Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Beneath The Sea Photo Competition Winners

Started by rschrager ·

  • 61Posts
  • 61Replies

Read-only discussion

Beneath The Sea Photo Competition Winners

61 posts
  1. Beneath The Sea Photo Competition Winners

    BENEATH THE SEA WORLDWIDE UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY/VIDEO COMPETITION

     

    The Best in Show-Underwater Photography receives the David Doubilet Award for Excellence in Underwater Photography and a live-aboard trip aboard Mike Ball Expedition’s Paradise Sport, diving Papua New Guinea or on the Spoil Sport, diving the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. This year’s winner is Katherine Smith of Houma, Louisiana. Her slide is titled: “Daddy Cardinal.”

     

    The Best in Show-Video receives the Stan Waterman Award for Excellence in Underwater Videography and a live-aboard trip on a Nekton Diving Cruises vessel in the Bahamas or Belize. This year’s winner is Mary Anne Pedoto of Hamilton, Ohio. Her video is titled: “Analyzing Anilao.”

     

    The Best in Show-Digital Photography receives the Jim Church Award for Excellence in Digital Photography and a live-aboard trip on the Kona Aggressor.

    This year’s winner is Mark Snyder of Astoria, New York. His image is titled: “Goby and Wire Coral.”

     

    Beneath The Sea would like to thank this year’s judging panel.

    They were: David Doubilet, Charles Glatzer, Maria Hults, Josef Koppelman, Bob

    Ricke and Herb Segars.

     

    2004 COMPETITION WINNERS:

     

    Video:

    1st place: Charlie Oldfield Nottingham, England “The Shrimp and the Goby”

    2nd place: Walter Marti Santa Ana, California “Do Lunch”

     

    General Category:

    1st place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “Untitled, Red Sea”

    2nd place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “ Untitled, Red Sea”

    3rd place: Viora Alessio Borgomanero, Italy “Rush Hour”

     

    Marine Life Category:

    1st place: Rudy Whitworth Belleville, Michigan “Grace Underwater”

    2nd place: Viora Alessio Borgomanero, Italy “The Queen”

    3rd place: Rudy Whitworth Belleville, Michigan “Lizard Dinner”

    Honorable Mention: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “Goby”

     

    Macro Category:

    1st place: Viora Alessio Borgomanero, Italy “Fische”

    2nd place: Rudy Whitworth Belleville, Michigan “Valley of Death”

    3rd place: Linda Cline Forest Grove, Oregon “Beholden”

     

     

    Close up Category :

    1st place Leslie Richter Mill Valley, California “Aluring”

    2nd place: Ruth Mary Chofre Foster City, California “Be All That You Can Be”

    3rd place: Vassallo Pasquale Naples, Italy “The Queen”

     

    Cold Water Category:

    1st place: George Tillack Lakewood, California “Peek-a-Boo”

    2nd place: Glenn Ostle Charlotte, North Carolina “Mugsy”

    3rd place: Dave Nesheim Rancho Palos Verde, California “Laying Eggs”

     

    Cold Water Shipwrecks:

    No qualifying entries this year

     

    Warm Water Shipwrecks:

    1st place: Steven Gold Glenview, Illinois “Peaceful Arms”

    2nd place: Ernst Seeling Vienna, Austria “The Windjammer”

    3rd place: Mike North Wilsonville, Oregon “Dawn on the Doc”

     

    Digital Category (Open)

    1st place: Ralph Oberlander Dover, New Hampshire “Seahorse”

    2nd place: Herb Ko Mountainview, California “Stargazer”

    3rd place: Eric Cheng San Francisco, California “Turtle”

    Honorable Mention: Dick Hull Manchester, Maryland “Splendid Toadfish”

     

    Digital Creative

    1st place: Ernst Seeling Vienna, Austria “Adventure in the Red Sea”

    2nd place: Karen Sweeney Bokeelia, Florida “After Midnight”

    3rd place: Greg Sweeney Bokeelia, Florida “ Sea Puzzle”

    Honorable Mention: Andy Heath Hampshire, England “Emperor Desat”

     

    The winners of the Beneath the Sea 2004 Worldwide Photo/Video

    Competition will be shown at the Film Festival during the weekend of Beneath the Sea's Dive and Travel Exposition, March 26th, 27th, and 28th , 2004, at the Meadowlands Exposition Center in Secaucus, New Jersey.

     

     

    BENEATH THE SEA would like to thank the companies that supported this competition:

     

    Mike Ball Expeditions: Live-aboard trip on the Paradise Sport (Papua New Guinea) or the Spoil Sport (Great Barrier Reef, Australia.)

    Aggressor Fleet: Live-aboard trip on the Kona Aggressor.

    Nekton Diving Cruises: Live-Aboard trip to Belize or Bahamas on a Nekton Vessel.

    Aquatica: A-300 Housing for the Canon Rebel Digital.

    Gates: F-717 Digital Housing.

    Ikelite: Substrobe 200 System.

    Amphibco: (Video Housing T.B.A.)

    Equinox: (Video Housing T.B.A.)

    Fujifilm U.S.A : 100 rolls of Velvia 100.

    Sea & Sea: YS-90 Auto Strobe.

