Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Tonga Humpbacks

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Tonga Humpbacks

33 posts
  1. Powerful

  2. That must have been a great experience....I hope to have the opportunity to see something remotely close to that one day!

  3. Or "check my filter"

     

    mounted.jpg

     

     

     

    Bleeding heck!!!

     

    Dean

  4. Fabulous! Thanks for posting.

  5. Some clips from August in Tonga.....

     

     

    Awesome Jon! Has the Scarlet met your expectations?

     

    Nothing has moved me as much as seeing a Humpback mother and calf underwater at Silver Banks. I think its the only time I've put the camera aside, stopped filming and just been overwhelmed with what was going on in front of me. Tonga looks amazing. Snorkeling?

     

    Cheers, Simon

  6. Thanks again guys,

    It has Simon, the grading is tough but the end result is great. Shooting in RAW underwater is great and the latitude that you have is amazing. I though file size and data handling would be a nightmare but it is actually pretty straightforward.

  7. Jonny, are you on CS5.5 or 6? Have you tried Resolve to color grade? If you don't have Resolve, try Speed Grade. It works natively with .r3d (well thru EDL import but still!) and it's pretty decent as a grader/corrector. I noticed the banding in the blues. Were there any in the .r3d file?

  8. I am using 5.5 Drew but I do have 6, I just haven't gort around to upgrading and installing. I am doing most of the grading in Redcine X Pro and it works ok but I really do need to learn resolve. I have it installed I just haven't had time to play with it. It's funny I met Howard Hall in Tonga and we discussed the issues with grading and he reckons that Apple Color does a way better job than RCX and produces sharper results.

  9. Yes well RCXP isn't optimal for full grading but a tool to get a look going and export to full grader/correctors like Color and Resolve. Color's UI is a bit easier to learn but Resolve is faster with CUDA acceleration. Go try v.9.

    If you have CS6 then Speed Grade should do well. If you export in EDL in PPro to Speed Grade, you'll find it works natively as well.

  10. Great shots Jon.

  11. Thanks for the advice Drew I will try that and thanks Nick

  12. Great stuff.....Looks like a place i need to go to..

  13. Thanks Wags and too bloody right, why not come with me next year, I will be there for the last weeks in August.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.