Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 7D Mk II compatibility with existing 7D housings?

Started by mcliffy2 ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 7D Mk II compatibility with existing 7D housings?

23 posts
  1. This is always the pipe dream when a new camera is released. At a quick glance the layout of buttons looks identical, so maybe there is a chance? Any further insights are appreciated.

  2. Looking forward to finding out. I see two small differences so far. The button to turn the mode dial like on the 5D MKIII would require setting the mode before you close up the housing. Not a deal breaker for me. And the new rotating switch around the joy stick , not sure what the function is.

    Fingers crossed, how much fun would that new auto focus system be shooting macro!

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. If you're currently shooting with an SPL A-Series with a 5d MKIII, then you're in luck because it has the same configuration as the 7d MKII. However an existing 7d housing won't work. If you have an aquatech, then it's a simple tray and backplate replacement, then you're good to go.

  4. If you're currently shooting with an SPL A-Series with a 5d MKIII, then you're in luck because it has the same configuration as the 7d MKII. However an existing 7d housing won't work. If you have an aquatech, then it's a simple tray and backplate replacement, then you're good to go.

    Have you actually tried it in a housing? It sure looks pretty close. Slightly larger, but not by much. If you have tried it, are all controls unusable, or are there some that are usable?

  5. To me it looks like the lens mount has shifted a little.

     

    Have to wait and see, but Im not too hopeful.

  6. Here is a side by side comparisons shot by dpverview. Looking at the two, its going to be very close.

     

    post-4290-0-10067200-1410954342_thumb.jpg

  7. Thanks Walt,

    Nauticam and others have come along way in their housing designs since the original 7D came out. I'm sure the new MK II housing when it makes its debut will be much better than the older one, but it sure would be nice to have the choice.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  8. Size wise it's close, a comparison on Dpreview shows the MkII is 1mm wider, 1mm higher and 4mm deeper. The real problems I see with putting the MkII in the old 7D housing are:

    1. I often use the custom settings on the mode dial. On the MkII you have to push a central button to turn the dial, there is no facility to do this on the original 7D housing.
    2. The two controls I use most on the back of the camera are the "Q" button and the joystick control, the Q button is in a completely different place and the joystick control is slightly higher on the MkII so they're not going accessible with the MkII in the original 7D housing.
    3. My wife wants to takeover my 7D when I upgrade to the MkII and I won't have the old housing anyway :)
  9. Thanks Walt,

    Nauticam and others have come along way in their housing designs since the original 7D came out. I'm sure the new MK II housing when it makes its debut will be much better than the older one, but it sure would be nice to have the choice.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    There has, but Im still very happy with my old one - they made a pretty good start I think! Hoping it will be possible, or even a third option comes up where a new back is possible, as that seems to be the major area of difference.

     

    Otara

    Edited by Otara2
  10. Now that the 7D Mark II's are hitting the street, I thought I would resurrect this thread. I have a Nauticam housing for the 7D and would love for the Mark II to be useable in that housing. However, like those commenting above, there is a low probability of it working out. The relocation of the Q button (which doesn't look to be re-assignable) along with other changes may make this idea a beautiful unicorn. I'm not bothered by the prospect of living with a few restrictions (like not being able to change modes) and compensating, where possible - but it looks like the 7D II will probably require a new housing. I look forward to any hands on feedback! Thanks to all for making this forum such a great resource.

  11. I have the 7D2, picking up my housing from my in-laws tomorrow to check, but it looks a lot closer than I expected.

     

    Im not sure it will be that important though so far, in that for u/w I think the 7D holds up pretty well - most of the things I find really exciting for it from a stills perspective are more useful above water in first impressions (ie better AF and more AF locations great for birds/wildlife, much quieter shutter). For video though its a huge improvement, the constant AF is a whole new game for me, as are STM lenses. I think the mode button might be OK, in that it works fine with the button down, a bit of tape might do the job.

     

    Sorry to tease but will know for sure tomorrow, my housing is one of the early nauticams, so if it works for that, should be a fair chance for Ikelite etc which tend to be less tight.

