Printer finally arrived. Got its software configured and after a couple false starts have the print head moving in X and Y freely and the table in Z. Haven't calibrated table to extruder distance yet.
The downside - no filament to print with! My order is backordered. Will probably put in an order from somewhere else this weekend so I can get started sometime next week.
Google/Trimble Sketchup may not be a very functional 3D modeler. Watching the how to videos it seems great, but in action, trying to do things like produce a conical hole in a solid seem to result in a lot of missing faces or other errors. Perhaps clean-able, but I'm looking for other 3D modeling options. Found links for a couple other inexpensive 3D cad tools...well, relatively. AutoDesk has 123D, which is (or appears to be) free, so far just downloaded and watched one of the videos but haven't installed yet. Not sure I like what I see, its another 'easy peezy sexed up fast interface' (why does all modern software UI seem crafted for the computer gamer or touchscreen / tablet set, and sacrifice precision and utility??) but might have some of the same issues I'm having with Sketchup. Alibre personal-edition looks like a really well-rounded parametric 3D modeling suite...but at $200 it better be, I really didn't want to spend that much. They do offer a trial so I'll probably download and get myself hooked.
Open to other suggestions. "Real" CAD suites like AutoCAD Inventor, Solidworks, Pro/E, etc. are just out of my price range for home use.
First project will probably be something simple (after a couple calibration parts): a tamp stand for our espresso maker portafilter and handle. Basically a small table with a conical and half-cylindrical depression cut out the top and thru-hole for the nozzle so you can tamp the puck without it rocking all over the place. Shouldn't require much precision. After that , start thinking my way thru camera-related parts I want.