Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Vacuum Pumps Again!

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Vacuum Pumps Again!

32 posts
  1. Saw the Nauticam vacuum test set-up (with Vacuvin pump and LED indicator almost identical to the Hugycheck system) at the London International Dive Show today. It looks good but it's not got an official name yet. I bet all top-end housing manufacturers will go this way soon.

  2. Saw the Nauticam vacuum test set-up (with Vacuvin pump and LED indicator almost identical to the Hugycheck system) at the London International Dive Show today. It looks good but it's not got an official name yet. I bet all top-end housing manufacturers will go this way soon.

    I attended Beneath the Sea today and was told Nauticam has one in the works that will have wiring that shows a green led when vacuum present and red when it detects moisture is present. Also saw the Backscatter system.

    Edited by eyu
  3. If i need to save on baggage weight will there be an adaptor for my Swedish man pump?

  4. Simon, I think you mixing up your pumps.:)

  5. The vacuum system appears to replace the leak detector (after all, once you've got moisture, you're done!). IT shows red at normal atmospheric pressure and green at the set reduced pressure. If air leaks in it goes back to red.

    Wouldn't you prefer to discover a leak with air rather than water? I know I would!

  6. I'll be getting a few of them that's for sure. I use upto 4 housings a day and let my guides set them up so a system like this could certainly give me some welcome insurance. As you say, it wont be long before every manufacturer is offering it.

    However i'm sure they wont be cheap, so to justify the budget with my wife she'll need to see some benefit from it - which brings me back to compatability with the aforementioned Swedish Pumps :P

  7. The vacuum system appears to replace the leak detector (after all, once you've got moisture, you're done!). IT shows red at normal atmospheric pressure and green at the set reduced pressure. If air leaks in it goes back to red.

    Wouldn't you prefer to discover a leak with air rather than water? I know I would!

    I agree that the Leak Detector does not really help that much! If you see it blinking it is most likely already too late anyway.

    I think that it is inevitable that they are starting to fit it into the Housings.

    Unfortunately a bit too late for my Nauticam D800 Housing. Luckily enough there are 3rd party solution available.

    Hmm, I wonder if Nauticam will sell it separately, in order to fit it afterwards?

     

    /Erik

  8. I’m sure it will be available as a retrofit product but seems only compatible with Nauticam housings.

  9. Since using the Gates Seal check, life has got less stressful. I love it, when working with all other factors going on knowing that when I jump in the water the housing won't flood is a major bonus. One tip though is to remember to take the vacuum pump onto the vessel just in case you need to open the housing as the small vacuum it pulls will prevent you opening the housing.

  10. Any idea on the availability date and price?

  11. Where did the "Swedish" enter the pump name, Simon? Swedes are well known for not needing any help in that area!

  12. Indeed Bent, You're Danish by heritage arent you?

    Looks like a great system, and jokes aside i think i'll get one.

    Bent has been using one for years. :mocking:

  13. I find it rather ironic that the post after Simons "swedish" dig was from Viking from Sweden! (no offence E_Viking!! :) )

     

    Bent.. would you like me to slap Simon for you?

  14. I find it rather ironic that the post after Simons "swedish" dig was from Viking from Sweden! (no offence E_Viking!! :) )

     

    Bent.. would you like me to slap Simon for you?

    No offence taken! It was simply not worth commenting :B):

    Well, I assume that he will have to " stand up" to his comment anyway!

     

    /Erik

  15. I find it rather ironic that the post after Simons "swedish" dig was from Viking from Sweden! (no offence E_Viking!! :) )

     

    Bent.. would you like me to slap Simon for you?

    That would be great! Several times would be good!
  16. Any chance of someone posting some pics of the Nauticam system.

  17. Let's look on the bright side: Once Nauticam users have adopted this system it will keep the Nauticam Mafia off the backs of those that use other makes of housing!

  18. That’s what you think Bantin! Buwahahahaha!!

  19. hi there! any news on the Nauticam vaccuum system (price/availability)?

  20. I wonder if Aquatica is working on something similar.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.