes the same size and distance apart? Trying to source a plate to convert my INON baseplate. Wonderign if this will work on the NEX7?

     

    http://www.divervision.com/catalog/tray-ad...u49gg2d5vcvvp42

  16. Hello Aliens,

     

    The two housings are different on the underside and the NEX-5/5n grip from Nauticam is a bit small. The Nauticam flexitray for compact housings with one or two grips does work on the NA-NEX-7 housing and has the great Nauticam grips. The Inon holder II grip set also works with the NEX-7 housing.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=5385

     

    http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=4957

     

    http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_p...der+ii+grip+set

  17. Hi Jock,

     

    The Sigma 30mm F/2.8 for NEX is NOT a macro lens. ...

     

    Phil,

     

    thanks for pointing this out. I didn't bother to read the Sigma announcement any further after I read "30mm".

     

    I had the opprtunity to use the fisheye converter with the 16mm pancake on the NEX5 last summer. Results were okay for me, so I am not particularly interested in the Rokinon.

     

    Greetings

    Joerg

  18. Phil,

     

    I fully agree - a longer macro lens (~ 60mm) is what I am waiting for before I buy a NEX7. What I really cannot understand: Tamron and Sigma presented e-mount lenses: A 18-200mm from Tamron, which competes with the 18-200mm from Sony, and a 30mm macro from Sigma, which competes with the 30mm macro from Sony... PLAIN STUPID!!!!

     

    Joerg

    I am wondering if the Sony LA-EA2 A-mount to E-mount adapter (78..5 x 86.5 x 44 mm) will fit in any of the housings/ports. Sony makes a 50mm and 100mm macro lens(1:1). Likely no way to get a focus gear over the adapter, so unless a control is added to the port its AF only.

    Bob

  19. Hi Joerg,

     

    The LA-EA1 is already being used with the Sony A-mount 50mm and 100mm macro in the Acquapazza housing for the NEX-5.

     

    They have designed ports that use the Inon magnetic focus gear and focus ring system to move focus.

     

    http://www.acquapazza.jp/en/product/apso-nex5/index.html

     

    Phil Rudin

  20. Hi Joerg,

     

    The LA-EA1 is already being used with the Sony A-mount 50mm and 100mm macro in the Acquapazza housing for the NEX-5.

     

    They have designed ports that use the Inon magnetic focus gear and focus ring system to move focus.

     

    http://www.acquapazza.jp/en/product/apso-nex5/index.html

     

    Phil Rudin

    Oooh, you get colors!

    Phil, Thanks for the link. Certainly do-able. Appears to be AF only.

    Bob

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.