Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17 for sharks. mini dome or 8"?

Started by Matt Sullivan ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17 for sharks. mini dome or 8"?

28 posts
  1. Hey guys,

     

    Im just wondering what everyone's favorite lens and wide angle ports are for sharks.

     

    I have the tokina 10-17mm and am trying to decide if that is acceptable for sharks or if it is too wide. Also trying to decide between the zen mini dome and ikelite 8" dome port. I've read all the mini dome threads and (keeping in mind i've never used it) i think with some work it could be an effective shark dome IF you have good light and can control the aperture correctly. specifically im thinking about blue sharks and makos up here in new england that im going to hopefully be diving with this summer break. Im also diving blue heron in florida in a few months so thats why the mini dome is an option for me is because i do a lot of macro diving. I'd prefer to not have to spend another $500 on an 8" ikelite dome in addition to the zen dome if the mini dome will be acceptable and if they tokina is an adequate shark lens

    thanks for any help

    Matt

    Edited by MSully
  2. The 10-17mm is too wide for sharks, but a wonderful lens. My shark lens is a 17-55 Nikonf2.8. You might get by with a 1.4 tele-extender for the 10-17. I have the 100mm Zen minidome. It is made for the Tokina 10-17, and works great with it, but probably will not work well with other lenses. For macro, you will need something like 60mm, and a flat port.

     

    Hal

  3. thanks! yah i figured itd be too wide but thought id ask anyway. i have the 100mm macro with the flat port so im set there but i might get the 1.4 TC for the 10-17 more for WAM and CFWA than for sharks etc. Ill look into what the canon equivalent of the 17-55 is and the best port for it, thank you for that recommendation!

  4. if i got the kenko 1.4 TC and the mini dome would i need an extension ring for the port so that the lens and TC fit inside it or would it all fit without the extra ring?

  5. Where are you diving with Sharks Matt? I've had good luck with the 10-17 but I guess it would depend some on the location and species.

    All of these were shot with the Tokina 10-17

     

     

    Steve

  6. For DX the Tokina 10-17 would be my favourite lens. Nowadays I use the Sigma 15 on FX. You gotta hold your nerve and "wait until you see the whites of their eyes".

    post-4197-0-03958300-1363929285_thumb.jpg

  7. I'm very interested in this thread as well. I fully appreciate that the best shots come when you're on specialist shark dives such as JASA trips or the Great Hammerheads John has recently shot, but what about other 'regular' dives?

     

    In my example, I'm off to the Maldives later this year so in the 'Kandu's' I've often seen reef sharks just out of range for the tokina, but am considering adding a 10-22mm for this purpose.

     

    I'll just be using an 8" dome for these - can't stretch to 2 domes right now

     

    Mike

    Edited by pooley
  8. I've shot many good shark pics with 6' Sea&sea compact dome without any ext' rings or diopters with the 10-17 + D300.

    I think the 10-17 is a bit too short, but the quality is very good.

    Edited by udi62
  9. Both of these images were obtained using the Sea & Sea 6 inch glass port. The Galapagos shark was shot using the 15 Sigma on a D800 while the Oceanic Whitetip was shot with a Tokina 10-17 on a D200.

    post-4197-0-95843500-1363953481_thumb.jpg

    post-4197-0-78429700-1363953628_thumb.jpg

  10. I dont think the Tokina is too wide for Sharks. But it mainly comes down to where and what kind of sharks your shooting. I find that any shark that is outside of the range of the 10-17mm is too far away for strobes to light up anyway. The whole idea of shooting wide is to reduce the distance between the subject and the lens for strobe coverage and fitting that subject and in the case of sharks often a large subject into the frame. Having a narrower wide zoom is more suited for strobeless shots in clear water near the surface.

     

    I personally prefer the 8inch dome over a mini dome as it feels more balanced in the water and strobe placement is a little easier with the larger domes.

     

    Here are some unedited, non cropped Shark shots taken with the Tokina 10-17mm on my Nikon D7000 with the Tokina mainly at 10mm

    8269478762_974e2174c9_z.jpg

    8269450228_1af857039d_z.jpg

    6098686593_8992172876_z.jpg

     

    Regards Mark

  11. awesome thanks for all the help guys. and John and Mark those shots are awesome!

