Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5D Mk III Official Thread

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 50Posts
  • 50Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D Mk III Official Thread

50 posts
  1. <br />All that sounds good, but it means a change from using stobes to continous lighting. There are some distinct draw back to that.<br />
    <br /><br /><br />

     

    Yea, we are a ways off from video stills being as good as dslr stills. And the lighting and such won't be as good.

  2. Looking at how close it is on the Aquatica - there is probably a pretty good chance on a less "fitted" housing, such as the Ikelite?

     

    Although in January I tried the Nikon D800 in both Subal and Ikelite housings and it wouldn't quite fit in either.

     

    Alex

     

     

     

    If anyone has access to the new mkiii, and a ikelite mkii housing. I would be very interested to see if that could work.

  3. Regarding new back plates for old housings.

    The idea is great but in reality it's often a bad deal. I have switched cameras way too often. Once I bought a back plate instead of a new housing. It was much cheaper than buying a new housing and it felt like a good deal. Problem is that when I changed camera again, it was impossible to sell the backplate. I could easily sell the complete housing (with either the new or the old backplate), but selling just the back plate turned out to be impossible (anyone looking for a D300s backplate for Ikelite D300 or D300s uw-housing?).

     

    So, I recommend to instead sell the old housing and buy a new one. I would have saved money doing that.

    Edited by Segerdahl
  4. There will be tons of these tests flooding the web next week, and I'm sure many of you are already sick to death of the 5Diii, but this one over at EOSHD gets me real excited.

     

    I'm a video shooter who's giving up a big gates housing because I can't travel with it anymore. Just too much for me. Mostly I shoot technical stuff and the low iso on the iii is looking pretty good for my apps. It's gonna be a learning curve to transition to the small housing but I'm excited by what I'm seeing.

     

    Chris

  5. I'll try post some stuff later in the week. Nothing to scream about but it's the DR and ISO3200+ noise difference that's most noticeable, compared to the 5D2. I'll probably use it for topside and keep the 5D2 for uw until the housings start coming out. Not going to get much money for the 5D2 housing/camera combo anyways.

    All-I in 90mb/s(!) is a bit higher in resolution but not very significantly so, but better moiré and aliasing control.

     

    I don't think there's much of a difference between the 1Dx/5D3/D4/D3s in terms of noise now... probably in the 1/3 stop range. The 61 pt AF system tracks better and acquires subjects with a bit more spirit. But for normal shooting, it's not much difference. Haven't tried low light scenes yet, maybe that's where the difference will lie.

    It's an upgrade and an incremental one (albeit very impressive). That's what Canon usually does anyhow. It's not a game-changer for DSLR like the 5D2 was, since 1080p video is everywhere and the incremental improvements aren't as impressive as Nikon's huge jump from near zero to hero.

     

    ** Dammit, dead pixel! Have to send it back!

    Edited by Drew
  6. Has anyone looked yet how it would fit in a 7D housing? The 5D mkiii design seems to have a lot more in common with the 7D in terms of button placements than the 5D mkii.

  7. Dag:

     

    Just got the body and tried dropping into my 5DM2 Subal with almost the same result. Close but just not quite. I'm guessing in the range of just a few mil off, but in several areas.

     

    Talked to Subal last week and they were still waiting to get in the Mk3 and couldn't comment on adaptability yet.

     

    I would think that based on what I'm seeing it will be more than a new tray and back.

  8. 5D III vs D800 could be simple decision. Look into your lens bag what's compatible :lol: I wouldn't switch my lenses based on one camera generation for average pros and cons. As long as there is nothing substantial missing ...

     

    I looked in the lens bag and it was all Canon. So the 5dmk3 is in the mail, along with the kit lens and some other random glass that seemed like it would look nice on the front of the new camera.

     

    So Jolly...about that eTTL we were discussing...

     

    :)

  9. I think both Nikon and Canon boys can be happy with their new toys. The D800 and 5DMkIII are both insane cameras!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.