Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Tripods

Started by matt215 ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Tripods

24 posts
  1. What has been your experience with tripods? Are they too bulky to be practical underwater? Or are they indispensable when it comes to macro photography and video.

     

    I've got a trip to lembeh scheduled an I am debating whether to get one...

  2. Im not really sure that I see the use for macro photography where shutter speed, strobe speed and the ability to move freely to keep up with your subject are going to get you more results. On the other hand, acro video done without a tripod is pretty difficult to watch (kind of like the "Blair Witch Project" on steroids due to all the movement that will be apparent at that scale). Im curious as to what others will post here as I have had the same question in the past. I have often thought of buying a cheapie K-mart tripod as a disposable item for low light interiors shipwreck photography, but as of yet haven't tried it. Never really thought of using one on the reef but Im always looking for new angles to get interesting shots.

  3. I am giving a talk on using tripods for creative underwater still photography on Wednesday evening in London.

     

    http://www.bsoup.org/News.php#BSoUPMarch

     

    Not much use to those that don't live close to London.

     

    Alex

  4. I once had a gyroscope that mounted on the bottom of my (still) camera to give a Steadycam effect. I wonder it it would be possible to get one housed and fitted under a camera housing?

  5. I've just discovered that my gorilla pod will attach to my housing. Apparently they are made of aluminum and stainless steel. I think I have my tripod.

  6. I use one for wide angle long exposures sometimes. The issue is not so much the tripod, but carrying around the extra block of lead that I attach to it to keep everything steady when I let go of the camera. A bit of string on each end and some clips make them easier to carry when not being used.

     

    Mine is all aluminium (even the rivets and leg fastenings) and 30 years old with repeated dunkings and no rust.

  7. Hi Matt, I did read that Gorillapod is a better choice since it's flexible to bend for all weird terrain. I will bring one to Lembeth in May as well to try it for the first time, so please report back how you feel about the Gorillapod, I will be using it for video. Also, I'm considering adding the ball head, and this one is what I have:

     

    http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Bubble-Level-SLR-Zoom-Gorillapods/dp/B002CVU4G0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1363620689&sr=8-16&keywords=gorilla+pod

     

    The knob to lock the ball head is very smooth, just a light twist and it lock the ball head in place. I like it because it would be fast to orient the camera for different angle, or pan around if I need to follow the subject. I'm however, not sure if it's completely water/rust proof. Do you have experience with it?

  8. The Gorilla Pod has the advantage of being cheap and ligth. I have played with the idea of using it UW.

    Being cheap is interesting, since I would assume that any Tripod would not last long in Saltwater.

     

    There is also the possibility of the Xit type of solution. A plate with some strobe arms as legs.

    This one would not rust away.

  9. What about the Xit404 tripods? Any experience? Good or bad?

  10. Anyone uses tripods for timelapse photography underwater?

  11. If you want the rust proof solution, ULCS makes a tripot adapter, the AC-TRI, and it's cheap:

    http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=491

     

    You can turn 3 ball joint arms into tripod legs, but again, it's not as flexible as the Gorilla Pod.

    I have the ULCS tripod adapter with three 12" legs. Like new condition and not being used so willing to part with it for $100. PM me if interested

    Edited by AndreSmith
  12. The XIT tripod at least for video is quite nice and their adjusting legs are also quite good, but a lot of $

    Bill

  13. I use the xit404 tripod with the adjustable twist clamp legs. Yes it's expensive, but it is worth every penny. The wide base is what makes it so stable vs the gorilla pods, or ulcs. The xit is very versatile. The only complaint I have is when the legs are fully extended it is very hard to adjust and remain stable. But that doesn't happen very often.

     

    Dustin

  14. I use this set up, it has the benefit of a very large base and I use it as tray as well

    post-34353-0-23016800-1368219413_thumb.jpg

    The tripod screw on my tray is not in the center and this means that it would trip

    I have used this in Lembeh in fact for video. For stills you don't need it

    Edited by Interceptor121
  15. I have a gorillapod, the one for DSLRs, which I use underwater relatively regularly, I thorough;y wash it out (and allow it to drip dry) ASAP after use and, thus far, no rust that I can see. It seems to work well but, as someone else said, you need to anchor any tripod used u/w fairly well. It's a bit of a problem if they start to float away!

  16. Does anyone know which XIT404 kit (base) fits the Nauticam Flexitray II W (with the Tripod hole)

    Rich

  17. Hi I did this (see pic) in January this year using my D800 on a 30s exposure. Found it quite affective and although it cost me a few night dives i think it was worth it.

    I also did light trails over a wreck that was truly awesome and I've yet to show them. :bye:

     

    I used a giottos tripod it had the strength to hold my D800 still along with the weight belt hung on the bottom. The dive was over an hour at 12m and took at least 12 exposures to get right (at the time but i did kinda settle for the second image i took)

     

    Ive never used it for macro as I had my wide angle head on but i suppose there would be a call for it.

     

    Hope you like it. :lol2:

     

    Goose

     

    post-34359-0-96116500-1400525188_thumb.jpg

  18. That's definitely an interesting, and unusual image. Thanks for sharing it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.