Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 7D Mk II compatibility with existing 7D housings?

Started by mcliffy2 ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 7D Mk II compatibility with existing 7D housings?

23 posts
  1. They do look beautiful! I am waiting on Canon to release details of the 5D Mark IV later this year (fingers crossed) and get feedback on the performance of the 7D Mark II underwater before taking the plunge for either. A 5D Mark III is not out of the question too - but I agree that the newer housings look to be more ergonomic. Thanks!!

  2. I know this thread is kind of old, but I'd like to bring it up to date. Yes, the 7D housing will work with the 7D MkII with minor limitations. Check my other post at: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55360

     

    I posted some photos of the new controls on my other post.

     

    One step at a time I was able to make modifications on my Ikelite 7D housing to allow it to work with a 7D MkII. I got no cooperation from Ikelite, so I was on my own. The Q button is not reachable, but most all other functions work. Rather than modifying the housing itself, since I still have some 7D bodies besides my 7D MkII, I made new control shafts, so if I need to switch the housing over, no problem. I made a new on-off control, since the original one was marginal at reaching the on-off switch. I made a new control shaft for the AF selection lever. I modified the left-top function knob control. I drilled and tapped a hole in the center, where I inserted a nylon screw, which depresses the center unlock button. I machined a little off the shoulder of the same control to give it a little more in and out range. I removed the plastic spacer washer from the quick control dial on the rear. I had to add one of the longer plastic control feed, or whatever you call them on the play button, and perhaps the delete button. I removed the black nylon screw from the bottom of the camera tray and replaced it with a longer screw, just to make the camera a little more rigid in the housing. There are a number of tiny differences between the two cameras, and some of the existing controls just wouldn't quite reach properly.

     

    I also want to mention, not a single modification was made on the housing itself, two controls were modified and two controls fabricated, so the housing is still 100% compatible with the 7D camera.

     

    I'm about to take the camera and housing to Maui in a couple weeks and will give it a try. I will always have my 7D as a backup. So far, out of water, all of the controls are working. To mention though, there are some functions that will not work, the Q button and the Lock lever on the bottom right of the camera, not a big deal. For a few hours of labor, saved me $1800.00.

     

    The reason I went to the 7D MkII is because of the focus in video mode. I was trying to get away from carrying two cameras, my Canon GL2 and my 30D, so I then went to the 7D but to discover how critical the focus was. I had to stop shooting, re-focus, then continue on, a pain. This camera should cure that problem.

     

    It helps to have a machine shop, over 40 years ago, I built my first movie camera housing, so making these modifications was not a big deal.

     

    Jim emptech at surewest.net

    Edited by emptech
  3. My latest update on the 7d housing with modifications to work with a 7d mk2 camera: Diving with Lahaina Divers, Maui.

     

    The 7d housing with the mk2 cam has been on several dives now. I've had two issues not related to the housing combination.

     

    The two stainless steel screws holding the frame to the camera came loose, one screw fell out into the camera dunk tank on the boat. We found the screw less the washer and was able to get it back into the threaded hole. Once I got to the bottom, I used my knife to tighten the screws, as we were ready to go into the water and I had no time to get into details.

     

    I haven't shot much video with this camera and didn't realize it used a lot more battery power than just shooting stills, so I didn't charge the battery from the previous day's dive. I finished my first dive, worked ok, on my second dive, battery died, but the good news, I didn't miss any shots. I think live view uses more battery power, so I shouldn't use that mode unless actually shooting video.

     

    The only problem dealing with the control mods, the control that depresses the center lock button of the function knob needs to be adjusted. It needs to apply more pressure to the button, most of the time it was OK but wouldn't always release the lock to change modes. I installed a nylon screw, need to back it out a tiny bit.

     

    Sorry Ikelite, I would have loved to buy another $1800 housing but it just wasn't worth it, a lot easier to fabricate three new controls, made them from scratch, did not buy the oem controls from them, mine were better.

     

    I've heard rumor the 5d has the same layout as the 7d mk2, if that's the case, a 7d housing would work too.

     

    I will keep you posted on any changes, and finally, when my photos are complete, I will post the location.

     

    Jim

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.