Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

SOPA

Started by loftus ·

  • 89Posts
  • 89Replies

Read-only discussion

SOPA

89 posts
  1. deco, I think there is a place for both. I have totally switched to ebooks when it comes to novels.

     

    Quite possibly...but when the creator says:-

     

    "No, not interested in digital distribution for my work...if anyone wants to see it they can buy a book and I don't care about any lost digital sales..."

     

    And a reader/viewer, who sees access to content as a right says "But I want a digital edition..."

     

    Its not too hard to witness this very conflict when some in europe want access to US television shows at time of publication, are not prepared to wait for legitimate release and will download pirate versions to get what they want...

     

    Do consumers have the same rights as the creator? In this new world are creators expected to submit to the will of the masses, even if they don't want to?

  2. Deco, you and others misunderstand my position. I can understand that perfectly, but just saying. Im not for the terrorists.

     

    One out of many reasons people download stuff they didnt buy is access problems. These access problems have very little to do with distributors not wanting to release things in europe (or asia, or africa, or...). These problems exist because of entrenched, archaic models. Even Drew admits to that.

     

    A symptom of that problem is that people go look for it in other ways. Is that good? No. Read back all of my postings and tell me where I said it was good. (I double dare you :( People just assume because it seems like im defending it. Im not defending illegal downloading (with the nuance that in some countries it's not even illegal), im taking the position that the industry is not going to solve the SYMPTOMS with draconian laws like SOPA, PIPA, ACTA and others. Drew can think otherwise but these laws will be severely abused for things we cant even think of now, just like DMCA has been and still is.

     

    In my opinion they should attack the root of the problem, innovate, change their models, and find ways so people wont go look elsewhere. Will that cover everyone? Of course not! But it will cover that ones that want and will pay, which are the only ones that matter to the bottom line! This is not just my opinion, but an opinion shared by many. You can say 'they shouldnt have to', but how exactly is that solving anything? You think pirates care? Im looking to solve this matter just as much as you or drew are, the method is just different. And I think models like steam are showing that innovation can work great for everyone.

     

    But seriously, we're not going to agree :( Im removing myself from this thread, but feel free to message me if anyone wants to discuss it more.

  3. Cor don't go! :(

    I think this discussion is great because it allows for different perspectives to be brought up. I greatly appreciate that you weighed in on this issue. That's the point of having a discussion, to get different POVs. I have no wish to change your mind. The facts are out there and unlike well-defined truths like gravity, the solutions aren't egalitarian. None of the suggested solutions will be collateral damage free for everyone.

    I am also against SOPA/PIPA as is now and esp against ACTA because of the lack of transparency and due process, but I'm openly for better enforcement of IP rights. There's also no denying piracy is also here to stay on the internet due to ease of access.

    Similarly the revenue system of the industry will take a long time to change since much of the revenue generation is based on the older system. Otherwise, all entertainment will be more like Chronicle and Paranormal Activity 1-x and less about visual feasts like Oceans etc.

    Rhetoric is what it is, designed to garner sympathy to the cause by whatever means. There are people who equate pirates to economic terrorists, and I know there are pro-piracy types who call the other side the SS or Gestapo. Like the most old skool layperson writer that works in Hollywood wrote: "you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." I think this is considered fair use! :(

  4. Well I wonder how they are going to go about stopping Tribler :-)

    It allows users to share files directly from computer to computer and not through some website on a server, impossible to stop unless you turn off the internet. Real time scanning all types of files travelling through the ISP would be impossible.

     

    I must add that if SOPA was in place, wetpixel site could be taken down for my post about Tribler. lol

    Edited by wagsy
  5. I must add that if SOPA was in place, wetpixel site could be taken down for my post about Tribler. lol

     

    Edit your post. NOW!!! :lol:

  6. Well I wonder how they are going to go about stopping Tribler :-)

    It allows users to share files directly from computer to computer and not through some website on a server, impossible to stop unless you turn off the internet. Real time scanning all types of files travelling through the ISP would be impossible.

     

    I must add that if SOPA was in place, wetpixel site could be taken down for my post about Tribler. lol

     

    That would be certainly be an interesting way of enforcing the law, which is why SOPA hasn't be passed. But Wags, as Matt pointed out to me, DPI baby!

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection

     

    Kicking down a few schoolboy's doors didn't do any PR favors though! LOL

    Edited by Drew
  7. Deco, you and others misunderstand my position. I can understand that perfectly, but just saying. Im not for the terrorists.

     

    Misunderstand? Not at all...we (or at least I do) realise the world has changed and using archaic or outdated technology in a different world might not work, and content creators who want to exploit digital opportunities need to change.

     

    One out of many reasons people download stuff they didnt buy is access problems. These access problems have very little to do with distributors not wanting to release things in europe (or asia, or africa, or...). These problems exist because of entrenched, archaic models. Even Drew admits to that.

     

    My point, highlighted in the digital book example, is that creators should set the rate and decide how their work is used. I have a large collection of military images, some of which may well NEVER be published in any form, let alone paper. Its my choice. Just because something like music or images exist does not automatically give consumers the right to access it in a way of their choosing....but many seem to expect everything in every way possible...and if they can't get instant (or thereabouts) gratification will then resort to other means.

     

    The right to say 'No, not at any price' is not an archaic business model. Its the creators right and one that the courts here in the UK at least have consistently upheld. Sometimes its not all about being paid.

    Edited by decosnapper
  8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection

     

    Kicking down a few schoolboy's doors didn't do any PR favors though! LOL

     

    Hey Drew, wonder how DPI would go if the files were password zipped up or encrypted or bits of the flies were being pulled form many computers at the same time.

    Edited by wagsy
  9. Ummm I guess Cor would be able to tell use how much of an impact DPI ior any other method would impact monitoring. P2P or whatever will work so long as there is a source for piracted stuff.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.