Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

SmallHD DP4 - DP6

Started by Alexx ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

SmallHD DP4 - DP6

24 posts
  1. Hy guys,

     

    Looks like SmallHD DP monitors has become quite popular on the market. I was wondering if some of the leading housing manufacturers gonna make housing for DP4 or DP6 in near future? Any rumors going around maybe?

     

     

    Cheers

     

    Dive safe

  2. I wonder if Nauticam`s DP4 housing can be used with Aquatica camera housing? Can Nauticam housing bulkhead connector (for HDMI cable) be installed on Aquatica?

    Edited by Alexx
  3. I wonder if Nauticam`s DP4 housing can be used with Aquatica camera housing? Can Nauticam housing bulkhead connector (for HDMI cable) be installed on Aquatica?

     

    I think you can read it somewhere, i believe it is Backscatter, where you can read which housings are compatible.

     

    Is it possible to change a bulkhead to a HDMI bulkhead on any DSLR housings aswell??

     

     

     

    Søren

  4. I wonder if Nauticam`s DP4 housing can be used with Aquatica camera housing? Can Nauticam housing bulkhead connector (for HDMI cable) be installed on Aquatica?

     

    Yes, this will be possible - we are getting ready to produce a 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica - should be out soon. There also needs to be enough space for the HDMI connector inside the housing where the HDMI connects. We have a proper 90º connector that makes it possible for a lot of housings, but it might still be too tight on some.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  5. Yes, this will be possible - we are getting ready to produce a 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica - should be out soon. There also needs to be enough space for the HDMI connector inside the housing where the HDMI connects. We have a proper 90º connector that makes it possible for a lot of housings, but it might still be too tight on some.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

     

    When will the shade be available for the Nauticam DP4 housing?

  6. Just in case anybody has been looking at these, it appears that SmallHD has dropped their prices on the DP4 by $100. Not sure if this is just a temporary thing or if they plan to keep them at this price, but it may help somebody "pull the trigger".

  7. Yes, this will be possible - we are getting ready to produce a 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica - should be out soon. There also needs to be enough space for the HDMI connector inside the housing where the HDMI connects. We have a proper 90º connector that makes it possible for a lot of housings, but it might still be too tight on some.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

     

    When do you think that adapter will be ready?

  8. Anyone know if there is a DP6 housing in the works?

  9. Yes, this will be possible - we are getting ready to produce a 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica - should be out soon. There also needs to be enough space for the HDMI connector inside the housing where the HDMI connects. We have a proper 90º connector that makes it possible for a lot of housings, but it might still be too tight on some.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

     

    Hy Cp,

     

    What is the progress of 1/2" bulkhead for Aquatica housings?

     

    Thank you

  10. post-23965-0-29922800-1342877561_thumb.jpg

     

    Note to future DP4 monitor buyer (Canon user):

     

    I know somebody already mention this on article but...

    If you want use DP4 with Canon 7D or 5DMK2/3, ask them (SmallHD) you want modded DP4 for 7D.

    When I just purchased monitor last Feb, my 7D often felt to Error 80 (locks up the camera. MUST pull battery to reset.) if I forgot to turn on camera first then monitor.

    And other problem, camera's lcd is always off when dp4 connected via hdmi cable(If dp4's battery going out then you're blind).

    It happend few times underwater and I forced back to the boat when I was in Ambon/Lembeh last Mar.

    After trip, I sent it back to SmallHD and they quickly send me "modded DP4 for 7D"(it's doesn't have problem and works even better w/ 5dmk3 then standard version).

     

    Reference.

    Error 80 on Canon 7D with DP4:

    http://www.smallhd.c...5895/KB.7809/.f

    Edited by escape
  11. EunJae, did you get some problem with a melted battery with this monitor? Did you find the cause?

  12. EunJae, did you get some problem with a melted battery with this monitor? Did you find the cause?

     

    The DP4 does get quite hot when it's running.

