Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NIKON D4 UW housing!

Started by EXTREME ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

NIKON D4 UW housing!

43 posts
  1. I just got information from one of the biggest european dealers that Sea & Sea doesn't produce any more DSLR housings!? Is anybody have the same information or is anybody knows anything about it?

    I am looking forward for new UW housing for NIKON D4.

    When we can expect something about it? Is any other information about other companies (when they will announce D4 housing)? Subal???

    Thanks to all with helpful infos!

    P.S. I was really surprised with info that I can't buy anymore S&S housing (all other mounts, ports...etc I have for S&S :D )!

    Edited by EXTREME
  2. All I can tell you is that I know that Seacam are currently in the process of developing a D4 housing.

  3. Just out of curiosity, I see you also have a D800 that, for sure, will have many options housingwise. I also think it is a more "comfortable" camera to house and dive not having a fat bottom (i.e letting you get closer to the ground...). Why do you prefer to house the D4? no criticism intended! just curiosity on the possible D4 advantages

  4. I worked for a years with NIKON D3 underwater - water! I have hundred reasons to dive and to use in the future NIKON D4 instead D800!

    The main reason: I am doing a lot of extreme sports photography and I need fast camera in the housing! Get closer to the ground is the last reason to use another camera :D

    Is any more informations on my question in this moment? Thanks in advance :D

  5. I worked for a years with NIKON D3 underwater - water! I have hundred reasons to dive and to use in the future NIKON D4 instead D800!

    The main reason: I am doing a lot of extreme sports photography and I need fast camera in the housing! Get closer to the ground is the last reason to use another camera :D

    Is any more informations on my question in this moment? Thanks in advance :D

    No more real information, but it's likely that Nauticam will be the first with a housing as they usually are; and then Subal I am sure will support it as well but take a little longer probably. Contact Ryan at Reef Photo, he may have more info.

  6. Hey Predrag,

     

    I think most of the major players in the UW housing market are working on housings for the D4. I suspect that there will be lots of announcements in the next few weeks (now that the camera has shipped). Most have been working on housings designs since the camera was announced, although most manufacturers like to see a proper production camera before publishing their designs. Just in case there are a few last minute changes from Nikon.

     

    I think they will all start showing their housing designs in the next few weeks. With the actual housings being available by the summer. The summer is a vague date - I use advisably! Hopefully it means housings in people's hands by the beginning of summer (whenever that is!). You also have to factor in that the housing manufacturer's all love to claim that their housing is out now - when often the forums reveal that actually that means you can pay now, but you won't get it for a while!

     

    I am excited to see the solutions they produce for the D4. Most of the controls are standard, although I am pleased that zooming in when reviewing images is no longer a two handed affair (which is a pain in housing), as it was on D2 and D3 series. Of engineering interest is who in particular offers connectivity or at least space for the connections on the left side of the camera.

    I am also interested to see if anyone grasps the nettle regarding optical flash synch. With both the D4 and 5D3 not having built in flash - someone needs to take the lead here. Many photographers liking the advantages of fibre optic synch, it would be great if housing manufacture's gave the option of optical synch (not for all flashes and not for all shooting - but flagship models need flexibility).

    The technology is there (with systems like Hedwig's - all the housing manufacturer's would need to do is leave space (not much as it is about the same size as the standard hotshot) and more importantly install an optical bulkhead. Easy to DIY - but for a flagship model - it would be good to have options for expansion. Of course, these electronic to optical flash synch converters are manual only at the moment, but still nice to have. Maybe someone may even try an make an optical TTL version, which could be a game changer.

     

    The only delay for the D4 housings might be the D800. I think that most housing manufacturer's are aware that they will sell far more D800 housings than D4 housings, just as Nikon has more D800 orders than D4 orders. And maybe the D800 becomes more of a priority if D4 housings are not finished soon. Hopefully not, though, as the controls are similar enough to allow plenty of side by side development.

     

    I know plenty of rumours about D4 housings being worked on. But would rather let dealers and/or manufacturer's come in with an official line (as Paul has kindly provided above).

     

    Alex

     

    @ David - this link shows why Predrag needs a D4 and that frame rate, as he's not a typical underwater photographer:

    http://www.extreme-photographer.com/sequence.html

    Edited by Alex_Mustard — Had lunch!
  7. I worked for a years with NIKON D3 underwater - water! I have hundred reasons to dive and to use in the future NIKON D4 instead D800!

