Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NIKON D4 UW housing!

Started by EXTREME ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

NIKON D4 UW housing!

43 posts
  1. Hey Extreme, Hugyfot is also making a D4 housing so may want to check availability...:

     

    http://www.hugyfot.com/info.html

     

    They also sell adapters for your S&S ports:

     

    http://www.hugyfot.com/Products/Adapters.html

     

     

    Thank you David for this info! Definitely this is not my choice :D

    In this moment I have to wait....and what I really know is "I want to buy the best housing on the market for Nikon D4"! What it will be we will see :D The other thing I need to watch for compatibility with my equipment (Zen port, YS250pro flashes...etc).

    P.S. I got some PP messages with offers for some other housings for some other cameras. Please don't send me any that kind of offers! I am really only looking forward for NIKON D4 UW housing :) As Alex already explained I am not doing just the regular UW photography! In any case thanks (below are samples what for I need Nikon D4).

    post-12935-1332248203.jpg

    post-12935-1332248228.jpg

    post-12935-1332248469.jpg

    Edited by EXTREME
  2. On my most recent workshop week Sea & Sea were the most popular housing brand (Subal the week before and Nauticam the week before that).

    Alex

     

     

    It is interesting to see what housings are popular. I know it depend on where you are. I do a tek trip once a year to the Florida Keys to do all the deep wrecks and I will see about 7-8 people with DSLRs and they are all Aquatica. When I do my "reef trips" down to Bonaire and Curacao, I see mainly P&S camera's, but in the last couple of years, I have seen more DLSRs, mainly being Aquatica and Ikelite. I'm headning to Bonaire next month and will be interested to see what people are using now. I think that if I did a underwater workshop, I would probably see DSLRs excusively and would see more of a variety of housings.

     

    AS far as the Sea & Sea thing goes, I think that they really missed the boat by not having a housing for the Nikon D90. It seemed that once that camera came out, alot of people made the move from P&S to DSLRs. I know that with the cost of ports, domes, rning, etc., I don't see myself jumping ship to another housing brand.

  3. I am very jealous of your problem Predrag! :D

  4. ....and what I really know is "I want to buy the best housing on the market for Nikon D4"!

     

    Then don´t worry about sea&sea not making a D4 housing! :D I guess you are only left with the "usual suspects" of Seacam, Subal, Aquatica or Nauticam...

  5. P.S. I got some PP messages with offers for some other housings for some other cameras. Please don't send me any that kind of offers!

     

    Allow me to apologize on behalf of WP. We don't allow unsolicited sales pitches via PM from dealers/manufacturers! We will deal with such nonsense. Let us know if anyone else bothers you.

     

    I assume you have the 9" Zen. That one doesn't have interchangeable port adapters, if I remember correctly?

     

    Srećno with the housing hunt.

  6. I assume you have the 9" Zen. That one doesn't have interchangeable port adapters, if I remember correctly?

     

    The o-ring sealing diameter of Zen DP-230 is exactly the same for both Sea & Sea and Nauticam. The port can be installed on a Nauticam housing only by changing the inexpensive plastic bayonet ring

     

    Our service department will retrofit domes to other housing mounts by replacing the base plate. Different base plates are available for Subal Type 4 and Hugyfot, and will be available for Ikelite in a matter of days.

  7. same here. getting my D4 in few days, I hope. Subal has already confirmed to me that the new housing for D4 will be ready by around June this year. I am first in their order list.

     

    Will sell my d3s and Subal housing after April.

     

    and no, no interest in D 800, only D4 as upgrade of D3s.

  8. I got a reply from Shuya Koda from S&S. They still make housings for DSLRs and will continue to do so.

  9. But not the D4?

  10. That's 2 questions! :D I just asked him about the rumor.

    If their own dealers don't jump out to deny this, I doubt I'd get any more info than their dealers no? :D

  11. Allow me to apologize on behalf of WP. We don't allow unsolicited sales pitches via PM from dealers/manufacturers! We will deal with such nonsense. Let us know if anyone else bothers you.

