Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dive Watches

Started by WanderingBob ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Dive Watches

32 posts
  1. When I was in my teens, my Dad gave me a Zodiac Super Sea Wolf dive watch ... 75 ATM ... 2,442 ft! Or something like that! I hated it! Was WAY too big and WAY too heavy. I have tried a few others, but have lately used Timex Triathlons. But have flooded 3 in 3 months, last one in a pool! So I'm looking for a dive watch.

     

    As mentioned, while using the Timex, I got used to using the digital format. But, am not fixed on a digital watch.

     

    Can you guys make some suggestions and the reasons for the suggestions, so I can get dialed in on a new Dive Watch?

     

    Thanks so much!

  2. Citizen Aqualand 2

     

    Because its awesome :)

     

    Dean

  3. A dive watch? That means dive tables... Maybe nice to wear in the bar but little use underwater, especially as a photog. IMHO get into Suunto. If I need a 'dive timer' I just put one of my redundant Stingers into gauge...

     

    HTH, Tim

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  4. I have a Casio DEP 610 which is no longer made but can be occasionally found on eBay. It's a great dive watch with a log function. I sometimes use it as a bottom timer for deco dives. I also have an Omega Seamaster GMT for looking like a diver. :-) But I prefer my Liquivision X-1 underwater.

  5. For boat dives, a timer is all you need but for multiple shore diving (eg Bonaire style) a watch is definite nice to have on your wrist all day without the worry of leaving stuff in the truck. In this case I combine an Aqualand watch with a side slung integrated 'puter to reduce wrist clutter. Depth, timer and ascent alarm on the watch is then a big bonus.

     

    The Aqualand is - or at least used to be - available in digital or analogue form. I prefer the digital for diving only because it's a bit clearer but if it's the only watch I take on a trip, then an analogue with digital timer and depth panels suits me better.

     

    2c Tim

    Edited by Balrog
  6. I go analog and no batteries.

     

    Here are a few old reliables. I used the bottom timer for 2 years and then it quite. I took it back to shop, the guy takes a look at it, and says "you got to wind it every year".

     

    post-72-1331088153.jpg

  7. I go with DeanB,

     

    Citizen Aqualand, whatever Model you like.

     

    Awesome watches!

     

    Chris

     

    P.S. I use now for reddancy a Suunto D6 instead of the Aqualand and she is still perfect after approx 500 dives.

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  8. Suunto all the way....

     

    i use my tag aqua racer as a back up... until the bezel popped off on a deep dive!! now i rely only on my stinger and it has been good for 4 years! plenty of warning about the battery and i can get it pressure tested here in teh UAE now :)

  9. Agree I have had a Suunto Stinger for the last 8 years odd. It has been very good. I also have an old Breitling M1 chrono, which I got used for not that much. The fact that it is titanium and has a quartz movement, makes it bomb proof.

  10. "you got to wind it every year".

     

    Bahahaha!

  11. Thanks Guys.

     

    Was hoping for an everyday watch that I could use as a dive backup watch. I do have small wrists so doubt I would use a suunto as an everyday watch. Not sure how the Aqualands would feel/fit, but they sure are pretty! And some are very cool looking with lots of features.

     

    I am also looking at a Freestyle Hammer Head watch as a basic back-up. But, really do like the Aqualands. I can't see them in person here in the boonies of AK, but am trying to find a small bezel model to check out.

     

    Thanks

  12. I have a Citizen Hyper Aqualand and a Citizen Cyber Aqualand NX.

     

    The Hyper Aqualand was bought in 1999 and is still going strong (the battery has been replaced 2 or 3 times). There's no computer but it does log depth and temperature. The data can be transferred to a Windows XP (or older) computer. Now that I have the Cyber Aqualand NX, this gets mounted on my camera rig as a backup (and holds the sync cable in place).

     

    The Cyber Aqualand NX was bought on 2005 and is also still going strong. It has a computer and also does Nitrox. This is comfortable to wear on the wrist and when I do dive trips is my 24x7 time piece.

     

    The Hyper Aqualand (or whatever the current equivalent) is smaller than the Cyber Aqualand NX - about the size of a regular watch. It makes a great everyday watch. The Cyber Aqualand NX is a bit chunky but would be OK as an everyday watch and works fine for that purpose for me on dive trips.

     

    By the way, I have very small wrists and neither watch gives me a problem.

    Edited by ATJ
  13. I managed to find a quarter in a drawer so here are a couple of photos to show size.

     

    HyperAqualand.jpg

     

    CyberAqualandNX.jpg

    Edited by ATJ
  14. I managed to find a quarter in a drawer so here are a couple of photos to show size.

     

    HyperAqualand.jpg

     

    CyberAqualandNX.jpg

     

    Thanks Andrew. That looks like the one, but is no longer made. They fetch a pretty good price on EBay used!

     

    I'm looking at the Citizen Titanium Aqualand Duplex Diving Watch JP10 Which looks similar.

  15. Was hoping for an everyday watch that I could use as a dive backup watch.

     

    I've always wanted to avoid electronics in a back-up, so I have a Breitling Colt, pressure rated to 500m. I have to admit to not diving with it very often these days, as I've also got a 300m rated Citizen Eco-Drive which backs up my Suunto...

    ... my Breitling is mostly terrestrial these days. It's a little smaller than the Rolexes and Omegas that were once so popular with divers who had picked up some money here and there!

     

    Tim

     

    :drink:

  16. I have a Breitling Colt, pressure rated to 500m.

     

    :drink:

     

    Thanks Tim, pretty watches!

  17. Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm curious how the Citizen eco-drive work.

     

    I have known several people who own one and have said they have had reliability problems with the eco drive keeping the watch working reliablily.

     

    I have learned the hard way to always bring a back up that does not rely upon batteries in any way.

  18. I have used the Citizen Aqualand Duplex ProMaster Diving Watch and the Citizen Eco-Drive Aqualand 20th Anniversary Model. Both have kept time like a chronograph. I keep the eco on my dresser so it gets light exposure to keep the battery charged. I have since switched to an Oceanic OC1 as a back up for my Uwatec Galileo Sol since these Citizens only track dive depth/time and are not dive computers.

    Edited by eyu
  19. I have used the Citizen Aqualand Duplex ProMaster Diving Watch and the Citizen Eco-Drive Aqualand 20th Anniversary Model. Both have kept time like a chronograph. I keep the eco on my dresser so it gets light exposure to keep the battery charged. I have since switched to an Oceanic OC1 as a back up for my Uwatec Galileo Sol since these Citizens only track dive depth/time and are not dive computers.

     

     

    Thanks Eyu,

     

    Thanks, that is really all I'm looking for ... depth and time. However you bring up a good point as a back-up computer. I doubt I would carry such, and am even reconsidering the Timex 200m or a G-shock to keep back-up time. These watches do not record depth.

     

    You mention the Uwatec. When they become available again thru my dealer, I will go with the Luna and I should be well covered. Anything like the Aqualand Duplex is a bonus.

  20. My thoughts on dive watch/instrumentation/computers has changed as I have become more experienced in hyperbaric medicine. Having been on two recent trips where one diver had some signs and symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS) that required a visit to the hyperbaric oxygen chamber and another diver who had DCS or an arterial gas embolus (AGE) that required 14+ chamber treatments and an air med evacuation to Duke. Both of these two divers were experienced with well over 1500 dives between them.

     

    Dive tables with repetitive dives are not as accurate as a dive computer, so if your computer fails and you go to tables you are at a disadvantage.

    A second computer that is the size of a wrist watch and also is a watch adds a further margin of safety.

     

    Elmer

    Edited by eyu
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.