    The main reason: I am doing a lot of extreme sports photography and I need fast camera in the housing! Get closer to the ground is the last reason to use another camera :D

    Is any more informations on my question in this moment? Thanks in advance :D

     

    I see you are in a rush... You will need and I wish you EXTREME luck! :)

  8. @ David - this link shows why Predrag needs a D4 and that frame rate, as he's not a typical underwater photographer:

    http://www.extreme-photographer.com/sequence.html

     

    Thank you very much Alex!

    Each to his own... :D those are nice but mostly above water. The problem for UW would be strobe recycling (if strobes are need) but I guess everyone knows their necessities and no point in giving advice. I was just curious at the reasons for housing a D4 instead of a D800 (when owning both), no problems...

  9. I just got information from one of the biggest european dealers that Sea & Sea doesn't produce any more DSLR housings!? Is anybody have the same information or is anybody knows anything about it?

    I am looking forward for new UW housing for NIKON D4.

    When we can expect something about it? Is any other information about other companies (when they will announce D4 housing)? Subal???

    Thanks to all with helpful infos!

    P.S. I was really surprised with info that I can't buy anymore S&S housing (all other mounts, ports...etc I have for S&S :D )!

     

    Hi Extreme,

     

    In regard to the Sea&Sea question.... I will say that I think it a bit unfair to pass on information like that in a public forum unless it came from Sea&Sea itself. You may want to send an email to them directly.

     

    As others mentioned, there are likely to be other housings available for D4. (very likely :D )

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  10. Hey Predrag,

     

    I think most of the major players in the UW housing market are working on housings for the D4. I suspect that there will be lots of announcements in the next few weeks (now that the camera has shipped). Most have been working on housings designs since the camera was announced, although most manufacturers like to see a proper production camera before publishing their designs. Just in case there are a few last minute changes from Nikon.

     

    I think they will all start showing their housing designs in the next few weeks. With the actual housings being available by the summer. The summer is a vague date - I use advisably! Hopefully it means housings in people's hands by the beginning of summer (whenever that is!). You also have to factor in that the housing manufacturer's all love to claim that their housing is out now - when often the forums reveal that actually that means you can pay now, but you won't get it for a while!

     

    I am excited to see the solutions they produce for the D4. Most of the controls are standard, although I am pleased that zooming in when reviewing images is no longer a two handed affair (which is a pain in housing), as it was on D2 and D3 series. Of engineering interest is who in particular offers connectivity or at least space for the connections on the left side of the camera.

    I am also interested to see if anyone grasps the nettle regarding optical flash synch. With both the D4 and 5D3 not having built in flash - someone needs to take the lead here. Many photographers liking the advantages of fibre optic synch, it would be great if housing manufacture's gave the option of optical synch (not for all flashes and not for all shooting - but flagship models need flexibility).

    The technology is there (with systems like Hedwig's - all the housing manufacturer's would need to do is leave space (not much as it is about the same size as the standard hotshot) and more importantly install an optical bulkhead. Easy to DIY - but for a flagship model - it would be good to have options for expansion. Of course, these electronic to optical flash synch converters are manual only at the moment, but still nice to have. Maybe someone may even try an make an optical TTL version, which could be a game changer.

     

    The only delay for the D4 housings might be the D800. I think that most housing manufacturer's are aware that they will sell far more D800 housings than D4 housings, just as Nikon has more D800 orders than D4 orders. And maybe the D800 becomes more of a priority if D4 housings are not finished soon. Hopefully not, though, as the controls are similar enough to allow plenty of side by side development.

     

    I know plenty of rumours about D4 housings being worked on. But would rather let dealers and/or manufacturer's come in with an official line (as Paul has kindly provided above).

     

    Alex

     

    @ David - this link shows why Predrag needs a D4 and that frame rate, as he's not a typical underwater photographer:

    http://www.extreme-photographer.com/sequence.html

     

    Hi Alex,

    Thank you so much as always for your in detail explanation! I know that you best know what I really need and what for :D

    I was really little bit surprised with information about Sea&Sea because as you already know that I have everything from them (ports, flashes, cables...etc) and my first thoughts were that I need to change everything (not just the housing as I firstly planed).

    The main thing is my ZEN port and I little bit worry how to manage everything if I switch to some other housing! Also I like S&S so much and it will be hard to change :) if I have to :(

    Also you are tottaly right about new soultions and manufacturer's (I don't want to repeat your words) about housings for D4...I can't wait also to see some of them :D

    Thank you Alex!

  11. I've not heard anything about Sea & Sea, so I would double check with them about the housing situation as Chris suggests.

