Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Beneath The Sea Photo Competition Winners

Started by rschrager ·

  • 61Posts
  • 61Replies

Read-only discussion

Beneath The Sea Photo Competition Winners

61 posts
  1. Ralph Oberlander, AKA Larry Oberlander, AKA Lionfish43

     

    Congratulations, Ralph/Larry/Lionfish43! :)

  2. Is there a link to the winning shots?

  3. Thanks Eric

    Congrats to you and all the other winners.

     

    BTW, I signed up for the Digital Shootout in Fiji so I don't think I'll be able to do the Shearwater as well.

  4. BTW: Ralph, your name couldn't be further from your passtime eh!

  5. Nothing will be up for a bit but you have seen Herb's shot. I heard Lionfish43 has his on his web page and Eric can't recall what turtle he entered but is looking into it.

     

    Linda, where in Oregon are you from? (My wife is from Eugene)

     

    Congrats Larry also

  6. Congratulations everyone! We love the challenge of reaching your standards.

  7. Here's the turtle shot I entered. I agree -- it's 3rd place material. :)

  8. Congrats to Linda also. I guess we haven't converted her yet.

     

    Whaddya mean, I have my D100! I just need to shoot some winners with it so I can submit to the digital category! :?

     

    Congratulations, Herb and Eric!

     

    Linda, I don't believe there's anything preventing you from scanning in your film images and submitting them in the digital category.

     

    Rand

  9. Linda, where in Oregon are you from? (My wife is from Eugene)

     

    I'm from Forest Grove, in the west burbs of Portland. My mom lives in Eugene and I used to spend alot of time there... But up here is closer to diving!

  10. Linda, I don't believe there's anything preventing you from scanning in your film images and submitting them in the digital category.

     

    Rand

     

    Hmmm, that's probably true for many of these... I guess I need to stop thinking in terms of boundaries!

  11. Here's the turtle shot I entered.  I agree -- it's 3rd place material. :)

     

    I think he's adorable. Where did you go to get these baby turtles?

  12. seahorse3.jpg

     

    This is my winning image. I know this will probably rub some people here at Wetpixel the wrong way but the shot was taken with a film camera and scanned.

     

    My personal opinion is that an underwater image is an underwater image regardless of what media it was captured on and there probably shouldn't be seperate categories for digital and slides. It's just more convenient for me to scan and burn a CD for contest entry than get duplicate slides made or worry about sending original slides.

  13. I agree -- the final image is what counts. The capture medium is not so important.

     

    The Palau shoot-out this year was supposed to have film and digital competing against each other (Jim Watt's influence, I think). Is it still on in May, or has it been cancelled?

     

    Some tricky camera setup will be necessary for live shoot-outs. Have to shoot simultaneous RAW + JPG and set the camera to output pleasing JPGs straight from the camera, while saving the precious RAW data...

  14. Ralph,

    I'd be fascinated to know where in the world you took the shot of the sea horse.

  15. I took the photo last April at a dive site called Basura while on a dive trip to Club Ocellaris, Anilao, Philippines. Basura is the best macro photography site that I have ever done, by far. The group of divers that was there at the same time as me included some very well traveled and well know U/W photograpers and their opinion was that Basura at least equalled the best worldwide - Lembeh.

  16. How competitive do those shootouts get? I have this image in my head of people almost coming to blows, fighting over the same subject.

  17. Certainly be putting that place on the list for next year I think!

     

    How big was it?

  18. Certainly be putting that place on the list for next year I think!  

     

    How big was it?

    Larger than a pygmy but not by much. The image was taken with a 105 racked all the way out.
  19. [

    This is my winning image. I know this will probably rub some people here at Wetpixel the wrong way but the shot was taken with a film camera and scanned.  

     

    My personal opinion is that an underwater image is an underwater image regardless of what media it was captured on and there probably shouldn't be seperate categories for digital and slides. It's just more convenient for me to scan and burn a CD for contest entry than get duplicate slides made or worry about sending original slides.

     

    That is interesting. I too had obviously misunderstood the category to be shots with a digital camera. They should be more clear about that on there competition rules. Very well exposed shot.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.