Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Wetpixel Lembeh Workshop 2013

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 51Posts
  • 51Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Lembeh Workshop 2013

51 posts
  1. I am in Singapore waiting for my flight tomorrow morning onwards to Manado for the Wetpixel Lembeh Workshop. Group leader and workshop instructor Alex Mustard is there already and comments:

     

    And after the welcome to the Resort, the underwater welcome as only Lembeh Strait can do. I got here just in time to night dive, so after 1 dive: 5 frogfish (inc. 2 hairy), stargazer, bobbit worm, coral mimicking nudis (Phyllodesmium rudman/jacobsen and Marionia sp.) loads of mating nudis, crabs and shrimps everywhere, pygmy squid etc etc. It promises to be a very productive stay!

     

    I spent yesterday evening hanging out with David Cheung of Scubacam after picking up some last minute gear that has been provided for testing on the trip:

     

    singapore-2815.jpg

    (David and Sanah at Scubacam)

     

    We plan to provide regular updates on this thread, and to encourage the workshop participants to do the same. Please check back often as the trip progresses!

     

    Adam

     

  2. I have to admit, I am already installed at Lembeh Resort and already having an amazing time.

     

    I'd never done a daytime dive on the house reef in all my previous visits, but I thought I'd check it out before the group starts turning up. We met this little fellow amongst some other rather attractive residents.

     

    post-713-0-18408200-1381413480_thumb.jpg

     

    Highlight of the house reef was a yellowy rhinopias - and being on our house reef should mean that we're the only ones who'll be shooting him. Although since we're all booked up for boat diving - he's probably not going to get that many visitors. It is nice to know the blue ring is there too - right next to him - but I suspect it will be harder to find reliably.

     

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153326669890713&set=a.129989815712.206702.796325712&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

     

    And there is this smashing red one just up the strait. Here shot with single strobe backlighting:

     

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=226703654155952&set=a.187063704786614.1073741828.187037418122576&type=1&theater

     

    Sorry to link both from Facebook, but the connection is slow at this time of day (with everyone online) and I've not the patience for two more uploads.

     

    Alex

     

     

  3. Alex,

    just a few question / remark on the aperture question regarding uw macro: the rather old "dispute" between maximum depht of field versus diffraction when using smallest apertures like f/32. I guess your picture with the blue ring is likely not more than f/16, thus the ending parts of the animal's body are unsharp.

    I recently discussed this question with Kurt Amsler and he believes that the smaller the aperture the better overall the picture since larger depth of field is more pleasing despite maybe a bit less sharp overall on the focus point area -due to diffraction- than with a modest aperture let's say f/11 or f/16.

    What is your opinion on this?

     

    Juerg

  4. Sanah.. you are looking very colourful! :)

  5.  

    I recently discussed this question with Kurt Amsler and he believes that the smaller the aperture the better overall the picture since larger depth of field is more pleasing despite maybe a bit less sharp overall on the focus point area -due to diffraction- than with a modest aperture let's say f/11 or f/16.

    What is your opinion on this?

     

     

     

    I think it depends on the situation. Lembeh sand is arguably the ugliest background in all the world of diving - so our workshop is very much focused on getting rid of it in our photos. I think that the vast majority of photos taken here are little more than snap-shots - not because the subjects are poor, but because of the background is too distracting. And we have to always think to lessen its impact in our photos. There are many ways to do this - framing, lighting, depth of field etc - in fact the gang on the workshop are going to have this beaten into them over 11 nights!

     

    In this situation a more in focus background would definitely distract from the impact of the main subject. And I definitely think it was worth opening up the aperture to blur the background so that the octopus stands out. Even though my choice of a wider aperture has meant that the tip of the octopus is out of focus as a result.

     

    If the octopus had been in mid-water, for example, I would have definitely stopped the lens right down to maximise depth of field, because the subject separation would have been taken care of by the situation.

     

    Alex

  6. Dang it, I am just going to miss youguys, I get there in 12 days! :(

  7. I joined Alex at Lembeh Resort along with about half the group today. Many of them had travelled for 26-28 hours to get here, so didn't manage to dive.

     

    I was able to get in on the house reef after dark

     

    Night dive-88456.jpg

     

    Night dive-88392.jpg

     

    Night dive-88369.jpg

     

    We will be diving tomorrow, and the rest of the workshop participants should be arriving. The actual workshop will start "in earnest" on Sunday.

