Paul:
If you're asking me, I just sprung for a Solidoodle v2. This is my first real exploration into this space, so I didn't want to go all crazy and try to build up from scratch, especially at the price offered.
(I'm familiar with 3D modeling from work - I do electromagnetic analysis with FEM software, and have had several rapid prototypes built of parts there as well, but the ME department generally handles those. The software I use is based on the ACIS kernel same as AutoCAD etc. but doesn't output STLs, so they generally do it with the "real" ME databases from Solidworks. Anyway, the STL conversion and then 'rastering' of the solids is the only part I'm not that familiar with yet.)
Per the website the Solidoodle is based on the RepRap Sanguinololu v1.3a Electronics with a Nichrome extruder, should have positional accuracy of around .01- .015mm, Z layering of .1mm. Nozzle head is .35mm though so depending on temp and flow rate, I'm not counting on a part resolution much better than that to start with. Any sort of threading will obviously be post machined or inserts, and gear teeth might need a nice acetone wipedown to 'deburr'.
Here's some of the part ideas I came up with so far:
- Hotshoe mount for Sony (not the 'standard') for an LED mini-strobe atop the camera in housing
- Top ball mount fitting for holding fiberoptics to Ike housing
- Replacement threaded cover 'caps' for Inon strobes to hold fiberoptics (I'm cheap - would rather DIY from S/PDIF cables, and the Inon sensor covers cost $15-20 by the time you get them shipped....I can probably make new butt ends for the ones I have vs. buying, as I experiment with different FO or break them like I did my first DIY attempt.)
- Zoom gear/sleeves as mentioned before. Currently the 8-16mm (Sigma) WA works fairly well by just fitting the larger-flanged Ike gear sleeve right over it (no clamp) but I did have to cut it back to avoid hitting the MF/AF switch, and a better arrangement would be nice. Would also custom-make sleeve/gears for a 105mm and maybe my 17-70mm (wasn't too thrilled with how well it shot underwater anyway...need to rethink my medium range lens options)
- Protective cover for a small dome port.
- Possibly replacement shade for above - add snap-in 'teeth' to outside faces for cover to lock onto easily (?)
- Compass/watch/spare computer mount point for housing
- I liked Margo's ideas for "nonvertical" handles in another thread....might play with that eventually
- For above water, would like to come up with a pistol-grip arrangement for my huge and heavy 150mm-500mm lens, preferrably also find a way to gear the focus down to a thumbwheel or something on the grip. The A55 is ridiculously light compared to the lens, so a pistol grip on the camera doesn't make as much sense as adding one to the existing tripod support for the lens.
- A small palmsize split-ring 'wrench' as a dive tool for tightening or removing reg hoses at the first stage...seen them about the size of a socket on the interior but a bit more thick walled and textured on the outer surface for better grip leverage.
- Snoots, maybe ring-flash hardware
- Plastic cockroaches and crickets - terrorize the wife and cats. That one's just for giggles...
- The ubiquitous lens cap holder for a camera strap, in different sizes....
- A tamping support for an espresso portafilter handle for this beast: http://www.rocket-es...s/premium-plus/ (Actually we only have the V1 with just the boiler pressure gauge, not the second brewhead gauge....hmmphf, not tempted to upgrade. NOT. Nope. Not....(much). )
- Misc. cable-chain parts in different diameters for the AV and computer systems. Might also double as FO management in the event of a ring-flash attempt.
...None of the above justifies the purchase of a 3D printer, of course....it's just the excuse for a new toy.