Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica close-up lens

Started by SOX404 ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica close-up lens

24 posts
  1. Hey all,

     

    Anyone has experience using Aquatica close-up lens? http://aquatica.ca/en/accessories_closeup.html

    How's the photos IQ as the result of close-up lens?

    Anything good/ bad?

     

    I was thinking about getting it but want to make sure first that it is worth it.

     

    Thanks,

     

    AJ

  2. and if someone compare it with the subsee ?

  3. Hi,

     

    I've taken delivery of a few units. I haven't dove them yet as my schedule (and leaky drysuit zipper) prevents me from doing so. My initial impressions are:

     

    1) Mounting on the Aquatica macro port is very secure and the 3 locking screws provide a secure fit and they don't scratch the port

    2) The quick mounting system is locks the diopter tightly to the mount. Not quite as solid as say a bayonet but still locks in there. The 67mm threads also allow for ports with M67 mounts.

    3) Same magnification as the Subsee

     

    Just for laughs, I tried to see how close I could get with the +10. Click here and scroll down. There is some motion smearing and shallow DOF, but IQ is very good compared to bare EF100f2.8 Macro, and working distance from the end of the diopter was about 1.5-2" to get that much magnification.

     

    Stewart

     

    and if someone compare it with the subsee ?
  4. Id love to see some test comparisons underwater, any one have examples we can view (like the Subsee site example shots).

     

    Jean??

  5. Click on the link by the OP. Mauricio Handler took the 1st unit down for a dive and has sample images.

     

    S.

  6. geez that was quick Stewart! Are you referring to the blenny photo?

     

    Unless Ive missed something out of the AQ site Id like to see a few more examples of different supermacro critter closeups?

  7. @Stewart, which link were you referring to? I'd love to see the image samples.

  8. There are sample blenny images shot by Mauricio Handler in the Aquatica website. The close up kit is only just arriving in dealer's shelves so images taken with them should be coming.

     

    S.

  9. Id love to see some test comparisons underwater, any one have examples we can view (like the Subsee site example shots).

     

    Jean??

     

     

    Gee13, I did some side by side test, but cannot report on this, as the moderator would yank it out ASAP. I will let other non affiliated photographer pick up from here and report in due time as I think that reviewing specific products and at the same time, been affiliated to them or to the company importing or manufacturing them is not really the proper way to do it.

     

    Cheers.

  10. Gee13, I did some side by side test, but cannot report on this, as the moderator would yank it out ASAP. I will let other non affiliated photographer pick up from here and report in due time as I think that reviewing specific products and at the same time, been affiliated to them or to the company importing or manufacturing them is not really the proper way to do it.

     

    Cheers.

     

    Jean. Would it be possible to be able to at least post some photos taken with your new setup?

    Edited by KirkD
  11. What I have is basically rulers and textures aluminum, not really exciting at all, there is a shot of a Sailfin Blenny taken by Mauricio with the +5

     

    post-1676-1331667798.jpg

     

    I dug out some of the boring stuff from the hard drive, be forewarned, these are not high on the emotional stimulating factor. :drink:

     

    first the +5

     

    post-1676-1331668468.jpg

     

    post-1676-1331668489.jpg

     

    and the +10

     

    post-1676-1331668528.jpg

     

    The ruler was positioned at an angle in order to have an idea of the depth of field, and aperture was f/40 for the +5 and f/45 for the +10, the grid was shot at f/18 with the +5. I will limit my comments to this.

  12. Since you are on here Jean, I would like to have a way to thread the diopters in and would like to be able to attach both the 5 and 10 diopters and flip them up when they are not in use. Saga Dive make one, but not for an Aquatica port .... yet. Ryan over at Reef Photo has them. Here are some pics:

     

    sag.dlha.frm.67-250_2.jpgsag.dlha.frm.67-250_3.jpgsag.dlha.frm.67-250_4.jpgsag.dlha.frm.67-250_5.jpg

    So Jean, this is on my wish list. I just prefer not to pop the lenses in and out. I know that I will eventually loose one.

     

    Thanks for posting some pics.

    Edited by KirkD
  13. Or perhaps, the close-up lens can be mounted somewhere, say to a lens holder (like INON lens holder).

    Edited by SOX404
  14. Or perhaps, the close-up lens can be mounted somewhere, say to a lens holder (like INON lens holder).

     

    You can by that as wel. WhenI spoke with Jean at ourorld underwater, he said that they were working on mking a lens holder.

  15. KirkD send a mail in spanish to jose of sagadive he can product what you want :drink:

  16. There is already a part no. for the optional lens holder. 19354, It's designed to mount on either the strobe arm or the housing handle.

     

    S.

  17. I have the lens holder on my desk and planning on taking some studio shot of it tomorrow,

     

    I will post one the moment its done, it can be mounted on the grip or on a strobe arm.

     

    One of the comment that came back frequently at the design stage was that a somewhat weighty front mounted swivel attachment, with two close up lenses on the tip of an already negatively buoyant macro port would/will make the rig quite nose heavy and uncomfortable to shoot with.

  18. I wonder if the the new Dyron Aquatica adapter with a step down ring and the Saga Dive Dual Flip Lens Holder 67mm would work?

  19. Jean. Would it be possible to be able to at least post some photos taken with your new setup?

     

     

    Tim rock has some shot taken in Guam with the +10 using the Sigma 50mm (his 100mm as not arrived yet)

     

    http://www.guammicronesiadivetravel.com/travelblog1/?p=1473

     

    Cheers

  20. Looks good Jean. If the stock is available, I'm buying it now. Too bad, no Aquatica distributors here in Jakarta.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.