Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens choices for Olympus Pen E-PL5

Started by unemployed.com ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens choices for Olympus Pen E-PL5

8 posts
  1. Hello All, I have recently purchased the Olympus Pen E-PL5 and housing and the 60mm macro lens and want to puchase a second lens to use for non-macro shooting, anyone out there have experience with this set up and/or suggestions?

  2. Hello All, I have recently purchased the Olympus Pen E-PL5 and housing and the 60mm macro lens and want to puchase a second lens to use for non-macro shooting, anyone out there have experience with this set up and/or suggestions?

     

    There are many active discussions of this question in various forums. It also depends on whether you have the Oly or the Nauticam housing.

     

    Check out for example:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46536

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48650

     

    http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/440894-om-d-rig-step-step.html

     

    The short answer is probably one of these two options

     

    1. Add multipurpose lens (12-50mm)

     

    2. Go for a wide angle (7-14mm, or 9-18mm)

     

    Personally, I find that my 9-18mm and 60mm are the ones I use most often (I also have the 12-50 and 14-40)

    Edited by ProfF
  3. You may want to consider the 8mm FE Pana lens as well. With some practice you can get fantastic results.

    But you it may also be a bit extreme depending on your type of shooting.

    In that case I would opt for the 9-18mm instead.

     

    I have the 45mm macro, the 12-50mm, the 9-18mm, the 8mm. I use mainly the macro and fisheye....

    Edited by nudibranco
  4. I have the Olympus housing, I want to get the 9-18mm but I'm not sure if it will work with the housing...

  5. According to olympus, the 9-18 works in the standard port. This has been true for all Pen housings.

     

    I shoot an epl2 in the oly housing and primarily use the 9-18. However, I use the Zen 100 port.

    I have recently purchased the 60mm and will be using this also behind the zen.

    The 9-18 produces better images than the kit lens. Looking forward to trying the 60mm.

  6. What do you guys set the focus range on the macro lens at? 0.19 to infinity or .19-0.4m.

     

    Do you find it makes a difference?

  7. What do you guys set the focus range on the macro lens at? 0.19 to infinity or .19-0.4m.

     

    Do you find it makes a difference?

     

    Setting the macro lens focus range to .19-0.4m will make a big (bad) difference if you want to focus on a subject more than .4m away. :)

  8. I always set the lens from .19 to .4 since in my hands at least, it focuses much faster that way with minimal hunting.

    Bill

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.