Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dive Watches

Started by WanderingBob ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Dive Watches

32 posts
  1. My thoughts on dive watch/instrumentation/computers has changed as I have become more experienced in hyperbaric medicine. Having been on two recent trips where one diver had some signs and symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS) that required a visit to the hyperbaric oxygen chamber and another diver who had DCS or an arterial gas embolus (AGE) that required 14+ chamber treatments and an air med evacuation to Duke. Both of these two divers were experienced with well over 1500 dives between them.

     

    Dive tables with repetitive dives are not as accurate as a dive computer, so if your computer fails and you go to tables you are at a disadvantage.

    A second computer that is the size of a wrist watch and also is a watch adds a further margin of safety.

     

    Elmer

     

    Thatt's what I do.

     

    But after both computers and the backup batteries for them fail, then you are going to need your dive watch.

    Edited by davephdv
  2. A second computer that is the size of a wrist watch and also is a watch adds a further margin of safety.

     

    Elmer

     

    The smallest I see is a Citizen Aqualand Duplex, but the measurements vary by seller from 41-48mm. Awaiting reply from Citizen for confirmation.

     

    The 20th anniversary addition states it's 48mm. Anyone compare them in person? Are they the same size?

     

    I like the look of the Duplex JP10, but I guess the nature of the beast, is the size.

     

    Just seems too big for a wrist watch.

     

    Funny, there's a Chris Benz model at twice the price, but is listed at 41mm ... looks like a Citizen with a prettier face.

     

    Ahhhh!

  3. The Citizen Duplex and Eco anniversary are about the same size. They both are very similar to ATJ's pics size wise.

  4. The Citizen Duplex and Eco anniversary are about the same size. They both are very similar to ATJ's pics size wise.

     

    Thanks Eyu.

     

    Just heard back from Citizen.

     

    The smallest currently available is the Duplex at 46mm. The 20th Anniversary Eco Drive is 52.5mm and a bit thicker with cooler bling.

     

    I am probably going with a Titanium Duplex ... the next time a Timex floods.

  5. I love Citizen Titanium Aqualand Duplex ProMaster Diver w/ Titanium Bracelet; good size, light, have been using for 3 years, everyday use.

  6. I was looking on the Citzen official website and didn't see the duplex listed as a current model.

  7. Here's a pic of the duplex and anniversary together. Did not realize the difference in size in the pic, but on my wrist it is not a noticeable difference.

    post-8179-1331816579.jpg

    Edited by eyu
  8. I was looking on the Citzen official website and didn't see the duplex listed as a current model.

     

    Dave, the duplex has been discontinued, but is still available from retailers. You can download .pdf's on the Net

     

    Here's a pic of the duplex and anniversary together. Did not realize the difference in size in the pic, but on my wrist it is not a noticeable difference.

     

    Perfect. Thanks for everyone that took the time to respond and post pics.

     

    It's all good. This is what I was looking for.

  9. I"m 6'2", 235# (if I exhale thoroughly before weighing :D) but think I have pretty small wrists. I have the 20 yr anniversary asymmetric pictured above but with the eyepopping orange rubber strap.

     

    It is noticably bigger than the Hyper aqualand I used to have - both in diameter and thickness - and feels heavier too. But I still love it. It's my daily watch.

     

    Never had a problem with the ECO-drive running low on power. They do some smart things like turn off the second hand completely when the watch is in full dark. (Put it face down on a desk and come back later and flip it over quickly and you'll see the second hand racing to the right position.) But I've only had mine a year or so.

     

    They Hyper got stolen after about 5 years of ownership, during which it had one battery change.

  10. I just received the Citizen Aqualand titanium duplex with the rubber wrist band. The watch is just a bit larger than a Timex 200m watch. Sensor sticks out about 2mm wider, the buttons perhaps 1mm, and the thickness is about 1.5mm thicker than the Timex.

     

    Love it. I am currently awaiting a crystal protector and will be looking for a replacement watch band. The OEM is just a bit too large.

     

    I am looking at the Nato type bands. Anyone have any suggestions?

     

    Thanks,

  11. This week I was diving simultaneously with a Suunto D6i, a Suunto D9, a Scubapro Meridian and an Oceanic Veo3 (Pelagic Z+). Was that enough? I didn't need a watch!

    Edited by John Bantin
  12. This week I was diving simultaneously with a Suunto D6i, a Suunto D9, a Scubapro Meridian and an Oceanic Veo3 (Pelagic Z+). Was that enough? I didn't need a watch!

     

    Hmmm, John, I think you may just have this covered! ;^)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.