Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wet diopter for supermacro....

Started by Merlinos ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Wet diopter for supermacro....

24 posts
  1. Wet diopter for supermacro....

    Hi guyz....

     

    I want to buy a close-up attachment for my subal N10 (for nikon F100.....I know....I'm not yet a digital photographer!! :) )

     

    Which one??? There's the nexus wet lens here and the macromate macro lens here and the subal one here

     

    I'm quite interested in the macromate for the 2:1 macro images !!

     

    is anybody try these diopter??

     

    PS: sorry, but I posted on "techniques and tips".....39 readers....no answers! :?

  2. I've used the Nexus one, also known in the US as "Woody's Diopter" (I bought mine here: http://www.nexusamerica.com/ ). It did work well but did not give 90% magnification with my Ike housing and Tamron 90mm lens. Check out the tests at www.barrylipman.com (in the section on technical info for photographers) for some info on the diopter's performance.

     

    Mike

  3. For the price and level of magnification, the Subal/Nexus diopter are fantastic. I too recommend buying it from Woody Mayhew at Nexus America....

     

    Linda Cline (mandarinfish) has the wetmate lens and she'll be a better source of info on that.

     

    Stu

  4. Woody's dioptre has been around for a while. I know only one photographer who is using one. He uses it with the 70 to 180 and a Subal D10 and he seems pretty happy.

     

    Unless the design has changed substantially it is just a close up lens mounted into a hole on a port cover.

     

    If Chris Bangs is reading this thread I'd be interested to hear what he uses for his 10:1 macro.

  5. Hello,

     

    I've been using the Woody's Diopter consistently with good results for my Fuji s2 and Ike housing. With the 60mm lens, it decreased the minimum focussing distance from 10 inches to about 6 inches. I have been very happy with the sharpness and detail I've gotten. I can post some examples if you're interested. I've heard from other forum members that it really "shines" with the 105mm. I've yet to try it due to my bad experience with the 105mm focussing poorly in low light conditions. I'll try it once I get the L&M Mod light. I really like the versatility of popping it on and off. Can't beat the price for about $79.

     

    John

  6. I would love to see your "examples."

  7. This diopter is especially effective wih the 70-180. The magnification claims are spurious since diopters don't work that way. A diopter works in two ways; first it allows you to get closer, and second it modifies the focusing range of the lens. Since modern lenses are varifocal, the second way has variable effect but is especially good with the 70-180. The effect is specific to your lens and port but I would expect it to be least useful with the 60mm. If you like it with the 60mm you'll love it with longer lenses.

     

    Sorry to hear the Tamron 90mm doesn't benefit too much.

  8. Backscatter sells a stronger achromat diopter that is supposed to be VERY sweet:

     

    http://www.backscatter.com/HostedStore.Las...5bd7fe47c8ea0eb

     

    I haven't tried it yet, but apparently you can get them for Aquatica, Sea and Sea, and Subal, Secam and LMI.

     

    It has two elements which is supposed to give a sharper picture with less chromatic aberration. I will ask them about sending Wetpixel one to review.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Backscatter sells a stronger achromat diopter that is supposed to be VERY sweet:

     

    http://www.backscatter.com/HostedStore.Las...5bd7fe47c8ea0eb

     

    I haven't tried it yet, but apparently you can get them for Aquatica, Sea and Sea, and Subal, Secam and LMI.

     

    It has two elements which is supposed to give a sharper picture with less chromatic aberration. I will ask them about sending Wetpixel one to review.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Greatz!! 'cos I'm quite interested in this one!! :(

    supermacro 2:1 is so amazing.....and so difficult too !!!

    First, I thought that x2 converter (Kenko) on my 105 will be great.....but the lost of light is so strong :( ....I will carry out some tests.....with a 50 watt focus light !!! :)

     

    If anyone have 2:1 picture.....I'm interested in seeing them !!!

