Hi 121,
As I said I am not into UW photography much.
What I gather from Oskar post is :
How do you find the internal strobe recycle time when used as trigger for external strobes?
1.548 seconds average I get, with setting as FILL flash. Inon set in sTTL mode.
I do not understand this statement of yours 121......
The other question of the OP is around using the strobe in manual mode as the RX100 has TTL also in manual mode (advantage but also disadvantage) non TTL strobe can give strange results, in those cases it would be better to use the internal flash in manual minimum setting and then turn the power on the strobe knob to set power however the RX100 does not offer a manual flash mode so this mode can create problems with a non TTL strobe
Since RX100 has no hot shoe for data transfer to external strobe nor the setting of its internal flash has any menu called TTL, what TTL data output are you talking about from RX100 ? I am sure its metering of exposure either in ambient light or flash assisted is thru the lens aka TTL ( what else will it use ?? ) , but how the true TTL data can be transferred to an external strobe ?? How ?
When one speak of TTL for a strobe, it is TTL data for the strobe from the camera being the subject, hence you confused me with your statement which implies RX100 has TTL data to pass on to a strobe.
As far as my limited knowledge on strobes allows me, the true TTL of a camera body which can communicate with an extrenal strobe, must be transferred electrically by hard electrical wire and those using Fiber Optic are simulated TTL by the strobe itself. Inon sTTL is not a true TTL but intelligent it is YES and to use that intelligence , we must set the camera for pre-flash function. That is what Inon literature stated.
Hot shoe connection from camera to external strobe, without a strobe able to read or understand each and every proprietary TTL data from the camera, will be a simple ON trigger only. Like a dummy trigger. Inon Z240 can read Nikonos TTL, the film type. I do not know if it is any different TTL for Nikon digital camera of today.
http://www.inon.jp/p...e/z240/top.html
Inon Z240 does not have electrical TTL data converter capability aside from that Nikonos TTL film type Inon Japan mentioned. I know my friend told me that, if using Sea&Sea electrical cable to Inon using Canon 5DMK3, it is merely a dummy trigger just to fire the Inon Z240 and no Canon's specific TTL data can be forwarded to Inon Z240.
I know Ike has TTL converter and Sea&Sea too and these are true TTL, allowing camera body and strobe do speak to each other sending exposure data, at least this is my understanding of a true TTL. How accurate each brand so called TTL converter is, I don't know, I don't own any and will never buy any in the day of age of Z240 being so intelligent.
http://www.ikelite.c...tl_adapter.html
http://www.uwphotogr.../ttl-converters
So if Oskar is asking how fast an RX100 can generate a flash for a signal to trigger an external strobe, whatever brand is the strobe used and whatever the mode used on the external strobe..............the answer lies with what external strobe he uses, it got nothing to do with RX100 being slow as 1.5ish seconds per cycle is not slow. Again as I said, RX100 is the master strobe, it can not be effected by whatever slave/external strobe used if we are talking of RX100 own internal flash recycle speed based on the fact that we can choose the fastest RX100 flash recycle mode. I don't know if FILL flash is actually fastest or not. I so happen to test it with FILL flash because my logic tells me it is most likely the fastest for flash recycle speed based on RX100 menu of :
AUTO, FILL , SLOW & REAR
So if Oskar is sort of confused............
The bluwaterphotostore review mentioned that it was clearly slow, but got better when used with the Sea & Sea strobe SY-D01.
This sounds very strange to me, but i guess this could be true if used in TTL mode.
.......... I too will be confused reading such review as there is no logic to it if we are discussing RX100 internal strobe.
No suprise Oskar started the post in the 1st place, he need to verify the logic or truth of that information.
.