Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5D Mk III Official Thread

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 50Posts
  • 50Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D Mk III Official Thread

50 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    The specs and some images of Canon's new 5D Mk III have been leaked today and are published on PetaPixel amongst other places.

     

    The actual launch is apparently scheduled for tomorrow. As soon as there is an official announcement, we will have it on the front page!

     

    PetaPixel's listed specs are:

     

    Unsurpassed Image Quality

     

    22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor

    DIGIC 5+ Image Processor

    ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400)

    Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600))

     

    High Performance Operation

     

    61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)

    6.0 fps for high continuous shooting

    Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage

    3.2-type, approx. 1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II

    iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor

    Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

     

    High End Features

     

    Silent & low vibration modes

    Dual card slots (CF & SD)

    High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode

    Multiple Exposures

    Comparative Playback function

    Improved durability & water and dust resistance

     

    Specifications

     

    Available Colours – Black

    Megapixels – 22MP

    Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm

    ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600

    Autofocus Points – 61 points

    Lens Mount – Canon

    LCD Size – 3.2″

    Liveview – Yes

    Viewfinder – Optical TTL

    Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec

    Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec

    Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps

    Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec

    Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial

    Video Resolution – Full HD 1080

    Memory Type – Compact Flash

    Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)

    Battery – LP-E6

    Battery Type – Lithium-ion

    Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger

    File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4

    Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm

    Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6, Battery Charger LC-E6, AV Cable AVC-DC400ST, Interface Cable IFC-200U, Eyecup Eg, Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII, CR1616 Lithium Battery+

  2. Looks very nice! Finally a top notch focusing system. There will be some clear separation between this and the D800, depending on the photographer's needs.

    Edited by loftus
  3. The Canon forum on DPreview has gone a bit crazy with disappointment. I am sure the Mk3 is as much of an upgrade over the Mk2, as that was over the Mk1. Although most of the spec junkies on those forums don't see it.

     

    As well as appealing to photographers the 5D has always appealed to the measurebators, both in Mk1 and Mk2 form. With the Mk1, as a Canon user you could have 12MP when Nikon users had just 6. With the Mk2 you could have 21MP when Nikon users had just 12. I think it will take some adjusting for those guys (and it will be all men!) to have just 22Mp when Nikon users have 36.

     

    The photographers, I'm sure, will appreciate all the advances in all the other specs and realise there is more to a camera than MP. Sadly they don't often post on DPreview anymore!

     

    Alex

  4. The Canon 5D mark III is a sweet looking machine. I've had a hard time living with 4 FPS on the mark II. 6 FPS is where they should have been three years ago. Any way you look at it.......I'll have some 5D mark II's on Ebay pretty soon.

  5. The Canon 5D mark III is a sweet looking machine. I've had a hard time living with 4 FPS on the mark II. 6 FPS is where they should have been three years ago. Any way you look at it.......I'll have some 5D mark II's on Ebay pretty soon.

     

    I think it was only limited by the speed recording of the cards. 90meg/s when your raw images are 30meg...

    So it doesn't much have to do with Canon. Now 2 cards slot, double the fps :swimmingfish:

  6. I will have to put a lot of thought into whether or not I approve of this camera that I wont be able to buy for about a decade.

     

    Otara

    Edited by Otara
  7. Once the D800 and the 5D are out and the individual functionalities of each are tested, I think there will be some interesting comparisons. The main tests for Nikon will be just how much one is giving up on low light performance and for video guys, how video quality compares. In terms of versatility, high res FX and DX are real potential game changers in my opinion. The D800 is really starting to look more like a DX and an FX camera in one, at $500 less than the Canon. (Have to stir the pot here a little. :swimmingfish: )

    Edited by loftus
  8. I will have to put a lot of thought into whether or not I approve of this camera that I wont be able to buy for about a decade.

     

     

    Haha! Totally agree.

     

    I do find the discussions interesting though. And I also find it funny how everyone puts so much stock into the number of megapixels.

     

    What do I need more? 36 mp? Or 22 mp with lower noise and better dynamic range (hypothetically)? I think I would take the latter.

  9. That's why I said we have to see how the D800 performs. I suspect up to 1000 ISO or so it will be the higher quality image.

    For me the potential to carry a DX and an FX in one box is a big deal. I don't really need 36MP, but the fact that it lets me do 15MP DX as well, is attractive. Just ordered another Tokina 10-17. And I am holding off on the 600mm f4 I wanted for my D700

    Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, just very excited about the sweetspot those of us vested in Nikon glass are; with a V1 (and FT convertor) and a D800, I have an unbelievable range of glass options with what I already own, for just about every type of photography that I like to do.

    Edited by loftus
  10. (I agree with you on the mp issue, BUT am forced to see that most of the photos I sell (at high rates anyway) are used for very large print and so DO need so much mp. I have a 5D2, and 21mp often is not enough for what "they" want. So, "selling-wise", a lot of mps is not always bad :swimmingfish: )

     

    + croping issue for same reason. Some client wants specific crops of specific photo you have at specific sizes... always easier when you have more mps.