     

    I assume you have the 9" Zen. That one doesn't have interchangeable port adapters, if I remember correctly?

     

    Srećno with the housing hunt.

     

    Drew...don't worry! Everything I sorted out with private messages :D Thank you so much for WP support :D

    Srećno :)!

     

    Concerning the D4 housing...I will wait for final announce from producers...I am looking forward for best choice! For some urgent shootings I will take from my friend S&S housing for my D3!

    Edited by EXTREME
  12. This is picture of my ZEN mount for S&S. Is it possible to change it (I am thinking yes...but I don't know how look any other mount for some other housings)?

    P.S. I didn't get still yet any answer from S&S company about my question about UW housing for D4!!!

    post-12935-1332363177.jpg

  13. Finally I got answer on my e-mail from S&S:

     

    Hello-

    SEA&SEA is certainly still producing housings, however, the next new

    housings are for the Nikon D800 and Canon 5DMKIII. There are no plans to

    make a Nikon D4 housing, we are sorry.

     

    Best Regards,

    ----

    SEA&SEA U/W Imaging

  14. Well so much for confidential information! :grr:

  15. This is picture of my ZEN mount for S&S. Is it possible to change it (I am thinking yes...but I don't know how look any other mount for some other housings)?

    P.S. I didn't get still yet any answer from S&S company about my question about UW housing for D4!!!

     

    This is educated guess work - I've not done any of this.

     

    I think to change it from Sea & Sea to a Nauticam then you just undo the allen key bolts around the side and bolt on a Nauticam adaptor instead. There is probably a o-ring in there too.

     

    To change to other mounts it probably requires a new backplate on the port. Which would be much cheaper than buying a new port. I am sure Ryan or someone from Reef Photo (who are the guys behind the Zen dome series) can confirm this is possible and give an indication on price.

     

    The other option is to sell your existing port (quality domes tend to hold their value well) and buy a new one. I know that your dome is in perfect condition (I even have photos) - better than new. No tape anywhere! :-)

     

    -----------

     

    To get back to the main question - I think for the time being the best option is to wait. It is easy to identify the 3-5 housing companies that are doing D4 housings - that you would consider. And I am sure we'll start seeing housing designs very soon.

     

    I don't see the D4 being hugely popular underwater (I see far more people using the D800, for many well documented reasons). It will be adopted by those who recognise and need its specific abilities. As a result - I don't think there will be big waiting lists on D4 housings, so there is time to see the options and then make a choice.

     

    I have not seen any D4 (or D800) housing renderings yet. But I suspect that we'll see some housing designs on the front page of Wetpixel coming out very soon.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. Good to read the clarification on Sea & Sea's position.

  16. First piece of SUBAL ND4...is in my hands smile.png Also super professional SUBAL team fixed my ZEN port from Sea&Sea to SUBAL and now everything is ready for first dives...I can't wait smile.png

    P.S. This housing is on MUCH, MUCH higher level then all other housings!

    post-12935-0-40068100-1345029214_thumb.jpg

    post-12935-0-98240500-1345029227_thumb.jpg

    Edited by EXTREME
  17. So Subal have gone over to the dark side. Looking forward to seeing some spectacular D4 images!

    Does this housing have any additional bulkheads besides the two that are visible for video out / tethering etc?

    Edited by loftus
  18. So Subal have gone over to the dark side.

     

    I think they look better in black than in their typical grey...

     

    Does this housing have any additional bulkheads besides the two that are visible for video out / tethering etc?

     

    It must have many more since "This housing is on MUCH, MUCH higher level then all other housings!" tongue.png

     

    Joking aside, it seems like it does on the bottom right hand side?

  19. I think black is back too! That creamy beige gray color they had before did not do it for me

     

    Jeff, if I remember correctly, there were 2 port holes on the left side too. But this was the prototype so the final could well be different.

  20. They are still yet in their grey color. This housing is custom made for me (that's reason why is black :) ).

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.