  12. Swweeet! Thanks.

  13. The result is in and..... no is my take.

     

    First hurdle is the tray, won't fit as the 7d2 is slightly wider. I did some brief checking on how it fits if the tray was fixed, and it looks like it might fit but I didn't feel confident enought that Id set about changing the tray - I suspect that width will be the killer once you try to actually close the housing. Its not a slam dunk though so have to hope someone else is in a position to do more research with a proper tray - I'm guessing the new one for the 7d 2 housing might be fine. This was for nauticam, I'd say there may be more of a chance with ikelite or any housing where the tray has a bit more flexibility.

  14. I tend to agree. I looked over the size specs on the Mark II and examined the fit of a 7D (original) in my Nauticam. It seems like the exacting alignment tolerances of the housings gears and buttons would lead to operational problems. It may be possible to modify the reach or placement of the controls slightly but that (if successful) would impact the use of the housing with the original 7D. And it would probably take considerable technical time and skill to do so. I agree that an Ike housing may stand a better chance of modification due to the simplicity of the design.

     

    Oh well - I thank you for your efforts and perhaps some of the retail gurus could give us their take on the issue. Like others, I'm sure that Nauticam and other manufacturers will bring their latest design and technical advancements to a Mark II housing and it will be a winner. I can't wait to see comparative performance reviews of the Mark II underwater to determine if the switch is worth the cost or perhaps wait until Canon unveils new FF models. Although, as much as my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) kicks in from time to time, the original 7D still does a credible job and I don't feel like I have "outgrown" the camera yet.

  15. I have tried the new 7D MkII in an 7d Sea and Sea housing as well and yes you can get certain buttons to work.. well kinda ... most you will not have access to.... so the answer is no

  16. It looks as if the Mark II is getting high marks for low noise at high ISO levels. Overall. the reviews are positive for it as a sports/action camera.

    Edited by megtooth
  17. I have managed to modify my Ikelite 7D house to fit my new 7Dmk2 so i can use it under water.

    I have one more thing to fix an that is on/off that is too short now, but i just need longer screw an put some washers between the rod and plastic piece to get it longer.

    Edited by MacII
  18. Congratulations! Can you give us some modification details for the Ike folks (looks like the tolerances are closer for Nauticam)? Otara2 noted above that the Ike housing might have more conversion potential and it looks like you've proved him/her correct! Also, Otara2 thought that the use of a tray from the Nauticam 7D2 housing might serve to make the 7D2 compatible with the 7D Nauticam housing. Does anyone have access to this combo to test out? Thanks!

  19. Yes it was not so hard, i just used the parts in "push button tip assortment" . Changed the short rubber tip to longer ones, then the button´s can be used.

    This does not work for 100% of the buttons, but its enough to use the camera in the old housing.

    For stabilizing the camera on the plate i just switched on the left pin from the thin one to the one that looks like one with hat on.

    http://www.ikelite.com/accessories/9249-control-tips.html

    Then camera and buttons (most of them) will work.

    The Q button is impossible to reach because it is completely moved to another place.

    i have one more thing to fix and it is on/off button that is too short now, but with a longer screw and some washers it will work too.

    If anybody want some pictures you can send me a mail to kowik@hotmail.com

     

  20. Congratulations! Can you give us some modification details for the Ike folks (looks like the tolerances are closer for Nauticam)? Otara2 noted above that the Ike housing might have more conversion potential and it looks like you've proved him/her correct! Also, Otara2 thought that the use of a tray from the Nauticam 7D2 housing might serve to make the 7D2 compatible with the 7D Nauticam housing. Does anyone have access to this combo to test out? Thanks!

     

    We have this back in our Resort but i'm in Europe at the moment. Can get you a result at the beginning of Feb, but i'm quite sure it will be differently sized from my memory of holding it.

     

    The new 7Dmk2 housing has really lovely ergonomics. It's worth the upgrade in my opinion as original 7D nauticams are still selling at a nice price, as they were such a good product in the first place.

     

     

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.