     

    I've no idea if it is true or not. Either way it would be big (Wetpixel frontpage) news! If it is true then wow! If it is false then that is a big news that a dealer is spreading this information! So thanks for flagging it up (I missed it when reading your post the first time).

     

    Even if it is true I am sure that Sea & Sea will still make strobes. Maybe the news is that they are not doing the D4 housing?

     

    Alex

  12. Hi Extreme,

     

    In regard to the Sea&Sea question.... I will say that I think it a bit unfair to pass on information like that in a public forum unless it came from Sea&Sea itself. You may want to send an email to them directly.

     

    As others mentioned, there are likely to be other housings available for D4. (very likely :D )

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

    Hi Cp,

    Of course that I sent e-mail to S&S but I didn't get any answer from them already couple of days :D

    I don't like rumours but in this case this tread it is not about it (I posted this not because of rumours...last thing what I would do)...I need to make right plans for my future shootings! My clients waiting for my dates and confirmations. If I don't have my equipment ready it is hard to manage all photo shootings on the right way (I already have some really important and unique shootings)! I sold out my D3 housing and in this moment I don't have anything!

    I hope that you can understand my position!

    Cheers!

  13. Hey Alex,

    I wrote reply above in the same time as you..

    I just explaine everything about posting my tread here (I hate rumours). I am just trying to make back up for my work!

    I heared it from two different sides (from one small dealer) month ago, and today from the one of the really big dealers from Europe when I contacted him about NIKON D4 housing!

    His answer on my requested e-mail is this:

     

    Me: I would like to ask you when you can except new S&S housing for Nikond D4!

     

    Dealer: i get latest infomation, Sea&Sea will stop produce with DSLR Housing.

    Where did you get this Information about Sea&Sea D4 Housing ?

     

    Me:I didn't get any information about it. Just I am asking because I would like to know when I can get new housing for my camera. I am really surprised with your info!!!

    Are you sure for it?

     

    Dealer: this was my information from the Dema in Orlando.I don`t know more.

    Other will be announced May/June!

     

    I hope this is not true :D

    Edited by EXTREME
  14. Hi Cp,

    Of course that I sent e-mail to S&S but I didn't get any answer from them already couple of days :D

    I don't like rumours but in this case this tread it is not about it (I posted this not because of rumours...last thing what I would do)...I need to make right plans for my future shootings! My clients waiting for my dates and confirmations. If I don't have my equipment ready it is hard to manage all photo shootings on the right way (I already have some really important and unique shootings)! I sold out my D3 housing and in this moment I don't have anything!

    I hope that you can understand my position!

    Cheers!

     

    Hi Extreme,

     

    No worries, I understand. I've been on both sides of it - waiting for announcement of a housing as a customer, and now as a rep, so I can definitely sympathize. (and now I'll be waiting patiently for the 5dmkiii :D )

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  15. The main thing is my ZEN port and I little bit worry how to manage everything if I switch to some other housing!

    I believe you should be able to change the back and mount for your Zen for any housing that you land up with

  16. I believe you should be able to change the back and mount for your Zen for any housing that you land up with

     

    Some mounts are super easy to change. Sea&Sea to Nauticam, for example. :D

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  17. I've notified S&S Jp of this "news". We'll see how true it is soon since there's been no official announcement, which would kinda be what S&S would have if they were to stop no?

    Edited by Drew
  18. I've notified S&S Jp of this "news". We'll see how true it is soon since there's been no official announcement, which would kinda be what S&S would have if they were to stop no?

     

    Maybe not - but if they were ramping down then they would want to keep it quiet as to not devalue stock sitting with dealers. I'd be surprised if they were stopping - as just about everyone agrees that the one growth sector in the diving industry is underwater photography. Maybe there are crossed wires - relating to Sea & Sea not doing a D4 housing? On my most recent workshop week Sea & Sea were the most popular housing brand (Subal the week before and Nauticam the week before that).

     

    Back on topic. I hope that now the D4 is released that housing manufacturer's will have news on their plans soon. I am really interested to see who caters for new tech and who ignores it.

     

    Alex

  19. Hi Extreme,

     

    In regard to the Sea&Sea question.... I will say that I think it a bit unfair to pass on information like that in a public forum unless it came from Sea&Sea itself. You may want to send an email to them directly.

     

     

    I have sent Sea & Sea an email through their website 2 weeks ago and have not gotten a response. I did get an email that said it takes typically 2-3 days to respond.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.