Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Building a simple snoot

Started by jefdriesen ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Building a simple snoot

2 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Inspired by several of the homemade snoots here on wetpixel (1,2), I wanted to try and make one myself. I took my Sea & Sea YS-110 strobe to the hardware store, to find the necessary parts. The end result doesn't look too bad. So far I only tested on land, but the lighting is a bit disappointing. The loss of power is significant higher then I expected. Are there any tricks to reduce this power loss somewhat?

     

    I think this loss is partly due to the fact that the YS-110 has three flashtubes which are off-center, and slightly pointed outwards (for a wider beam I assume). So the light is fired in the wrong direction and not straight into the opening in the center. Also the part of the snoot that is attached to the strobe has an inner tube (see picture below) that might be blocking some of the light. Does anyone have ideas on how to improve my snoot?

     

    post-23472-0-06505400-1369383753_thumb.jpgpost-23472-0-20822800-1369383764_thumb.jpg

     

    Jef

  2. The inner tube will most likely be the problem.

     

    How to solve it? Throw it away and use Photoshop ! :evilgrin:

     

    Jock

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.