    Scubapro: S-600/Mk-25 Regulator, Mask, Fin and Snorkel Set.

    Robert L. Straight: Custom One of a kind Sculpture.

    Eastman Kodak: 100 rolls of E-100G, 100 rolls of E100GX and 100 rolls of E100VS.

    Helix Photo: Aquatica Aqualens, Nikonos Ext. Tube Set.

    Spectrum Sea Color : 9-16”x20” Custom Glossy Prints.

    Fathoms Magazine: 8 Subscriptions.

    Pelican Products: #1650 and #1500 Cases.

    The Darkroom: 9-16”x20” Custom Glossy Prints or Drum Scans.

    Lowepro: Dryzone 200 Waterproof Camera Backpack.

    Southern Nikonos: Overhaul Certificate.

    Ultralight Control Systems: $200.00 Gift Certificate.

    Atomic: 1 Pair of Split Fins.

    Berger Bros. Camera: Ikelite RCD Dive Light.

    Underwater Phototech: $75.00 Gift Certificate.

    Cochran Consulting: Commander Dive Computer.

    Subaquatic Camera Repair Co: $175.00 Certificate.

    Princeton Tec: Ultimate Dive Light Set.

    Underwater Camera Repair.com: Camera Overhaul and Nikonos emergency repair manual

    Ideations: 1 Dive Alert.

    Submersible Systems: Spare Air System

    Apollo Sports U.S.A.: 2 Snorkels.

    Cressi Sub: (T.B.A.)

    Marine Camera Distributors: (T.B.A.)

    Ocean Divers: (T.B.A.)

    Seaquest: (T.B.A.)

    Underwater Kinetics: (T.B.A.)

    Immersed Magazine: 10 1- Year Subscriptions

     

     

    Bob Schrager

  2. Kudo's to Herb and Eric.........well done

     

    Bob, can we view these online?

     

    Edit....oophs.....missed Linda Cline of Dancing Fish ....cograts

     

    Karl

  3. Some of those names are familiar. Congratulations to all.

  4. Feels like deja vu, every contest announced here seems to have those same familiar names!! Congrats guys!

     

    Tom

  5. In a couple of weeks, these should be posted on the BTS website,

    www.BeneathTheSea.org

     

    Bob

     

    Kudo's to Herb and Eric.........well done

     

    Bob, can we view these online?

     

    Karl

  6. Congrats, Eric and Herb!

     

    Simon

  7. Congrats Eric and Herb well done. (and Linda in film)

     

    I know Herb's shot but what was your's Eric. I know you had that great screaming turtle shot but that one was published so you must have another beauty in the closet.

     

    Again well done.

  8. Hmmm. I don't remember which one I submitted! I'll have to dig it up in the ol' archives.

     

    Congratulations, Herb!! I'll get you next time... :)

  9. Hmmm. I don't remember which one I submitted!  I'll have to dig it up in the ol' archives.

     

    Congratulations, Herb!! I'll get you next time... :)

     

    Thanks. You got me last time at the NCUPS Sea2003 contest. I thought I didn't have to compete against pros like you.

  10. Congrats to Linda also. I guess we haven't converted her yet.

  11. Congratulations Herb and Eric. You guys certainly keep the bar high.

    Rand

  12. Thanks. You got me last time at the NCUPS Sea2003 contest. I thought I didn't have to compete against pros like you.

     

    I think I'm still ranked as "Intermediate" in most competitions. Still have some competitor life in me, yet. :)

  13. Are there any more Wetpixel folk in the list, up there? It's hard when many people don't use their real or full names. ..

  14. Ralph Oberlander, AKA Larry Oberlander, AKA Lionfish43

  15. Congrats! Just a couple of questions ... how can 1 photo place first AND second?

    1st place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “Untitled, Red Sea”  

    2nd place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “ Untitled, Red Sea”

    and what does

    Cold Water Shipwrecks:  

    No qualifying entries this year  

    That mean? no one entered a photo??
  16. Congrats! Just a couple of questions ... how can 1 photo place first AND second?
    1st place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “Untitled, Red Sea”  

    2nd place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “ Untitled, Red Sea”

     

    Probably two different photos neither of which had a title.

  17. Thanks. You got me last time at the NCUPS Sea2003 contest. I thought I didn't have to compete against pros like you.

     

    I think I'm still ranked as "Intermediate" in most competitions. Still have some competitor life in me, yet. :)

     

    Herb I hear he is listed as a visiting pro for the Digital shootout in Fiji so you probably don't have to compete against him in that one. Although...if he is judging you may be in trouble. LOL :)

  18. congrats to all of you!!!!!!!!!!! :):):D:D

     

     

    /paul

  19. Congrats! Just a couple of questions ... how can 1 photo place first AND second?
    1st place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “Untitled, Red Sea”  

    2nd place: Burkhard Ohlendorf Hilden, Germany “ Untitled, Red Sea”

     

    Probably two different photos neither of which had a title.

     

    Oh Duh! now I feel really stupid! :oops:

  20. Congrats to Linda also. I guess we haven't converted her yet.

     

    Whaddya mean, I have my D100! I just need to shoot some winners with it so I can submit to the digital category! :?

     

    Congratulations, Herb and Eric!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.