    But are those shots you guys are getting with the 6 and 8 inch domes impossible to get with a mini dome?

    For example, John in the hammerhead shot that's the bahamas so i assume clear water and sunlight? couldn't you then use the mini dome and stop down the aperture so that the whole frame is in focus including the corners and the shot wouldnt be too dark correct? i know this wouldnt work in murkier water but its just a thought

  12. Where are you diving with Sharks Matt? I've had good luck with the 10-17 but I guess it would depend some on the location and species.

    All of these were shot with the Tokina 10-17

     

     

    Steve

    Steve great shots what dome were you using the tokina behind to get them? the next place im going to get to dive with sharks is up here in new england over summer break for blues and makos

  13. MSully you can get the exact same shots which I took with either the 8inch and mini dome (mine is the Aquatica 100mm mini) with the Tokina 10-17mm. The only issue I have with the mini dome and shooting Sharks close is that the strobes neede to be pulled back more with the mini dome than the 8inch and the overal balance of the 8 inch dome feels better in my setup. The mini domes are made for CFWA and having a Shark only a few inches away from the dome is what I call close focus.

     

    Mini domes are more versatile as you can add a 1.4X TC for CFWA. Its also good for shooting sharks in cages as you can sqeeze the dome through the cage to get that shot which you couldnt with a larger dome. Basically you can do everything with a Tokina 10-17mm in a mini dome which a larger dome can do and more. Just need to be aware of your strobe positioning.

     

    Regards Mark

  14. Tokina 10-17 on the 7D with the small Zen dome, shot at f/7.1 @ 125th in the Cocos. The Tokina was at 17mm for this one;

     

     

    6025796633_90781cde43_z.jpg
    The Bahamas shark images were made using the S&S Fisheye dome with my 40D.
  15. MSully you can get the exact same shots which I took with either the 8inch and mini dome (mine is the Aquatica 100mm mini) with the Tokina 10-17mm. The only issue I have with the mini dome and shooting Sharks close is that the strobes neede to be pulled back more with the mini dome than the 8inch and the overal balance of the 8 inch dome feels better in my setup. The mini domes are made for CFWA and having a Shark only a few inches away from the dome is what I call close focus.

     

    Mini domes are more versatile as you can add a 1.4X TC for CFWA. Its also good for shooting sharks in cages as you can sqeeze the dome through the cage to get that shot which you couldnt with a larger dome. Basically you can do everything with a Tokina 10-17mm in a mini dome which a larger dome can do and more. Just need to be aware of your strobe positioning.

     

    Regards Mark

    probably the best response i've gotten haha thanks Mark. if i add a TC do you know if i need an extension ring or will the tc and lens all fit in the port without using extension?

    Steve, thats the exact set up ill be using (in ikelite) so thank you for that shot thats exactly the kind of shot i was hoping was going to be possible

  16. The 10-17 FE / minidome combination works great on DX camera's; on full frame it's not that good. I did some tests with this lens behind 4" and 6" domes the other day, see my post here.

    Best regards,

    --Rob

  17. The 10-17 FE / minidome combination works great on DX camera's; on full frame it's not that good. I did some tests with this lens behind 4" and 6" domes the other day, see my post here.

    Best regards,

    --Rob

    Thanks Rob, i actually was reading that when you commented on this thread. and yeah ill be using a cropped frame camera (canon 7d) i wouldnt use the mini dome/10-17 combo on a full frame camera

  18. I've just got back from the Maldives (Chaaya Reef). I'm a Tokina 10-17 user too for WA. I did find though the sharks hovering around that part of the Maldives couldn't be shot with a 10-17m. I just couldn't get close enough.

     

    I'd agree that it depends where you are as to whether a 10-17 is suitable. It sure works in Mark and Steve's terrific pics!

  19. The Maldives, contrary to popular belief might be a good place to see requiem sharks but it's not a good place to photograph them. The currents are too strong and you cannot get close since baiting for photography was banned some years ago.

     

    It's good for mantas and juvenile whalesharks though!

    Edited by John Bantin
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.