Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Tripods

Started by matt215 ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Tripods

24 posts
  1. Hi I did this (see pic) in January this year using my D800 on a 30s exposure. Found it quite affective and although it cost me a few night dives i think it was worth it.

     

    Fascinating, Goose: but was it worth all that effort? Did you enjoy the dive?

     

    I found divers in Truk missing the best subjects (in my opinion, I know) because they were perfecting a photographically challenging shot of something less than iconic of Truk, something intrinsically less interesting or that could be seen at easier (and cheaper) destinations...

    Edited by tdpriest
  2. Hi tdpriest,

     

    I thought it was a good idea to try as i am into the long shutter speed thing above water as you know, but does the image have any true value probraly not but in all honestly i was bored with the same old night dive and wanted to try something different and i am pleased with the results of my efforts even on the lighting up of the wreck. I know Alex has put the technique to good use and rightly so because he is the bollocks and won the competition in Germany with his jack shot.

     

    Im not in it for the what can i win thing I'm not a pro and would not want to be, thats not my bag but is there use for tripods under water i think yes, providing you go down with a plan and stick to it, i did and got the result i wanted out of the idea i thought up and that to me is the important thing i value the most.

     

    Always have a plan.

     

     

    Goose

  3. I use an ultralight Tripod Triple clamp. Is has a 1/4 20 bolt coming out of it and I have mounted both a camera housing or slave strobe to a clamp to it.
    on ulcs.com

    AC-TRI - Tripod clamp, has cut outs in the bottom piece to allow for arms to be
    used as legs of the tripod so the tripod can be laid completely flat
    See tripod on what's new page

    it is multi purpose and will work with ball mount arms that you probobly already own

  4. I used a Gates tripod for the time-lapse and static shots in this film. Big problem was stopping the rig sinking into the incredibly soft sediment of the lake.

    https://vimeo.com/69592467

     

     

    I've since started to use the base plate attached to a Nauticam 5D3 for static shots in Mangroves with some success.

     

    Richard

    Edited by RWBrooks

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.