James Cameron's Titanic in 3D was a hit inSingapore at least. Again! I like the film as it is in 2D as the story and feeling in that film is more than enough for me. Lets take another example say the Life of Pi, directed by Ang Lee. If you have not watch that movie it is worth watching IMHO. Its good in 3D or 2D. The visual effects is just stunning. I read the book and I actually like the film more. The scene with the ship sinking and the boy floating in mid-water is probably the coolest clip I have seen in years. The animals especially the Tiger is mostly 3D computer generated. Most of the scenes with animals in that film is. Okay the night scene and the leap of the glowing Humpy is artistic license. I could not tell the difference most of the time what is real and what is generated. Its so seamless.
Okay 3D conversion at that level may not be practical now for everyone. Still early days. But hey computing is getting more powerful and cheaper. Just my hunch that more and more of this is going into 3D film production. It is happening in the US and now spreading in Asia film industry. I am still a fan of live 3D acquisition. It is very difficult to do correctly and there is something more satisfying shooting with real rigs and crew. May be it is because my computing knowledge sucks more than my shooting skills.
Certainly with my other hat as a transport architect my team regularly have to create 3D environments, textures and landscapes for clients' approval. 3D photorealistic stuff and even some projects needing walk throughs in 3D TV displays all to get the message across. Came a long way since those little cardboard models. This kind of 3D animation is still relegated to very big budget jobs. If you happen to ride the MRT during ADEX to Marina Bay south station you could see the Bubble cushion roof our team has built. All of that in the design stage was created inside 3D space and "filmed" and approved by the client before the contractor could built it. All with passengers and animated walk throughs and music. Like a film clip. I wish I could show that but that render belongs to the client. I was pretty impressed with the whizz kids who did that.
From what I have learnt so far 3D creation inside a computer animated world is similar to shooting 3D in the real world. Some programs even let you create and use a 3D rig to shoot. Just like shooting with real world cameras except setting is done vis the keyboard and you could set the IO (or more correctly Interaxial) like a real rig. Any focal length of lenses even tilt shift. One of the most interesting thing about this type of 3D creation is you do away with the need for beamsplitter rig. Almost all is done using a side by side. IO could be as close or as far apart as you like. Everything works perfectly
. Lighting is also created like the real world including sun angle and atmospheric conditions or artificial lights. It is a fascinating industry in its own right and seems to have cross over to many other industries such as film and media. I have know friends started out in design school and went to do just 3D animation. I am just saying that 3D conversion is here and still need some gestation and development before it become more widespread and more affordable. Its another choice me thinks.
Cheers
D