  10. MacroMate

    Berkley White of Backscatter has some lovely photos taken with the MacroMate, and has considerable in-water experience using it with a 105 Micro-Nikkor on a D100. I have one and the build quality seems excellent, but since I got it I haven't been in the water for macro subjects. Somehow it doesn't seem so practical for white sharks or manta rays, my last two shoots.

     

    Berk ... can you share some images?

  11. I think the Backscatter folks are at a show this week but I've sent them an email so that they can visit this thread.

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. Another option for macro around 2:1 is to use a 200mm with internal diopters (or the Sigma/Tamron 180mm). The 200mm is 1 stop faster than the 105mm plus 2x converter.

  13. As Stu mentioned, I have one of the macromates (as well as a couple of the Nexus diopters) and from my tests, the macromate is a much more effective option. But as with Steve, I haven't taken it in the water yet. I leave for Thailand on Saturday and so far it hasn't made the "take" list (I have too much stuff!). A friend uses the one for the LMI video housings and his macro work has improved dramatically. I hope to get a chance to do some work soon with mine.

     

    P.S. Anyone know if there are pygmies in Thailand? (If so, I'll make room for the macromate)

  14. I have to disagree, "Woody's" diopter works really well with the Tamron 90mm.

     

    Stu

  15. I've used Woody's diopter with Nikon's 105 macro lens and a D100, with excellent results. With that combination, it's effectively a 225mm lens. See examples on my website, http://www.ehanauer.com/GalleryFrameset.html <link edited by James> click on Papua New Guinea.

  16. Here's a shot taken with the 10D, Tamron 90mm and Woody's Diopter...on autofocus.

     

    pygmy.jpg

     

    Pygmy Seahorse on Coral. Anilao, Batangas, Philippines.

     

    Stu

  17. Hello all...

    I shot these uncropped images with our MacromateSLR lens, Nikon D100, 105 micro, minimum focus, Light & Motion Titan Housing with Sea & Sea flat port. The seahorse was actually pulled back from minimum about 1/4 turn on my focus knob to keep from clipping too much tail.

     

    The SLR Macromate will produce a 2:1 reproduction on a 35mm format. Most video cameras will produce a 3:1 ratio.

     

    Diopter lenses are designed for use in air. If you place them directly in water they loose power and require you to use a more extreme lens to achieve the target magnification. Affordable lenses at this extreme are unable to produce sharp edges.

     

    We selected the sharpest achromate (twin lens) optics we could find and sealed them inside an airtight optical port. By installing the optics in a sealed housing, they actually gain power from air water refraction. Thus, you can use lower power lenses and maintain sharp edges while hitting the target reproduction. Unfortunately, this design is more expensive. I'll try to get our macromate gallery posted soon...

     

    Cheers,

    Berkley White

    www.backscatter.com

  18. Berk,......

     

    INCREDIBLE!!!! The first picture blew me away!!!! :shock:

    One or two more pictures and I'll buy macromate from backscatter!!! :)

  19. I converted a couple more NEF's that were shot with the Macromate. No crop, minimum focus, otherwise same specs as my previous post.

     

    Thanks for the emails. I look forward to meeting some of you at the Fiji Shootout.

     

    Berkley

    www.backscatter.com

  20. So, is it the case that this diopter has two additional glass elements just to seal it? If so, it has 6 glass-to-air boundries in addtion to the mandatory 2 glass-to-water boundries. You could achieve this more effectively by putting the diopter inside the port (except that you can't remove it).

     

    Clearly, the purpose of this is to get a higher powered diopter in a wetmount. Low power diopters have less problem with CA especially when compared to a flat port so they have less need for two elements. In any event I prefer the majority of my diopter power to come from a fixed diopter inside the port and the wetmate to be be relatively mild. I know what range of focus I need so this is not a limitation.

     

    I'd like to know of specific setups that produce 2:1 and 3:1 with this diopter. I assume that means a long dimension of 24mm and 12mm.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.