Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Remote shooting in a River

Started by Bentoni ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Remote shooting in a River

24 posts
  1. Not reading the whole thread but Aquatica sells a remote trigger. I've also rigged up some fishing line in the past to physically pull the shutter lever.

  2. Does your camera have wifi and an app to be able to remotely trigger the camera? You can use a coaxial cable to carry wifi signal underwater to a phone or tablet topside. Works decently well with gopros.

  3. I saw that Aquatica provides a solution, but was interested if someone else with a Nauti ran into the same issues and how he handled it(and hoped for a ready to go solution :)). But as it seems at the moment I will build my own as soon as I need it.

  4. On 4/10/2019 at 12:58 AM, Driftc said:

    Hey everyone, I wanted to revisit this topic to see if there are any advancements since the last post (coming up on 5 years ago!) Has anyone else (...besides Tom Kline) found a way to set up a remote trigger (especially wireless) for these purposes?

    Yes. It is not ideal, but I am using Nikon's Snapbridge (wireless control in to smartphone). Whilst it is slow, and it's not instant, if you're shooting any slow moving or stationary subjects, it works on the surface IN housing as it uses Wifi. I've tested it at home in the tub with 3-4m distance, and it's reliable enough, but slow. Live view requires more battery and is MUCH slower, AF is worse and it requires a focus light - many downsides.

     

    I would not recommend this approach if you shoot action.

     

     

    However, you can use a gopro with "live view" attached to your camera and use that as an indicator of framing, then use a mechanical shutter to trigger the camera. Have a look at this: 

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.