    Edited by Autopsea
  11. I have been shooting the Mkii for over 2 years now and absolutely love the IQ out of it. The one thing that bugs me about it is the 1/200 sync speed. Drew has had some success taping some of the connectors on the hot shoe and has been able to get a clean image. I on the other hand have not been so lucky my camera leaves a black stripe at the bottom of the image at sync speeds of 1/250 and above. This version still has 1/200 sync speed so sun balls are really hard.

    Pluses:

    1) Better focusing than the Mkii

    2) 6FPS

    3) Better video all I-Frame recording

    4) 2 memory card slots

     

    Minuses:

    1) Sync speed 1/200

    2) No clean HDMI out

    3) 8 bit 4:2:0 color sampling for video

  12. Minuses:

    1) Sync speed 1/200

    2) No clean HDMI out

    3) 8 bit 4:2:0 color sampling for video

     

    4) No flash (even if you buy a mini led flash you will not have sTTL options)

  13. If it can shoot video with out Moire and H.264 compression banding on solid tones then I may get one.

    Edited by wagsy
  14. I have been shooting the Mkii for over 2 years now and absolutely love the IQ out of it. The one thing that bugs me about it is the 1/200 sync speed. Drew has had some success taping some of the connectors on the hot shoe and has been able to get a clean image. I on the other hand have not been so lucky my camera leaves a black stripe at the bottom of the image at sync speeds of 1/250 and above. This version still has 1/200 sync speed so sun balls are really hard.

    Mark I think the issue is in the sync ICB. I tried it with my other body on other housings like the Seacam and S&S. They work. It may just be the Subal. :swimmingfish:

     

    As for the 5D3, it's an incremental upgrade from the 5D2, vs the D800 chasm jump compared to the D700. The noise level is D3s low but with almost twice the mp. The NR for jpeg does remove detail, but no worse than the D800. RAW files aren't allowed yet because of pre-release firmware. Everything is a little more responsive, esp that AF. It will take some analysis to figure out the best pattern for the 61 points since it seems even Canon's people are rewriting all literature on how to use it.

     

    David, I'm glad there's no flash. Those things are absolutely useless topside (lens shadow, recycling, battery drain, power) and only useful for optical TTL for macro and CFWA since most big strobes don't have optical firing. Then there's the recycling issue. That darn 320EX just doesn't have high speed sync which is a drag but that now 600EX-RT is awesome for those who don't have pocket wizard.

     

    Wags, there will always be a bit of banding with 420 and even 422 codecs, but it is better than the 5D2 in that respect.

     

    Bottom line, the D800 seems awesomer on specs but I guess there's that role reversal of sorts. The funny thing is Canon avoided the escalation war on mp and unfortunately, is still protecting their video division somewhat.

  15. David, I'm glad there's no flash. Those things are absolutely useless topside (lens shadow, recycling, battery drain, power) and only useful for optical TTL for macro and CFWA since most big strobes don't have optical firing. Then there's the recycling issue. That darn 320EX just doesn't have high speed sync which is a drag but that now 600EX-RT is awesome for those who don't have pocket wizard.

     

    I don´t know, if you have it you can choose to use it or not. If you don´t have it you cannot choose... Some people say that the reason for higher end models to not bring flash is because it is a weak spot and can break easily which, for UWP, is a non issue...

     

     

    Pluses:

    1) Better focusing than the Mkii

    2) 6FPS

    3) Better video all I-Frame recording

    4) 2 memory card slots

     

    5) 8-15mm... :swimmingfish:

  16. David, I'm glad there's no flash. Those things are absolutely useless topside (lens shadow, recycling, battery drain, power) and only useful for optical TTL for macro and CFWA since most big strobes don't have optical firing. Then there's the recycling issue.

    Not useless at all. Underwater as you mention, for those who want optical TTL and synching it's very useful, in fact impossible with the 5D. May not be ideal for everything, but certainly a feature, like the Nikon HDMI output is a feature. Not essential but desirable for some.

    Topside I use the flash frequently as a daylight fill for anything within ten to fifteen feet; I love the way it puts a highlight in the eye and brings out detail.

    Finally it works great as a fill strobe as part of the Nikon Speedlight control system. Lens shadow not an issue in these situations. And then, yes, even works beautifully as a regular strobe for pics of the family and friends. Great thing to have available when you want it. Maybe not a deal breaker, but a feature nevertheless.

    Edited by loftus
  17. Jeff & David, I guess it's an individual thing, but I'm glad it's not there. :swimmingfish:

     

    The 8-15 is nice. FF, it's really useful @ 8 or 15mm. It's sharper than the 15FE and focuses faster. The FF or APS compatibility is great for reviewers, since I can now have one lens for both camera formats.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.