What then is the suggested port & extension set up to use the 70-180 with a Nauticam housing?
- 51Posts
- 51Replies
Read-only discussion
Subal ND800
-
-
My planned solution (not got all the bits yet, but should work I believe):
- Anthis Nexus MP105-5 port (115mm length, 90mm front diameter, M5 housing mount)
- Anthis Nexus AE60-7 port extension (60mm)
- Nauticam-Nexus M5 port adapter
- Nauticam TN1017-Z+1.4 zoom gear
That zoom gear it meant for another lens, but fits snugly over a grip rubber without the inner plastic part. If using the Anthis zoom gear (ZGP-N70/180) then you can also get the Nauticam-Nexus 80mm adapter to fit over it to fit the Nauticam gear.
-
My planned solution (not got all the bits yet, but should work I believe):
- Anthis Nexus MP105-5 port (115mm length, 90mm front diameter, M5 housing mount)
- Anthis Nexus AE60-7 port extension (60mm)
- Nauticam-Nexus M5 port adapter
- Nauticam TN1017-Z+1.4 zoom gear
That zoom gear it meant for another lens, but fits snugly over a grip rubber without the inner plastic part. If using the Anthis zoom gear (ZGP-N70/180) then you can also get the Nauticam-Nexus 80mm adapter to fit over it to fit the Nauticam gear.
That's a super-long mass in the front! Are you going to use a "float-belt" around the extensions to assist with buoyancy? My wrists & forearms are hurting just thinking about that port contraption!
-
Yes, it's quite a front-heavy configuration, but I had the same when using just the Nexus and it was manageable underwater, if a little cumbersome. The optical benefits outweighed the inconvenience, and yes I do have a float-belt for it. Definitely a wrist challenge though, especially while waiting ages for that tiny critter to perform, and therefore a rig best used from clear sandy seabed, not while trying to hover over pristine reef.
-
Hi, Clownfish, May I know what ports you have testing for the Nikon 70-180mm? I am interested on this lens and I would like to find one for uw macro under limit budget. I have the Nauticam Nikon 105mm port (N105VR-F) and Nauticam 70mm extension port (21170). By the spec in the web, the 2 lens length difference is 51mm (116mm, 167mm). May I have your testing configuration as an refer? Thanks a million.
-
My first attempt at housing the lens on Nauticam was with the Macro 60 port, and a 30mm & 70mm extensions. My choices were made to allow future flexibility for also housing Nikkor 60mm & 105mm VR lenses. However, this combination was very slightly too short when the lens was fully extended (max zoom, closest focus), so it needed an additional 10mm extension. Unfortunately this combination produces substantial vignetting across all focal lengths.
My next attempt will reuse the old Nexus macro port configuration I have for this lens, and a Nauticam-Nexus M5 adapter. The advantage is that the macro port is much slimmer, and I already know it doesn't produce vignetting.
Stan
-
Thanks, Clownfish ^^
-
The issue it seems is that the Nauticam macro port has a 67mm thread so a narrower glass front than the Nexus port (90mm). Another solution if you don’t own the Nexus port would be to use the Nauticam compact port and compact port base which has a front glass diameter of 100mm.
-
The issue it seems is that the Nauticam macro port has a 67mm thread so a narrower glass front than the Nexus port (90mm). Another solution if you dont own the Nexus port would be to use the Nauticam compact port and compact port base which has a front glass diameter of 100mm.
What is the total length of flat port/ extension/ base that is needed?
The Nauticam compact port comes as 15, 30, & 50mm versions.
The Nauticam compact port base adds ? In length??
-
http://www.nauticam.com.au/products/slr-accessories/ports/index.html
Nauticam compact port base #18211 - 42.5mm ?
-
^^ Thanks pygmy.
What the total port length needed for the Nikon 70-180 micro lens?
Is 172.5mm total length, with a 100mm front glass diameter, likely to give vignetting?