     

    Adam

     

     

     

  8. Since I have woken up early, I will make use of the internet without too much competition to post some of my photos that I have processed so far. These are mainly ones I have processed to use in my talks - as I have spent most of my spare time here so far in meetings with the staff of Lembeh Resort and Critters@Lembeh making sure everything is exactly as I want it for the start of the workshop.

     

    Deep in discussion with Ana (resort manager):

    post-713-0-33410200-1381529623_thumb.jpg

     

    Checking out the house reef - purely for the benefit of the guests!

    post-713-0-57480600-1381529640_thumb.jpg

     

    Rhinopias On House Reef:

    post-713-0-65951300-1381529688_thumb.jpg

     

    WAM shot of another Rhinopias:

     

     

     

     

     

  9. Alex, you look pretty bundled up! What is the water temp.?

  10. Alex, you look pretty bundled up! What is the water temp.?

     

     

    That's a 3mm suit. The padding is on the inside!

  11. Yesterday was the last day before he Workshop started in earnest, so we spent it diving! Lembeh Resort and Critters @ Lembeh were super organized so we were able to get out onto the sites quickly.

     

    Lembeh immediately started being productive with hairy frogfish, blue-tinged octopus, harlequin shrimp and wonderpus being seen and photographed.

     

    Day 2-88582.jpg

     

    Day 2-88615.jpg

     

    Day 2-88643.jpg

     

    The rest of the group arrived in the afternoon and after a wonderful sunset:

     

    Day 2-surface-2851.jpg

     

    Alex kicked off the workshop proper with a welcome, introduction to how it is all going to work.

     

    Day 2-surface-2857.jpg

     

    Today will see 30 photographers attending a technique session after breakfast, followed by putting it all into practice in the water!

     

    More later!

     

     

     

     

  12. wow, great turnout!

  13. Day 1 of the workshop started with Alex giving a presentation about lens choices after breakfast.

     

    Then it was off on the boats to put it all into practice. We are using 4 boats of which 2 stayed out for 2 dives, while the others returned between dives. Alex gave a talk after lunch giving more hints, this time about strobe and camera settings. Once again, this was followed by the boats departing to put these new lessons into practice!

     

    Some folks elected to go out and do a night dive too!

     

    Lembeh is being really productive! There are fascinating subjects everywhere. In fact, the guides from Critters @ Lembeh were getting tired from having to swim so hard to show us new animals!

     

    Day 3-surface-2858.jpg

    Lembeh Resort's camera room is pretty full.

     

    Day 3-88987.jpg

     

    Day 3-88932.jpg

     

    Day 3-88854.jpg

     

    Day 3-surface-2899.jpg

     

    More tomorrow!

     

    Edited by adamhanlon
  14. The gear!

     

    post-713-0-34601400-1381742803_thumb.jpg

     

    Alex

  15. Stix floats are certainly well represented.

  16. Once again another wonderful day in Lembeh!

     

    Alex delivered a presentation on subject selection after which, we went and selected subjects! His talk ran over, so we rescheduled a session after lunch to allow him to finish.

     

    Everyone has done at least three dives today, and then most folks submitted images for a group image review in the evening. The lessons of the workshop are obviously paying off, as the standard of the submitted images was very high.

     

    Here are a few of mine from today and yesterday:

     

    Day 3-surface-2882.jpg

     

    Day 3-surface-2888.jpg

     

    Day 4-89423.jpg

     

    Day 4-89311.jpg

     

    Day 4-89160.jpg

     

    Adam

     

     

     

     

  17. I love the gear shot!!

     

    Looks like you guys are having a fantastic and super productive time! Can't wait to see more shots.

     

    ~abi

  18. My first ever rhinopia... Lembeh Photo Workshop

     

    post-36111-0-90826100-1381850381_thumb.jpg

  19. Wetpixel Lembeh Workshop:

     

    Participant images

     

    Hi folks,

     

    I am starting to post images taken by the participants of the workshop. The internet connection here is somewhat limited, so please excuse both the number of images and the somewhat random collation of them....

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 03.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 04.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 05.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 06.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 07.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 08.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 09.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 10.JPG

  20. And, here is a bunch more.....

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 11.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 12.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 13.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 14.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 15.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 16.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 17.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 18.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 19.JPG

     

    Wetpixel_lembeh_participant_ 20.JPG

     

     

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.