Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 150MM macro F2.8-Any experiences/pictures out there?

Started by TomR1 ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 150MM macro F2.8-Any experiences/pictures out there?

25 posts
  1. After many trials i have concluded that I simply cannot house my Af-105-VR in my particular port/ housing setup because and extension of the lens means I must switch to a multi-piece port that the AF 105 wont fit in. However, unlike the 105 I can simply remove the limiting switch on the Sigma 150 and it will fit.

     

    The result is that I am going to give the Sigma another try in Wakatobi in February.

     

    On my first try it did not seem that the 150 mm gave me much more working distance over the 105 because the lens is longer. Therefore, using a subsee, the 105 seemed superior. However, I only spent 1 day with the rig. Any other experiences out there?

     

    In addition an opinion was previously posted that whereas at 1:1 the 150 does not give more magnification than the 105, at less than 1:1 it will. Any experience with that?

     

    Regards,

     

    Tom

     

     

  2. ... snip ...

     

    In addition an opinion was previously posted that whereas at 1:1 the 150 does not give more magnification than the 105, at less than 1:1 it will. Any experience with that?

     

    I think that comment came from me and may need a bit of clarification. At the closest focus distance all life-size macro lenses give, by definition, the same 1:1 magnification. However, shorter focal length macro lenses reach this magnification at shorter focus distance. For a single element lens, 1:1 magnification requires that the sensor-to-lens and lens-to-subject distance are the same and equal to twice the focal length of the lens. Multi-element macro lenses cheat by reducing the focal length as you focus closer. So your 105mm lens has a true 105mm focal length when focusing at infinity but is closer to 80mm or so at its minimum focus distance. This allows for internal focusing while keeping the total lens length reasonable. It also means that the working distance for a single element lens is twice the focal length, but a bit less for a multi-element macro lens.

     

    With a bit of experimenting or googling you should be able to find the minimum focus and working distances for your lenses and I expect they will be about 1.5x longer for the 150mm lens. Whether the extra working distance is a boon or a bust depends on what you want to do. When shooting at the same distance the 150mm will magnify 1.5x that of a 100mm lens. It is like adding a 1.4x teleconverter to your 105mm lens without loosing a stop of light as a TC would do. But another way to look at it is that to create the same composition, you will need to shoot from a longer distance with the 150mm lens, and that breaks the golden rule of UW photography: get as close as possible. As a result most consider 150mm or longer macro lenses as specialty lenses that are great if your subject doesn't allow you to get as close as you would like, or to use in combination with a diopter to get closer and go beyond 1:1 magnification. However, for general use most prefer a ~105mm or even shorter macro lens.

     

    Bart

  3. I have some shots with the 150 if I can find them, but one thing to keep in mind is that while both lenses give you 1:1 adding the SubSee will give you more ultimate magnification than the 100.

    Bill

  4. All-

     

    I checked the lens specifications and found the Nikon AF-105-VR has a working distance of 6" and the Sigma 150 has a working distance of not quite 8"

     

    I travel to Wakatobi yearly. 30m visability is routine so the effective shooting distance is controlled more by the ability of the strobes to penetrate the water than the effect of the water on what the lens sees.

     

    If I get further away from the subject I seem to be able to light the subject more precisely and bring out the texture of the subject better.

     

    I am wondering if others have experimented in this realm.

     

    Tom

  5. Not exactly the same lens; I use a Sigma 180 macro for fish portraits mainly. Minimum working distance about 55cm which means I can't use it here in NL, but it works in tropical waters. See example: http://www.in2thedeep.com/Under/Portraits/i-TXTw5CH

    --Rob

  6. Not exactly the same lens; I use a Sigma 180 macro for fish portraits mainly. Minimum working distance about 55cm which means I can't use it here in NL, but it works in tropical waters. See example: http://www.in2thedeep.com/Under/Portraits/i-TXTw5CH

    --Rob

    What are you using for a port for the Sigma 180 on the Nauticam?

  7. I use it with a Subal flat port FP-102B

  8. Those are som pretty clear pictures. However, did you shoot any macro subjects?

     

    Tom

  9. Hi Tom,

    topside I did, look at the 'Bugs' section in my site www.in2thedeep.com I took the photos of the dragonflies with this lens.

    I'm curious about how it behaves with a +10 subsee

    --Rob

  10. I have a +5 and +10 subsee that I will use with this lens. The shots are very clear. The underwater shots have limited POP from the strobes. The lighting is even and brings out the detail on the surfaces. It is an interesting look.

  11. The fish portraits are made with a single strobe pointing forward (see attached photo for strobe position). Topside macro photo's with ambient light only (dragonflies backlit by early morning light).

    --Rob

     

     

    post-7565-0-42418800-1385757796_thumb.jpg

  12. I will spend at leats a couple of days diving with the 150mm in Wakatobi. I will post subsea shots when I return. Thanks for the strobe placement shot. Generally I use dual side view (z240) at the same level as the lens.

     

    Tom

  13. Anyone know how to calculate the minimum and maximum focus distance using a diopter on a 150mm lens. I have a Nikon T5 (1.5) and T6 (2.6) diopters and am wondering if I should try to mount one (or 2) inside my port. I also have +5 and +10 SubSee wet diopters. What do the experts suggest for clear water in Wakatobi?

     

    Tom

  14. The max focus distance from the optical center of the diopter is the same as the focal length of the diopter and does not depend on which lens is behind it. For +10 and +5 the focal lengths are 100 and 200mm, respectively (although I'm not sure if that applies to above or below water conditions). I don't know the nomenclature that Nikon uses.

    The min focus distance does depend on the lens you use. I used to have a spreadsheet that would calculate all of that plus impact on magnification, aperture, etc. but am not sure where it is, assuming I still have it somewhere. Perhaps there are websites that will do this for you.

     

    In practise; I would just go out with the +5 SubSee first which will offer plenty of challenge for a start.

     

    Bart

  15. Bart,

     

    Thanks. The maximum focus distance for the 6T is 13.6" and for the 5T is 26.25". After you posted your explanation I looked this up. It seems that I should mount one or the other (dry) because one rarely takes successful shots underwater from beyond that distance. I have used both the +5 and +10 SubSee (wet) on my 105 so I know how difficult it is.

     

    So the next question for the gurus on this board is what is the difference in magnification at about a foot using the 5T or 6T versus using nothing on the Sigma 150?

  16. Tom,

     

    If I remember right, the filter size on the Sigma 150mm is 72mm and the thread on the Nikon T5 and T6 close-up lenses is 62mm. So they would not work on the Sigma 150.

     

    Fred

  17. I have a step down ring and am using a DX camera so it ought to work.

  18. So the next question for the gurus on this board is what is the difference in magnification at about a foot using the 5T or 6T versus using nothing on the Sigma 150?

     

    To get a true answer you have to go out and try. If you can't wait, the link below mentions a spreadsheet you can download to do these kind of calculations and a link to a document with optical formulas. I think you will find it more enjoyable to take your camera on a dive and find out the experimental way.

     

    Bart

     

    http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/macro-lens-calcs.html

    Edited by Glasseye Snapper
  19. Here's a quick chart from the Aquatica website with respect to magnifications possible using the more popular macro lens lengths:

     

    Maximum magnification with popular lens:

     

    from: http://www.aquatica.ca/en/accessories_closeup.html

     

    Lens Close-up lens +5 Close-up lens +10

    60mm 1.2:1 1.5:1

    100mm 1.5:1 2.1:1
    105mm 1.5:1 2.2:1
    150mm 1.9:1 2.8:1
    200mm 2.3:1 3.5:1

    S.

    Edited by Stewart L. Sy
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.