    Melted battery was non-genuine LP-E6 from ebay, DP4 run by two batt and other genuine one was ok.

  13. post-23965-0-29922800-1342877561_thumb.jpg

     

    Note to future DP4 monitor buyer (Canon user):

     

    I know somebody already mention this on article but...

    If you want use DP4 with Canon 7D or 5DMK2/3, ask them (SmallHD) you want modded DP4 for 7D.

    When I just purchased monitor last Feb, my 7D often felt to Error 80 (locks up the camera. MUST pull battery to reset.) if I forgot to turn on camera first then monitor.

    And other problem, camera's lcd is always off when dp4 connected via hdmi cable(If dp4's battery going out then you're blind).

    It happend few times underwater and I forced back to the boat when I was in Ambon/Lembeh last Mar.

    After trip, I sent it back to SmallHD and they quickly send me "modded DP4 for 7D"(it's doesn't have problem and works even better w/ 5dmk3 then standard version).

     

    Reference.

    Error 80 on Canon 7D with DP4:

    http://www.smallhd.c...5895/KB.7809/.f

     

     

    Hy, I have the same problem with mine DP4. They told me that it is Canons issue and that they cant do anything about it! What did they modded on DP4? mine works always if I first start camera then monitor. Always before dive I need to start camera then monitor and finaly attach HDMI cable to camera and close housing.. It is pain in the %&/!

     

    Thanks

  14. Alexx, tell them you‘re using it underwater. I missed some really nice behavior scene because camera locked up. Now I can comfortably on/off monitor and camera underwater for conservation battery.

    Edited by escape
  15. Looks like the GH2 (hacked version) has some problems too. Need to switch DP4 on and then toggle to HDMI input and then turn camera on. Otherwise no video sync. Once that is done DP4 could be turn off and on without sync loss.

     

    Tried with 5D MIII and D800. No issues.

     

    I love the look of their DP7-Pro...amazing features. .

     

    Cheers

     

    David

  16. Just another OK check-works fine with Nikon D7000 and D800.

     

    As you are using the raw video feed on the latter, you lose all the info displays. However, the camera's LCD stays on and gives the info if you need it.

     

    One small point- my NA-DP4 is an early prototype, and when I changed the battery plate to take the Nikon EN-EL batteries, had to do a minor modification to get it to fit. I just trimmed back very slightly the monitor support. It may well be that newer housings do not have the problem, but it is worth checking before you try and close it miles out at sea....

     

    Adam

  17. Hy, does someone know can NA-DP4 housing be connected with Aquatica housing. Previous in the thread member "Cp" said that they are producing 1/2" bulkhead for housings like Aquatica, but since then no word from him...

     

    I am anxious to buy the housing but I don't know will I be able to connect it?

     

    Thank you

  18. The newer version of DP4 doesn't have this problem.

    Recently, I order another one for my friend and this is what I got from their support dept.

    "All of our DP4's now* come with that mod so you are good to go".

     

     

    post-23965-0-29922800-1342877561_thumb.jpg

     

    Note to future DP4 monitor buyer (Canon user):

     

    I know somebody already mention this on article but...

    If you want use DP4 with Canon 7D or 5DMK2/3, ask them (SmallHD) you want modded DP4 for 7D.

    When I just purchased monitor last Feb, my 7D often felt to Error 80 (locks up the camera. MUST pull battery to reset.) if I forgot to turn on camera first then monitor.

    And other problem, camera's lcd is always off when dp4 connected via hdmi cable(If dp4's battery going out then you're blind).

    It happend few times underwater and I forced back to the boat when I was in Ambon/Lembeh last Mar.

    After trip, I sent it back to SmallHD and they quickly send me "modded DP4 for 7D"(it's doesn't have problem and works even better w/ 5dmk3 then standard version).

     

    Reference.

    Error 80 on Canon 7D with DP4:

    http://www.smallhd.c...5895/KB.7809/.f

  19. I was just about to send you an email of complaint!

     

    Thanks for clarifying, EJ.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.