Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony Alpha A6000

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 40Posts
  • 40Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony Alpha A6000

40 posts
  1. I've seen a lot of OMD EM users here, any reason not consider the Sony m43? What make Olympus so good? I know their NEX6 has slow focus, but the soon to be release Alpha A6000 seems promising, provided there will be housing for it. Thought?

  2. Sony is APS-C, not m43. I have the NEX-6 as my walkabout camera with the Sony 18-105 and just love it. If the A6000 is housed, I'll be getting one. I can easily get a Metabones EF adapter to use my Canon lenses.

     

    S.

  3. From day one the problem with the Sony NEX system was a lack of quality lenses in the E-mount suited to underwater photography. The Zeiss 12mm, 50mm macro and Sony 10-18mm zoom has helped with these issues but Olympus/Panasonic still have a far wider range of quality lenses for U/W use.

  4. My bad, I mean Sony's M43 form factor eventhough they're ASP-C sensor.

     

    As for the lens, how many different kind of lens is needed for U/W use? The Zeiss 12mm would be enough to cover WA, while the 50mm Macro would be enough to cover Macro.

     

    When come to think of if, most Canon users get by using the Tokina 11-17mm for WA, and 60mm or 100mm for macro. So I don't really understand the lack of lens choices issue. If the issue is "lack of affordable lens choices", yeah that I can understand because I'm not sure if I could put $2000 for the Zeiss 12mm and the extender that goes with it.

     

    I'm considering moving away from point and shoot, so far the A6000 catch my attention for its price, and the GH4 is almost "future proof" for the next 5 years for its 4K video feature. GH4 doesn't have any Metabone adapter for me to use my Canon lens (I'm a formal Canon 7D user), so that bother me a bit.

  5. I got ride of my NEX-7 system well over two years ago, the Zeiss 50 macro is still a pre-order lens and several NEX users are just now using the Zeiss 12mm both excellent lenses I am sure. Workarounds for macro plus adapter are now in the market and most are manual focus. Add a lens like Tokina 10-17 and you now need manual zoom and focus. Just downsides compared to native lenses that are designed smaller than 35mm lenses, use smaller ports and have excellent auto-focus.

  6. Horses for course, right? As the recipient of Phil's NEX7 I can say i never looked back.

     

    Between the zeiss 12mm, Sony 10-18mm, Zeiss 50mm and a 90mm macro rumored to arrive by YE, I think the NEX system looks to be slowly maturing. About right considering it is 18-2yrs behind m4/3 in terms of release.

     

    Would be nice to have a fisheye zoom but that is about it.

  7. Just found out the Zeiss Touit 12mm lens doesn't have Image Stabilization, for a $1000 lens, that's disappointing isn't it? May be the A6000 is a good top side camera to replace my Canon 7D, for underwater, I probably should stick with my point and shoot and keep an eye on GH4.

  8. Don't see OSS being so useful underwater.

  9. Image Stabilization is important for my application, as I shoot video besides taking photos.

  10. You may all be interested to know that Nauticam has just announced the new housing for the Sony A-5000, you may need to wait for it a bit as it is not yet posted on the Nauticamusa site. Now on the front page of Wetpixel.

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  11. Yes! Just finish reading that, the exciting part is the Nauticam support the use of Metabone adapter so people can use the Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens! I'm sure it's just a matter of time they will make the housing for the A6000. However, I'm really torn with the GH4 vs A6000 now!

  12. Re e-mount lenses, we're using the Sony Zeiss 16-70 in our FS700.

     

    It's a great little lens, min focus is at 35cm throughout the focal length, autofocus is pretty quick and tracks nicely, wonderfully sharp across the whole frame and no distortion.

     

    My only complaints, it could do with being a tad wider and a tad faster, but as an all round lens, from wide up to macro, it does pretty well.

  13. Looks like Sony will also enter the 4K market tomorrow with the announcement of the "full frame" Sony 4K A7s rumored to be a 12MP high speed camera.

  14. Yes, looks like Nauticam is going to be busy, from potentially making housing for the A6000, to the 4K capable A7S. Good thing I don't have a big trip coming up until March 2015, so I will have time to wait and blow money during Xmas this year! :mocking:

  15. It'll be an interesting option if the rumours are true, I'll wait till an official release before I get too excited though ;)

  16. Yup, waiting is the only game for now, many people already jumped on the GH4.

  17. I just got an update from Dale Photographic in Leeds on the 50mm macro:

     

    "These lenses are due in the next 6-8 weeks.

    We don¹t have a delivery date from Zeiss yet."

     

    More delay over a lens that was originally scheduled for Jan and then slipped to March! Dale have it listed for pre-order at £790.

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. Is the slow flash sync speed a problem with sony cameras underwater?

  19. it can be considering your shooting style, particularly around getting dark backgrounds.

     

    i.e. black background for macros shallow or mid day or darker blues for wide angle.

     

    I've shot sharks and schools at 1/160 no problem but could be for faster action (i.e. dolphins, sailfish, etc). That said, I haven't seen much strobe use for those animals as has the preference has been for mobility underwater.

     

    others can weigh in. its definitely a negative but not a deal breaker.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.